The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Permatrims: My 2 cents
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C Sniper

City/Region: South Padre Island
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: C Sniper
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Permatrims: My 2 cents Reply with quote

I have read most of the stuff and was lucky my vessle can with permatrims on the twin 40's. Man that was sweet, not only could I smooth it out by stuffing the nose in but also level things out when I had an uneven load. Now after a repower I am down to a single 115 and put about 50 hrs on without one. Wow what a difference! To be fair I am teaching kiteboarding off the boat so I am often out in 20-30 knot winds ripping over a shallow estuary, so very tight bumpy chop. The first 50 hrs I was limited to about 3600 rpm (13 knots) when running into it on the way back in, any faster and the ride was too rough. Me and the my son just installed one the other day and finally got out yesterday to try it. He was kiting and I was watching/giving tips via the radio helmet from the cabin. The winds started out in the high 20's and backed off to mid 20's by the time we called it. The ride in was GREAT. We were cutting across the chop at about 45-60 degrees like I always have done but we we running more like 4500 rpms and 20+ knots. The ride was smoother than it used to be going waaaaay slower. Anyway now that I have actually tried with, on dual engine, and both ways on a single. I thought I could finally chime in and say I am a huge fan and have felt the difference first hand.
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't get any argument from me! I am a big fan and proponent of Permatrims. I made my first round trip to Alaska without them, and my next two with. Night and day difference - especially heading into short chop. With Permatrims on twin engines, I found no need for trim tabs.
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, positively yes on Permatrim!

A Yamaha 115 on the stern of our CD22 made the purchase just about mandatory.
C Sniper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can someone with permatrims and trim tabs chime in here as well. Even though the permas made a HUGE difference there is still alot of "gentle bumps" charging into it upwind, at a shallow angle to boot. The more I am using this boat for work the more I like it! I am wondering how much more I can smash the nose in and further smooth out the ride by adding tabs? My center console has tabs but not a foil... I think partly I miss being able to level the boat as well. ugh, single engine repower regret perhaps... why can't the passengers just stay seated! hahaha
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Permatrims on my twin Honda 60’s are much larger than the ones on my replaced Honda 40’s. My now Permatrims would fit all Honda’s between 60 hp & 150 hp, yet I still have & use the Bennett trim tabs too. I run heavy & with the extra hp of the twin 60’s, find the combination of the larger permitrims & trim tabs very useful in varying boat weight & sea conditions.

Jay

C Sniper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha, I knew I was justified adding tabs to the list of endless expenses/upgrades I want to do!!! damgit, I lose again Confused
davidJ

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: E-Z Rider
Photos: davidJ
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 19 I have both trim tabs and a permatrim. The tabs are a must on the 19, as it is like a 22 with the back 3' cut off. Usually, I trim the permatrim for max revs. on the motor and use the tabs to adjust from side to side and to bring the bow down when going thru the bigger waves and also to come up on plane when running heavy. We have to slow down a bit in the waves when we trim down or else the boat gets a little squarely, but we still get bounced around some in the 3 and 4 footers as slow usually means 15 to 20 mph. I guess the only thing the permatrim does on my boat is to make the waves think I'm a 20- footer instead of a 19.

Last edited by davidJ on Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
C Sniper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be great to try tab and trims all at the same time! Sounds like you like your setup! thanks for posting! another vote for me to break out another couple thou, ((sad face)). Where is that lottery ticket I bought last night??? haha
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a 22 with twin 40s with permatrims for a number of years, and later a 22 with a single outboard, also with a permatrim. Both boats had tabs. I'd say I could have possibly gotten by without the tabs if I had to, on the first boat with twins. The two permatrims on the twins kept the bow down and I could adjust side to side. On the boat with a single, I think tabs are an absolute necessity, unless you opt to move a lot of the weight off the stern somehow with saddle tanks and batteries forward. We had issues with the lenco controls a few times and the boat did not handle the way I wanted it to without tabs.
C Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another vote for both, thanks for the feedback
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advantage of either tabs or Permatrim is that you can drive the bow down into chop, but in following seas your can negate the tabs, (not so much the permatrim) so you decrease the chance of bow steering should you get some big lift from waves aft.

Much easier to flip a switch than to move ballast.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

C Sniper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes offshore in following seas I had a couple episodes of short lived excitement. In the laguna there is no concern for this as the shallow water does not allow true waves to form. We get following chop.
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
The advantage of either tabs or Permatrim is that you can drive the bow down into chop, but in following seas your can negate the tabs, (not so much the permatrim) so you decrease the chance of bow steering should you get some big lift from waves aft.

I'm not sure why Permatrim would be less able than trim tabs? I've found that if I trim up and ride the backs of waves I have no problem. It's only an issue if I lose focus and get pushed over the top into the next trough (rare, but has happened).
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but in following seas your can negate the tabs, (not so much the permatrim) so you decrease the chance of bow steering should you get some big lift from waves aft.

As a person who feels both trim tabs and Permatrims are ideal, I would disagree that the permatrim does not help bring the bow up. My experience is that it does.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
As a person who feels both trim tabs and Permatrims are ideal, I would disagree that the permatrim does not help bring the bow up. My experience is that it does.

I have experience with neither, but I thought the purpose of Permatrim was to lift the stern, i.e. bring the bow down.???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: