The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Nav lights on when motor is running?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wood Zeppelin

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Nav lights on when motor is running? Reply with quote

So my navigation lights only seem to come on when the motor is running. With the motor off, and they key in the "on" position, I get power to the dash, etc, but no Nav lighs until I actually turn the key fully clockwise and start and run the motor.

Is that how it's supposed to be?

For example, I'd like to be able to turn the motor off and just float for a few minutes at night without going dark or putting up the anchor light... (?)

Current boats:

1997 22' Angler - "C-Creature"
1988 16' Angler - "E-fishn-C" (Project boat)
1997 16' Cruiser - "Wet-a-Net"

Also:
14.5' Drift Boat - "Wood Zeppelin"
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably wired to the "run" position because the red/green nav. lights are only supposed to be displayed while a boat is underway. An anchor light may be required but it may depend on your location and the speed of your drift.

Rob

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to get. your volt meter out, and find out where the wiring is hooked up. None of my boats have been that way (there the engine had to be running), so someone has changed the factory wiring. It will be very easy for you to change it back, and most likely only will involve a spade connector.

You say "put the anchor light up"? When the red and green navigation lights are one, the all around anchor or steaming light should also be on. A few of the earlier boats had a stern steaming light and forward steaming lights. Is your boat one of these?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he means going up top and installing the anchor light. Mine is removable, and stored in clips in the berth. It is removed for trailering and storage. I only install it when I know I am going to be out after dark.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
An anchor light may be required but it may depend on your location and the speed of your drift.

The anchor light is required to be on (360* White light visible 2 miles) when anchored. If the boat is not anchored and is drifting, it is considered underway, and the red/green side lites and both bow and stern or 360* steaming lights are required. (Navigation rules 20 thru 23 and 30.). I believe that Canadian inland waters are the same as international and US.
Wood Zeppelin

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This raises a really interesting question

My 16' Cruiser only has the red/green Nav light and the "all-around" anchor light.

My 22' Angler has the red/green nav lights, and "all-around" anchor light, and an aft-facing "steaming light". There is no forward facing steaming light.

So now I'm confused. Does this mean both of these boats should be running the anchor light at night so that there is an all-round white light?
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So now I'm confused. Does this mean both of these boats should be running the anchor light at night so that there is an all-round white light?

The answer to your question is "yes". Disconnect the aft steaming light if you running with the all around white.

Some of the C Dorys were built with the aft streaming light (135 degrees). The forward/anchor light is in two sectors: Forward steaming:arc of visibility of 225 degrees. When the "navigation lights were "on", the forward light on the "anchor light" (225*) and the aft sector of that white light is off. The fixed light on the back of the cabin house is on and the aft steaming light.

When you turn the "anchor" light on, both bulbs in the white light are on. So if your boat was converted to a single 360 light, the whole wiring for nav and anchor lights may have been changed---or you may still have two bulbs in the anchor/steaming light. Check to see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: