The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

What size hatch for anchor locker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:24 am    Post subject: What size hatch for anchor locker Reply with quote

The anchor locker on my 1999 22' Cruiser is open to the berth area. I'd like to close it off and add a hatch as I understand the newer models have. Since I have yet to finish my project boat and put it in the water, I have no experience using it and don't have a clue how large the access opening to the locker should be. I'll be installing a horizontal windlass if that makes a difference.

I'd like suggestions for the size of the opening. As large as possible? Or would that be too big?
Also, what is the end of the rode secured to? There is nothing in my locker for securing the rode.

Thank you.

C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a SS eye bolt attached to the back side of the U bolt on the bow (The one use for the trailer winch). If that is not an option for you, you could add a d-ring somewhere.
As for the cover, I also wanted to cover it up when I first got the boat but I'm getting use to it open and I also find that it is nice to get in there to spread the rode as it tend to pile up as you retrieve it.

sparkle; Ericson 25 CB 2008-2012
Sculpin; Drascombe Drifter 2005-2008
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a Sunbrella cover for the open part of the locker. Also as C Wolfe, used an eye nut on the inside threads of the bow eye. I make the "attachment" to the boat, with several passes of 1/8 "Dacron line to a tight eye splice at the bitter end of the anchor rode. This makes it easy to cut the bitter end free if it becomes necessary.

Below is a photo of the canvas. I sewed a sleeve in the top of the cloth, and then ran a 1/2" dowel through it--with 1/8" Dacron lines to the eye hooks above.

I agree that the horizontal axis windless works best on the C Dory. On several of my larger boats where the anchor locker was much deeper (more fall for the chain) and I had 200 to 400 feet of chain, I used a vertical axis windlass.

Probably a 12" x 18" hatch cover would work. This is about the size used in some other C Dory boats. I have not seen a 22 with this, but no reason it could not be made this way. The 25 and Tom Cat 255 both have a hatch.

At the upper left is the hatch on the 25 "Thataway" to the anchor locker. There are back packing pads against the hull for insulation, which is the blue material over the lower part of the hatch.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my boat, I just made a panel from 1/4" PVC sheet that covers the whole opening to the anchor locker. It is screwed in along the bottom (to the existing locker lip and along the top to wood pieces epoxied to the overhear. There is no hatch. If I need access to the locker, the whole panel is removed.

I think my boat has an eye in the anchor locker that has always been there. I don't use it so I can remember for sure. My anchor rode is not attached to the boat at the bitter end.

There is a trade off between having the anchor rode loose and the possibility of dropping it overboard vs. having it attached and needing to keep something at hand to cut the rode should disconnecting it from the boat quickly be required. I could see attaching some small floats to the bitter end in case the rode goes over the side. The floats would probably have to be a few in-line because they'd have to be small enough to go through the hawserhole.
pcg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
There is a trade off between having the anchor rode loose and the possibility of dropping it overboard vs. having it attached and needing to keep something at hand to cut the rode should disconnecting it from the boat quickly be required.
Thanks for brining that to my attention.
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,
My 2000, 22 also had no cover over the anchor locker. To cover is for aesthetics and provide some ventilation and easy access, I had my canvas maker make a simple cover that has velcro, holding it in place.
The attached photo is with the cover pulled down...

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2935&id=tYkyFuFTue4qzUXQBJatw&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2935&id=q9igt4vkQ0_baSaHLuNaGA&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcg wrote:
ssobol wrote:
There is a trade off between having the anchor rode loose and the possibility of dropping it overboard vs. having it attached and needing to keep something at hand to cut the rode should disconnecting it from the boat quickly be required.

This is why we have the 1/8" line connecting the bitter end, with multiple passes, which allows the cut of one 1/8" line to free the full bitter end--much easier to cut in a quick pass in an emergency. Also this leaves a tail of the small line to tie to any fender you have, which is far better than a small float to mark the end of the anchor rode.
pcg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
pcg wrote:
ssobol wrote:

This is why we have the 1/8" line connecting the bitter end, with multiple passes, which allows the cut of one 1/8" line to free the full bitter end....

Excellent idea! I am learning so much here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: