The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Motor Spare parts recomendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
serpa4

City/Region: Melbourne
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: DayLo
Photos: DayLo
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:03 pm    Post subject: Motor Spare parts recomendations Reply with quote

I have a 200hp Suzuki on my Venture 26. I may travel places where there are no readily available parts.
What do you all carry to do fixes in the middle of nowhere? Obliviously we cannot carry everything in the small boats, no special tools to fix them. I'm handy, and can tear down a motor, but not practical in the middle of nowhere.
I just purchased my boat, and don't know much about suzukies yet.
I'm thinking:
Plugs, fuel filters, water separators, extra oil, extra gear lube, maybe plastic propeller (Piranha $150), propeller wrench.
Could take water pump kit/impeller, but may be unreasonable to replace on the water. Haven't torn mine apart yet to see.
Small assortment of hose clamps.
Fuses
What else should be taken?

Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot duct tape, electrical tape, glue and zip ties. I keep my specialized tools and a small selection of parts on board. Also consider if you pull into a marina and find a mechanic to fix something, he may be able to do the job, but might not have the basic parts. I also keep spare parts and tools to fix other things on the boat, like screws for hinges, electronics parts, stoves and all of the other basic parts of the boat.

All of my parts and tools would fit into a medium sized shoe box.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a selection of containers like plastic shoe boxes, with nice lids. Also we had a medium size Plano divided small parts bins.

I would not bother with the plastic prop--I would have a SS prop on the engine, and an aluminum prop for a back up. Include thrust washer, any spacer washers, crown nut, any key or cotter pins. Definitely the impeller. Spare crush washers for the various oil drains/fills. Extra lower unit, engine oil and hydraulic fluid (mil spec) for the steering. Definitely filters (more than one) for the fuel. Engine oil filters. I do carry a set of plugs. In my Plano box, I have a large assortment of screws, bolts, nuts, washers, There is another section with Allen set screw, fuse of all types and a back up of every one on the boat--Another section has marine grade crimp electrical fittings, adhesive sleeves/and tubing. I carry an extra squeeze bulb Extra wire In at least 20' pieces, and crimpers, wire striper, Be sure and all sizes. Other areas, have a few of the snap fittings, (male and female) die set for the canvas fittings. also shackles, and Monel wire. I also carry some rudimentary sewing inlcuding a stitching awl, for lock stitch.

In the tool category--metric as well as SAE wrenches and socket sets. , prop wrench, long nose pliers, heavy carbide jaw diagonal cutters for the largest hooks you will have aboard. A multimeter and know how to use it. I also include mill. basttard files, for cleaning up a dinged prop, a medium sized ball peen hammer, You need good quality tape, vinyl, masking and duct. I carry several types and sizes of Vise Grips, water pump pliers, crescent wrench in sizes from small to large. I also added a 12" spud wrench and a 24" piece of 1/2" water pipe (to fit over the handle of the spud wrench--effectively ratio of 30 to one. --which gives a huge amount off leverage.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silicone stretch and seal tape.

The only thing that I've had to repair "on the water" was a the fuel filler hose.

Last edited by ssobol on Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
serpa4

City/Region: Melbourne
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: DayLo
Photos: DayLo
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tons of tools and boat repair supplies. I was just being more specific about engine components. I did not think about a spare squeeze bulb for fuel, but they do get old and crack. I'll add that to my list. Probably more than one fuel filter would also be a good idea and kiss you get a tank of really bad fuel and you go through a couple.
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serpa4,
Most items have been covered, but also a syringe without the needle (Kroger or other pharmacy stores usually give them to me for free), for filling the steering fluid at the helm. When I do add fluid, I put some steering fluid in a small paper cup, then using the syringe, suck a small amount out and inject it into the steering helm fill hole. It's a super clean operation and you will not end up with oil everywhere, but where it needed to go.
Another item that is probably already in your kit is a simple strap wrench. They have the ability to be used on your water separator filter and the clear bowl, without destroying it.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
ssobol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srbaum wrote:
... Another item that is probably already in your kit is a simple strap wrench. They have the ability to be used on your water separator filter and the clear bowl, without destroying it.

Bit of an aside, but I have yet to be able to get the water separator apart without destroying it. Last time I just bought a whole new one.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
srbaum wrote:
... Another item that is probably already in your kit is a simple strap wrench. They have the ability to be used on your water separator filter and the clear bowl, without destroying it.

Bit of an aside, but I have yet to be able to get the water separator apart without destroying it. Last time I just bought a whole new one.

I use some Locktite anti-seize compound on the threads and that seems to help. And I try to be careful about over tightening. (Something that I unfortunately am good at... Neutral ) Colby
ssobol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
ssobol wrote:
srbaum wrote:

I use some Locktite anti-seize compound on the threads and that seems to help. And I try to be careful about over tightening. (Something that I unfortunately am good at... Neutral ) Colby

Tried that. Didn't really help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: