View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Big Changes Coming Reply with quote

It's been a while since your C-Brat nerd has posted a novel 'round here. If that's something you've no time nor interest in, I'll cut to the chase. Big changes are coming. You won't recognize this place in the coming months - and that's a good thing.

For those interested in all the gory details, pour your self something appropriate and read on. And, beyond the info below - you might subscribe to this thread so you can see updates. At the bottom of this page, select the "Watch this topic for replies" link. I'll follow up as we work through this process.

Perhaps it's fair you long-time C-Brats are skeptical, as I've made mention for several years now that site upgrades are coming. I'll take those lumps...fault lies both with me and software developers that have turned out to be unreliable. I've not been a full-time nerd for 10+ years now, and my speciality was never web site design - so what skills I do have are very rusty and not up to the task of this complex migration. We're dependent on hiring pros. Were I capable on my own, it would have already happened.

A brief recap: After almost losing the site a couple months back due to a failed server, I was able to get us moved to a virtual hosting platform. That makes failure of server hardware mostly a non-issue, so the site is far safer than it was before. However, we're still using software that is woefully outdated. Our forum software, phpBB2.0, had support end on January 1, 2009. And, it's far worse than just the forum software. Many forum add ons, including the photo albums are equally ancient. This makes migration all the more difficult. Setting the forum software aside, the version of Linux we're running has not been supported since February 29, 2016. Every year that goes by makes it more difficult to migrate the C-Brats to something current.

I've hired a well respected software developer to do the work, something he's done dozens of times. Migrating from old forum software is his speciality. His reviews and references are impeccable and I've worked with him on a similar project for the TugNuts, so I've little doubt he'll take great care of us. Still, our situation is a bit more complicated than other jobs he's taken on. There WILL be bumps in the road. Things WILL break. We'll get through it.

The basics: We're moving to Xenforo and Xenforo Media Gallery. Those so inclined can read up at the link below to see the many, many features and updates over what we currently have in place. Start by selecting the Features menu item and peruse to your heart's content.

https://xenforo.com/

The abilities and features we'll have when done will rival the best online communities you visit. You C-Brats, and the priceless content contributed by your fellow C-Dory fanatics over the last 20 years deserves nothing less.

Now...a personal note. Yes, my return to C-Dory ownership provides a selfish incentive to finally get this job done. However, there's also an elephant in the room I intend to expose and squash as much as possible - the move to Facebook of so much C-Dory conversation and content. I dislike this development and while I'm under no illusion it will cease completely, I know we can put a dent in this trend.

As was the case when we moved from MSN 20 years ago, my main gripe with Facebook is near complete lack of control and safeguarding of content. There is no export/backup option, and in the blink of an eye a community and all of its content can - and has - disappeared. Changes that impact the user experience are completely beyond a group owner's control. It's also a horrible platform for reference data as there's near zero organization in place. As long as Mike and I are kicking and reasonably sane (ha!), The C-Brats will never be subject to the whims of nameless, faceless and unreachable overlords who don't have our best interests at heart. Sure, there's still somebody making decisions about this site that are beyond YOUR control - but we listen, and you know who to blame/congratulate and give feedback to.

Now, with my clear biases and philosophy out of the way - I'll step off the soapbox and delve into some facts. Compared to Facebook, it's incredibly difficult to do simple and expected tasks at the C-Brats. Do we even need to talk about photos? Hell, even I have to go back and look at my notes when I've been away for a while. More importantly...one can't even read this site on a mobile device without difficulty. It was designed in a time where 99% of access was via a large computer screen, and has remained in that mode to this day. Most estimates show that phone and tablets now make up 2/3's of the people consuming content online. So, we're eliminating the C-Brats as an option for massive amounts of people who might otherwise participate.

Updates are needed or we'll die a slow death. That won't happen on my watch. Here's to hoping y'all enjoy the coming ride, and are proud to call yourselves C-Brats for another 20 years.

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big thumbs-up for all you do to keep this place "home" for a lot of us! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thanks, Will.
JohnnyD

City/Region: Panama City
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Gypsy Rose
Photos: Gypsy Rose
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Thank you so much Will, looking forward to these great Big Changes. Thanks again for all you guys do! Laughing
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A BIG THANKS to Will. Well written.

As a retired software engineer who did design websites and manage data, I agree 100% with your analysis of the platform, migration and Facebook situation. I’m only 6 years retired and would not attempt to do web work anymore. Software and hardware change too fast.

Please be patient everyone as there will be bumps in the road. Looking forward to the final product.

See you all out on the water.

Colleen (DayBreak’s co-captain!)

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do all I can to sway FB users to our site here! There is so much knowledge tucked away here, and it’s really not that hard to find if you have the time to search and read thru stuff. So, knowing this probably isn’t being done free, does the tip jar help? Colby
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
does the tip jar help?

Where is the tip jar? I've used it before and now I can't figure out where it is.

Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
I do all I can to sway FB users to our site here! There is so much knowledge tucked away here, and it’s really not that hard to find if you have the time to search and read thru stuff. So, knowing this probably isn’t being done free, does the tip jar help? Colby

Thanks for thinking of us Colby, both in reminding folks we exist as well as mentioning the Tip Jar. I know I can speak for Mike in saying both of those are appreciated by us.

Finances right now are fine. We might go in the hole a little bit over the next 6 months paying professionals, but if it happens we'll easily weather it - and it will get replenished with ad revenue as time goes by.

Over the last several years the ads and Tip Jar have covered our expenses as well as giving Mike and me small bonuses on occasion. However, trust neither of us made our retirement decisions based on that income. It's certainly not $$ that gives us incentive to keep the lights on around here. Mr. Green
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very glad you are avoiding Facebook. I absolutely hate that UI (user interface). Now.....on to the tip jar.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will, Thank you so much! This site will continue to be the best boating site for a long time...due to the people who are part of this extended family.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
chipwagon

City/Region: Victoria
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Sam 'n Leo
Photos: Sam 'n Leo
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news and thanks for all your efforts. Definitely appreciate the difference between C-Brats and FB communities. I'd rather have to click 5 screens and jump through a hoop and cross my fingers to upload a photo than use FB any day of the week.
ssilver

City/Region: Albany NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Pearly Shell
Photos: Pearly Shell
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your efforts, I love this site and I follow the FB page this is where I go when I need answers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big thanks for all your efforts past, current and future. I don't use FB and the few times I've been on it I can't find any useful information, just irrelevant garbage. Sounds like updates are in order, go for it, and now to the tip jar.

Jay
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcg wrote:
Where is the tip jar? I've used it before and now I can't figure out where it is.

Upper left on the Home Page (it says "DONATE" in red) - unless, ironically, as happened on a tablet screen of mine, a pop-up ad covers it up.

C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to add one more thumbs up for all the effort to keep this site going. Thanks to Tyboo and Da Nag for all their effort to keep it feeling like a tight family setting.
sparkle; Ericson 25 CB 2008-2012
Sculpin; Drascombe Drifter 2005-2008
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to all the changes. Sounds Exciting! It's a great forum. Thanks for keeping things going!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Site News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: