The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cannon Rail / Side Mount on back rail.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom C-Dory

City/Region: Lake Superior
State or Province: WI
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject: Cannon Rail / Side Mount on back rail. Reply with quote

My 2008 - 25" C-Dory has rails on both sides in the cock pit. Other than installing the Cannon electric down riggers on the built in fiberglass seats in the back corners of the cock pit, I would have to mount them on a Cannon Rail / Side Mount plates on the rails at the "T". Has anyone had any experience running the down riggers on the rail. Is the rail sturdy enought to support the downrigger.
Schuster

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Witch
Photos: Sea Witch
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have a 2007 25' cruiser and have a cross bar between the side rails over the splash well which is where I mount my Bar B Que. I mount my Cannon Downrigger on a Cannon T-bar riser plate. I use a 15lb ball without the boom extended. I will say it has a small amount of spring action but works well enough. It is not my preferred method of mounting. The rails present a problem in that you can't mount the downrigger to the gunnel. I don't feel like modifying the rail system so I'll just continue the way i am. I did consider devising a method using a 2 X 6 fir board between the rails (for the lack of having anything more presentable like a 3/4" thk Kevlar board).
If you figure something better out I'd like to hear about it. Thanks and good luck.

ChapaRRal Cock

City/Region: Port Orchard
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Knotty Lady
Photos: Knotty Lady
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject: downrigger mount Reply with quote

On my tomcat, I mounted clamp-on fishing pole holders onto the rail. And then just drop the downriggers into them with Gimbel mount. The nice thing about that is I use them for my pot puller and also my magma grill. Good luck.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannon Rail / Side Mount on back rail. Reply with quote

Tom C-Dory wrote:
My 2008 - 25" C-Dory has rails on both sides in the cock pit. Other than installing the Cannon electric down riggers on the built in fiberglass seats in the back corners of the cock pit, I would have to mount them on a Cannon Rail / Side Mount plates on the rails at the "T". Has anyone had any experience running the down riggers on the rail. Is the rail sturdy enought to support the downrigger.

Look in my album JMR-TOO. There are some pictures of how I cured the wobbly rail for downrigger mount.👍👍

[url][/url]
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you look pass that once young man and just under the fish you will see what I did. 2 inch stainless steel tube on a a 4x4? plate. notched at the top and welded to the rail and topped by another plate. starboard spacer at base and another under the rail thru bolted with stainless bolts... I dare you to move it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: