The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Hub rear seal leaking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Hub rear seal leaking Reply with quote

I was adding new grease to my bearings (I have the zerk fitting on the spindle) and on the last one it didn't seem to do anything. I pull the drum out and realize the grease was leaking behind the seal. I replace the seal (and bearings), still leaking behind the new seal. I did not find anything on the spindle obvious, grease is leaking right where it come out. Could I have did something wrong or is it something wrong with my hub/spindle?
sparkle; Ericson 25 CB 2008-2012
Sculpin; Drascombe Drifter 2005-2008
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, possible that the spindle is scored or deformed. You should always look at it, and maybe even attempt to true it, or replace--depending on the type of Axle. Sometimes I have found a scratch or minor defects from corrosion and using some very fine emery cloth (I carry in the trailer repair kit), by cleaning up the spindle surface, that it will seal well again.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be you just gave it too much grease....it does happen. Also, with EZlube, if that is even what you have, you're supposed to rotate the tire while you grease them. It makes a difference.
C-Wolfe

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, its the EZlube I have. You normally see grease getting push out some, it did on the other 3 but none on this one. I figured it was just a bad seal so I replaced it, new seal acted the same way, just about none if any made it to the bearing, it look like it all went behind the seal. If it can stop snowing I'll inspect the spindle as Bob mention.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C Wolfe. was the old grease removed before you started to pump in grease? It is a good idea to remove any caked old grease once a. year.

When I used a Lincoln air powered grease gun, I had a leaking seal. I turned down the pressure and the leaking stopped.
C-Wolfe

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
C Wolfe. was the old grease removed before you started to pump in grease? It is a good idea to remove any caked old grease once a. year.

When I used a Lincoln air powered grease gun, I had a leaking seal. I turned down the pressure and the leaking stopped.

Yes, I ended up replacing the bearing and race so the second time around it was all cleaned and new grease.
T.R. Bauer

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is wrong for sure. That hole between the rear bearing and seal gets the grease from the zerk out by the dust cover and it sounds like it is getting plenty of it. It should just put a good coating of grease on the bearing and that is it. Why it's leaking is weird, but from my experience, it doesn't take many pumps to push grease out the back of the seal when you have freshly packed bearings since they are already full.

But.....Are you absolutely certain you have the proper seal? I know it sounds dumb, but I have been given the wrong seal from the parts "pro" before. Mine takes 2.12" ID seals and have been given 2.25" ID seals on occasion. And yeah.....they leaked like hell when I put those in. I caliper them now before I buy and install.
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your spindle is worn you may need one of these repair sleeves to make it fit tight again.

https://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/shop/17293-10600#attr=

This one may not be the right size for your spindle but they make them in all sizes and they press on over the existing spindle.

T.R. Bauer

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked on a ton of trailers....I can't envision he has a spindle so bad (and didn't notice) that it just lets the grease pour out. The normal bungled up grooves and small defects won't leak new thick grease like that....but they sure do leak water! But, if one does need a new sleeve, those do work. But, if you have ever installed a speedy sleeve or equivalent, they don't come in all EXLoader spindle sizes and you will have to drill a hole for the grease to come out for your EZLube system to work. It's not the end of the world if they don't have the size you want, because NAPA has a large selection of comparable sleeves for machined surfaces you can tailor to fit just fine, with some work and ingenuity.

But....as Bob noted.....and I will reaffirm it.....a few minutes with a steel brush in a cordless drill to get the big stuff off and a strip of emery cloth will probably do wonders for it if it looks bad.
drbridge

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked worked on a few trailers too. I don't like grease leaking out or water leaking in, so I installed them all the way around on ours.
T.R. Bauer

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drbridge wrote:
I've worked worked on a few trailers too. I don't like grease leaking out or water leaking in, so I installed them all the way around on ours.

Yup nobody likes water coming in at all. Or grease getting on the brakes! I think the spindle liners are great. It's certainly better than cutting the old spindle off and welding a new spindle onto the axle. However, sometimes you just have to bite that bullet when the bearings fail and somebody drags it 10 miles down the highway before they notice and wrecks just about everything. That's generally a trip wrecker Sad
drbridge

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Dexter easy lube axles on my land trailers. Just jack the wheel off the ground and spin the wheel while you pump new grease in to it. I have never had them on a boat trailer and don't think I would ever want them as there is too much potential for water intrusion. If I had a boat trailer with the Dexter lube system I think I would convert it to Bearing Buddy system.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drbridge wrote:
If your spindle is worn you may need one of these repair sleeves to make it fit tight again.

https://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/shop/17293-10600#attr=

This one may not be the right size for your spindle but they make them in all sizes and they press on over the existing spindle.

In the "Olden Days" they called those Speedi Sleeve's Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: