The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Intermitent wiper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Intermitent wiper Reply with quote

We get a lot of rainy day in my cruising area, and spray when its not raining. Anyone have installed or know if it will be possible to replace the wiper switch for intermittent switch. I'm considering moving the wiper switches for a more convenient location and will also enjoy and intermittent option.
sparkle; Ericson 25 CB 2008-2012
Sculpin; Drascombe Drifter 2005-2008
C-Wolfe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.marinco.com/en/p/76090/Single-Speed-Wiper-Mot-Controller

https://www.marinco.com/en/p/76030/Intelligent-Wiper-Switch

I found those 2 options, I'm not sure what will work best. Looking forward to any first hand experience on those or anything else that might work.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy.

Just run and new + wire (red) from the hot side of the wiper switch on the DC panel to the + side of the wiper except interrupt that new wire with a push button placed in a convenient place. Then you have the best of both worlds. Both port and starboard wipers on my boat are set up that way and it works great.

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wanting the same thing on my the old TyBoo for breezy days on choppy water when it didn't need to have a wiper running or even making a swipe at set times.

I installed a push button momentary switch near the floor on the helm bulkhead that I could bump or hold as needed. Just a kick would give the wiper one swipe and back to parked or hold it in for a second or three to give it a few wipes. After a very short while it got so I would do it without even thinking about it. Unless it was raining hard I rarely turned the wiper on with the toggle switch.

The button was close to the floor so I didn't have to lift my foot to kick the switch, I would just pivot on the heel to push it. Nobody but me seemed to think it was a good idea until they ran the boat and used the thing one time. I already told Will if he doesn't at least give it a try for a while before he takes it out of the boat he bought from me he would have to give the boat back.

I also put a similar button up high on the port side bulkhead so the passenger could fire the wiper over there for a couple swipes but not turn it on continuously.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done this too. I have a (on)-off-(on) switch mounted where I can operate it while still holding the helm wheel. One way for the port wiper, the other for the starboard wiper. Works great. I've only used this switch in the last few years to operate the wipers as needed. Usually a pass or two from time to time is sufficient. Haven't ever been in a situation where I needed to have the wipers run continuously. Mostly they are used to get spray off the windows.
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just run and new + wire (red) from the hot side of the wiper switch on the DC panel to the + side of the wiper except interrupt that new wire with a push button placed in a convenient place.

I have also done this. Original on/off wiper switches are left in place and I spliced in what is known as a momentary switch for both port and starboard wipers mounted near the top of the dash right behind the steering wheel that is very easy to access. Very easy to bump them as needed and if it rains real hard you can still turn the original switch on full time. I also mounted a separate momentary switch on the port side dash so my second mate can clear her window as needed if I get too busy. Works very well and is a simple inexpensive and reliable install.

Something like this
https://defender.com/en_us/cole-hersee-weather-resistant-rocker-switch-with-momentary-on-m-58031-07-bp

C-Wolfe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses, I'll try some variation of those, I do like the idea of a momentary switch at a more convenient location. It will be a lot cheaper then the intermittent option that I mention above, probably work just as good since it appear to be a common way of improving the issue and more reliable.

TyBoo, I need to give more thought to your idea. As of now, I can't figure out if it is really a good way to do it or if it was just a way for you to get your boat back Cool
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can run a wire from the +12 bus through a switch to the on (i.e. output) terminal of the existing swtich. Makes the two wiper switches in parallel.
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, there is also one of these inexpensive units covered in this thread here:
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=22406

Chris

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Or you can run a wire from the +12 bus through a switch to the on (i.e. output) terminal of the existing switch.

I messed up when I said above: "the hot side of the wiper switch on the DC panel". I meant to say to route the wire from the downstream (switched) side of the switch so that ALL power is withheld from the wiper circuit if the breaker is turned off. Most folks will assume that there is no power in any part of a circuit when the breaker is off. If you route from the positive bus, or somewhere else not controlled by the wiper's breaker, that assumption will be invalid.
Karl Konecny

City/Region: Glide
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Nowhere Fast
Photos: Nowhere Fast
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted intermittent wipers as well so I just replaced the on-off rocker switch with an on-off-mom rocker switch in the same package. Flip the switch in one direction and the wipers are on, touch the switch in the other direction and they make one cycle. The factory switch is not in the most convenient location but I was surprised how quick my hands learned were it was.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: