markm

City/Region: Clinton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic. This is why we have this group. Valued input. I really appreciate all the comments. I will be getting a Honda estimate Monday morning and then deciding between the Honda 60s and the Suzuki 60s.

I can always throttle down pretty tough to throttle up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I compare outboards, I don't pay as much attention to the HP as I do the displacement. Weight is also important and for our little boats the alternator output is also important. (capacity to charge house batteries/ the amount used by the engine.)

Comparing 3 models that your are considering:

The Honda 40 and 50 hp: 808 cc/49.5 cu in; 214#

The Honda 60 larger block: 998 cc/61 cu in 239#

The Suzuki which is 40, 50 & 60 on the same block: 941 cc/57.4 cu in. 229#

They are all fuel injected and have about the same charging capacity. All will give better results than the older 40 hp Honda you have, just fuel injection and older engine being "worn" will make significant difference.

I believe your best choice is between any Suzuki 40/50/60 and Honda 60. There is one other factor and that is the Honda 60 can be counter rotation. For me that is a significant advantage.

I have owned equal number of Suzuki and Honda in the last 20 years. Both have been trouble free and in the 90 hp to 150 hp range. The Suzukis have been faster because of the prop size and gearing.

So it boils down to availability, cost, and service nearby.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had twin Honda 90s on my 2014 26 CD Venture.

I don't know if twin 100s (available now) would have gotten me "out of the hole"
quicker than the jackrabbit starts as the 90s gave me but I probabley would have
gone for the 100s if they were available then. Keep in mind CDs are relatively
flat bottom planing vessels, and past their 'tolerance speed', per Mfg, they get
squirrely.

Yes, 'horsepower (HP)' is dated (Ya' think?). Even engine cubic inches are not a
true indicator of performance, other than more usually wins over less. It comes
down to "the details"; Mfg claims..., carborated, EFI, turbo or supercharged, use,
weight, prop(s), hull design, vessel load, sea condition, etc.

For us average Joes, Mfg maximum HP ratings are important, not cu in, (violated
you lose insurance, maybe more).

My bottom line is, keep within the specs, and do not underpowered your vessel.

Aye.

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
When I compare outboards, I don't pay as much attention to the HP as I do the displacement. Weight is also important and for our little boats the alternator output is also important. (capacity to charge house batteries/ the amount used by the engine.)

They are all fuel injected and have about the same charging capacity. All will give better results than the older 40 hp Honda you have, just fuel injection and older engine being "worn" will make significant difference.

I believe your best choice is between any Suzuki 40/50/60 and Honda 60. There is one other factor and that is the Honda 60 can be counter rotation. For me that is a significant advantage.

I have owned equal number of Suzuki and Honda in the last 20 years. Both have been trouble free and in the 90 hp to 150 hp range. The Suzukis have been faster because of the prop size and gearing.

Twin counter rotating 60s sounds the way to go to me. I didn't know they were a thing in that size. I suspect in a light boat like the 22, they would make a big difference in overall handling and performance. I suspect they would counter many of the stresses on the transom as well, but I can't site any engineering publications to support that because I'm too lazy to look. Jay seems to love them....he's a lot of experience with the 22.
markm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to do some searching on the counter rotating props on a 60hp . My local Honda dealer said that was not the case and they don't counter rotate until you get up into the 115s. Just making sure I cover all the bases now. I did get a quote on the Honda 60s and they added approx $1000 over the Suzuki 60s. So it really comes down to cost of ownership and performance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markm,
You may also want to get a quote from Sportcraft Marina in Portland, Or. on a honda or suzuki. https://www.sportcraftmarina.com/ They sell both and seem to always have the lowest prices. They will do a great job with the installs and you will not have to pay sales tax.
Not sure if the prop walk on 60 hp motors is that much of a concern to warrant the use of counter rotation on the port side.

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
thataway wrote:

Twin counter rotating 60s sounds the way to go to me. I didn't know they were a thing in that size. I suspect in a light boat like the 22, they would make a big difference in overall handling and performance. I suspect they would counter many of the stresses on the transom as well, but I can't site any engineering publications to support that because I'm too lazy to look. Jay seems to love them....he's a lot of experience with the 22.

From research prior to repowering with the Honda 60’s, counter rotating props for twin applications was not available in 2019 & now just got off the phone with Sportscraft Marine & it’s the same. As Mark has found out, the Honda’s do cost more than the Suzuki’s. Also as T.R. Said, “I am very pleased with the Honda 60’s” with lots of proven data now to back that pleased feeling. It will be interesting to see how other 60 hp choices, like available with the Suzuki & Tohatsu work out for others, as they repower.

Jay

markm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:
markm wrote:

It’s reality not dreaming with the twin Honda 60’s. With a 15 pitch prop running at 4000 rpm, just 66% of WOT, speed with mine is just over 20mph. 80% of WOT will be about 4800 rpm & 28 mph. This is with a medium load in good conditions at sea level & fuel milage if boat well trimmed will be above 5 mpg. I have both trim tabs & Permitrims.

Jay

I have ordered the Honda 60s. Ended up same price as the suzukis in white. Jay, do you have model number of the 15pitch prop that you used to get these results? Much appreciated.

Mark
-Waypoint-

City/Region: Jensen Beach, Florida
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Photos: Waypoint
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to put my 2 cents in. DON'T waste your money on the BF50's. I just repowered my boat with BF40's EFI 2022 engines. I looked into the BF50's just because thought it might be worth the extra $2000 more for top end push "IF" needed".

After putting 28 hours on the 2022 BF40 EFI engines I am so glad that I did not buy the BF50's. Went on a 4 day camping trip last week. My boat was loaded with 50 gallons of fuel, 40 gallons of water, 300 lbs. of ice coolers, clothing, Honda 2200 generator, grill, clothing, pots pans, extra anchors, food, dive gear, and a rooftop a/c., and 350 lbs. of people.

I did not run at WOT with the BF40's. I ran at 90% throttle and still cruised at 15kts! My boat was fully loaded. I operate the boat at sea level in tropical salt water. Not in a freshwater cold lake in the mountains. If I did, I would go for the BF60's. Don't buy the BF50's.

Go with the BF40's if you run in salt water.

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markm wrote:
Hunkydory wrote:
markm wrote:

It’s reality not dreaming with the twin Honda 60’s. With a 15 pitch prop running at 4000 rpm, just 66% of WOT, speed with mine is just over 20mph. 80% of WOT will be about 4800 rpm & 28 mph. This is with a medium load in good conditions at sea level & fuel milage if boat well trimmed will be above 5 mpg. I have both trim tabs & Permitrims.

Jay

I have ordered the Honda 60s. Ended up same price as the suzukis in white. Jay, do you have model number of the 15pitch prop that you used to get these results? Much appreciated.

Mark

I’ll be back home in about 10 days & get the prop info for you.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:
markm wrote:
Hunkydory wrote:
markm wrote:

Jay

Mark

I’ll be back home in about 10 days & get the prop info for you.

It took longer than 10 days to get back home. Like many places in the west a rough winter here in Wyoming.

My props are the stainless New Solas 15 pitch x 11 inch. Model 3331-110-15

This is where I purchased. https://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Honda/60_HP_(2010Newer)_15.00-Pitch_New_Saturn_3331-110-15_Propeller/841/7804/?cart_id=437882764

You could request from where you are buying the motors, that they put on the standard 3 blade Honda 15 pitch aluminum props as they might work close to the stainless, I have. If not you could buy the stainless & use the aluminum as spares. Also all my old props for the Honda 40’s fit the Honda 60’s. I carry my old 10 pitch stainless in case I need to run on plane with a single 60, when running very heavy at sea level & have 3 blade, 13 pitch stainless for running both motors on near 8000 foot Yellowstone Lake, when we are very heavily loaded with company camping out on the lake. My normal spares are aluminum solas 14 pitch 3 blade.

Jay
markm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, Thank you! I truly appreciate the shared information and welcome back to WY.
The boat is in the shop, and I already have one of the 40s sold. One to go. 60s are sitting there in crates waiting to be installed. I will share your discoveries with the guys there. It should definitely save some time getting it dialed in.

Cheers
real550A

City/Region: Stuart
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Deep C
Photos: Deep C
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have read this thread with great interest, as I have purchased a C22 Cruiser with twin Honda 40's (2004 boat & motors). Although, they have 600/1200 hours, and should be good for a while, I need to be educated on repower options for the future.
Curiously, the thread discusses Honda, Suzuki, Tohatsu, but doesn't mention Yamaha. Am I missing something?
If I repower, I would be thinking a single 90 for intercoastal & Florida waters, primarily. A single would lighten me up by 150 lbs, simplify my boat systems, and probably extend my range.
Interested in your thoughts, and appreciate all input.
Mike

2004 C Dory 22' Cruiser "Deep C" (Na Waqa)
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

real550A wrote:
Have read this thread with great interest, as I have purchased a C22 Cruiser with twin Honda 40's (2004 boat & motors). Although, they have 600/1200 hours, and should be good for a while, I need to be educated on repower options for the future.
Curiously, the thread discusses Honda, Suzuki, Tohatsu, but doesn't mention Yamaha. Am I missing something?
If I repower, I would be thinking a single 90 for intercoastal & Florida waters, primarily. A single would lighten me up by 150 lbs, simplify my boat systems, and probably extend my range.
Interested in your thoughts, and appreciate all input.
Mike

Yamaha makes a great outboard. But from what I have seen, they are not very competitive with pricing.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider a 115. I have had several 115 Yamahas, which were good engines. Both of the 22’s I owned had 90’s on an Evinrude, and the other had a 90 Honda, carbureted—for for the fuel injections.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: