View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: 8 plait to chain splice Reply with quote

Why use 8 strand Plait? The advantages over 3 strand are: it stows in much less space, it remains soft and supple, it does not hockle, it runs very well thru the combination chain rope gypsy in the windlass.

Why the back splice over a chain weave? The chain weave is likely to pick up mud and debris. I do not feel it is as a secure splice.

I present the techniques outlined in the Yale cordage web site:

http://www.yalecordage.com/pdf/brait_to_chain_splice.pdf

This is a very clear and concise set of instructions.

There are also a set of briefer instructions which show the 3 strand and the chain weave splices at:

http://www.johndanicic.com/sailing%20pages/GOB%20articles/JF07_Splicing.pdf

I will illustrate with photos some of the steps following the Yale Cordage site as a supplement--I recommend that you copy the Yale site to have in front of you as you work.

There are four strands which lay to the right, and four which lay to the left.
Yale says measure off 10 "Pic", which is the distance of two strands of the lay. I prefer to have a little extra, and I taper my end of the splice more. This way, I have no problem putting weaving the spice and have plenty of rope to work with.

After the rope is measured--12" in this case, I seize the throat where the spice will lay tight against the chain link with Dacron seizing twine (The vinyl tape is only temporary) and unlay the 4 separate pairs of strands. The ends of each set of strands is heated and fused together for the splicing:

Only one of the strands has a yellow marker thread:

We then mark each strand, both at the throat, before the throat, and the end of the strand, so we are able to position the tucks properly.

The next part is tricky and I didn't photograph it--that is you take one right laid pair and one left laid pair thru the chain from right to left, and then the other right laid pair, and left laid pair from left to right. there are four strands going right to left, and left to right.

Then tuck the right-laid pair under the nearest opposing left- laid strand pair so that it is running parallel with the right-laid strands. Conversely, tuck the left- laid pair under the nearest right-laid strand pair. Flip the splice over and tuck the pairs on the opposite side in the same way.

This next photo is after this is done and the strands have not been snugged up tight yet:

After these four are tucked under you start a conventional splice weave, following parallel with the respective right-laid or left-laid strand:

This is after 3 tucks, and we are finishing the 4th set of tucks. The splice is tightened up as you go, and will tighter in the finished product. I am using two types of hollow fids, both of which have an obturator, and a handle. These are both "Fid O" awls. The obturator is pushed under the set of stands, and then removed, so the end of the strands can be passed back thru the standing strands to compete that tuck of the splice. I don't believe that these tools are made today--but a swedish fid can be used:

After 4 tucks I went to cutting 1/2 of the strands in half, then 1/2 of those remaining. Each cut the remaining tag is fused and burned smoothly next to the rode. Finally the splice looked like this, after tightening and rolling under foot:

[img]http://www.c-brats.com/albums/Thataway/16_completed_splice.sized.jpg [/img]

It is very important that the strands lie smooth in the chain, are tight, and equal in tension during the splice.

Next we seized the end of the rope with Dacron thread, and dipped it 4 times in liquid plastic:

The final step in making the anchor rode was to mark it every 50 feet of rope. We used colored electrical ties. At 50 feet we have a single green tie, at 100 feet a single blue tie, at 150 get we have a double green tie, and 200 feet a double blue tie. At 250 feet we have a single orange tie, and at 290 feet we have two red ties. We did not include the 30 feet of chain in the marking--since we tend to be conservative, and that allows more rode then may be necessary. We have a laminated card with the "Code" next to the windlass switch, and also available for the person on the deck. We made two extra of the laminated cards.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob- Great post and nice, first-class looking, completed splice:

Thanks!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Joe, I'm impressed! I've only just mastered the three strand chain splice, after 3 attempts at getting it right. I finally figured out that after about three tucks I needed to reduce the strand size by about a third for the remainder of the splice.

Nice work, I don't think animated knots by Grog even has this splice illustrated.

Using liquid tape as a line marker is a great idea also.c

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,
Thanks for putting up the photo of my final splice. Joe had notified me, of the extra space, and was kind enough to put it on the web site.
breausaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Joe,
Thanks for putting up the photo of my final splice. Joe had notified me, of the extra space, and was kind enough to put it on the web site.

oops, good job Bob. And you too Joe.
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow is right nice work Bob!! I might have to buy an extra 50 feet to practice with.

breausaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would need to retire to have the time to figure out.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get the tucks started it is just as easy as a 3 strand. The color coded strands, make the first tucks fairly easily. Looks more complicated than it is.

Probably the most important is that right rotating pairs slip under left rotating pairs from right to left on the standing part of the line, and left rotating pairs, slip under right rotating pairs from left to right on the standing part of the line. Once you get this started, then it is go. I'll have to admit, that it did take a few minutes, and this is where I had neglected to photograph the exact procedure (probably due to my frustration, trying to get this correct.)
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the exact same problem (as did a friend, who was doing one alongside me). Getting the tucks started correctly was confusing! Actually the instructions/video almost made it harder to understand, for me, but my brain may be odd (no need to confirm). Seeing it once it was correct it was totally obvious that it was right (but of course that doesn't help to get it started).

Of course I'll do it so infrequently that I'll have to relearn it next time Cry

My secondary rode is a 3-strand that came with the boat, so I only ever did one of the 8-plait splices -- on my primary rode.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a random comment. Bob's chain (and I assume) the line came from Defender. That seems to be the best place to get anchor "stuff".

Boris
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought mine, I got the chain from Defender and the line from Fisheries Supply. I was in the PNW at the time, but apparently Defender was still my best choice for chain (but not for the Brait line). I can't remember if it was because of availability, price, or both. It must have been something though, as I had 3x per week access to a "free" Fisheries delivery truck route at the time.
Jake B

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: PLUS 3
Photos: PLUS 3
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that looks great!
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: 8 plait to chain splice Reply with quote

We bought our 8 plait rode and chain from Defender, they also have a chain to rode splicing service which is about $32. If you don't like the idea of doing your own splicing.
D.D.

little wing

City/Region: Oakland
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Toots
Photos: Toots
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those worrying about doing this splice themselves, I don't think you need to sweat it. I just did it and I found it was fun and easy. I recommend watching the video on the Yale website. I color coded the tips of each pair and the crowns up the line with highlighter, making it easy to do the tucks. Once you start and manipulate the strands and chain, it make sense. Shown is 1/2" Yale 8 plait on 1/4" chain.

thataway

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job!!

As you noted, some folks think that rope and rigging is rocket science. It is simple--but you do have to put one strand after the other in the right order. I agree that this is easier than some of the other splices. The video and internet make all of this so much easier.

Thanks for showing your work!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: