View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:26 pm    Post subject: Cabin lighting ideas Reply with quote

What is your concept for ideal cabin lighting for a 22' Cruiser? I'm starting from scratch since I've stripped my project boat down to nothing but fiberglass. All I know is that I like things well-lit for using the galley and reading at the table, but I want appropriate night lighting (red?) for the helm.
I have no experience with a boat like this so your ideas are much appreciated! Thank you!

Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced all of the bulbs (deck, interior, and running lights) with LED bulbs. It makes a huge difference.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This light overhead or one like it on the starboard side of the cabin over the sink and galley area would be great. https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-LED-Contemporary-Stainless-Interior/dp/B07T2NB18Z/ref=asc_df_B07T2NB18Z/?tag=&linkCode=df0&hvadid=416696790601&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9289810413280534736&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032999&hvtargid=pla-894222075074&ref=&adgrpid=89137681330&th=1 To have the use of a red light before going to bed or planning for travel the following morning is nice.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our most recent 25 we had 3 light fixtures on each side. Each light had a bank of white LED and Red LED. Each color had a low and a high.

I had a further just red in the font and back of the cabin--accessed from the port side of the V Berth.

I also put LED lights in each cabinet. These were fabricated from a 1/2", half of that hack sawed down the center, and 3 holes drilled--straight down and from the aftt and forward ends. I inserted bare LED bulbs thru the holes and put a dab of epoxy to hold them in place. A switch turned on aisle and into the cabinet lights.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, definately LED is the way to go. During the time you had Thataway (Ex Seaweed) 2007 25 C Dory May 2018 to Oct. 2021, I enjoyed following all of the additions and improvements you put into that vessel. At one time, I found myself considering selling what I have and buying yours because of the improvements but our boat was too new. Great choice of lighting you made in that 25. Smile
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some have used the small LED string lights under the gunwales - red for night vision and clear ones along the roof line for when moored.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the incandescent bulbs in the existing Perko fixtures with LED arrays (available as replacements for various bulb types). I added an extra fixture under the shelf at the front of the cabin to like the forward shelf area. I added LED sign modules to light the interiors of the main cabin cabinets and the storage areas under the berth.

The red light protecting night vision may be a myth. It is more about the intensity of the light than the color. Also, red illumination can make red/magenta markings on charts disappear. Considering that these markings on charts typically mark important or dangerous areas, not being able to see them could be a problem.
pcg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
I added LED sign modules to light the interiors of the main cabin cabinets and the storage areas under the berth.
What are LED "sign modules"?
ssobol wrote:
The red light protecting night vision may be a myth. It is more about the intensity of the light than the color. Also, red illumination can make red/magenta markings on charts disappear. Considering that these markings on charts typically mark important or dangerous areas, not being able to see them could be a problem.
Interesting, good point. Thanks.
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:

Myth?

Like tens of thousands of other soldiers I used red lights (regular white-light bulbs lights with red filters) extensively during night ops in the Army. The interior of armored vehicles were bathed in red light (so were aircraft cockpits). Maps had warnings about certain colors being less visible in red light, but they were visible, just the shade was off. Somehow we avoided wandering into impact and other no-go areas.

There are several interesting articles on this way beyond my expertise or interest, but we learned that red lens lights were harder to spot from a distance (tactical consideration) and also allowed our eyes to preserve most night vision adaptation. This was often tested as it was bad form to use a light to find your way through the woods at night. Many ops required mandatory silent time after full nightfall to let the senses get accommodated to the ambient light and sound (See any 80s-vintage Ranger handbook).

I've tried green lights while flying at night and couldn't tell the difference (especially since paper maps just aren't a thing anymore).

The other sad night vision fact is that we lose it as we age. I used to traipse around a backcountry campsite in the dark like a raccoon, but these days a little penlight is needed to avoid the inevitable stumble-fall-exclaim-break routine.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcg wrote:
ssobol wrote:
I added LED sign modules to light the interiors of the main cabin cabinets and the storage areas under the berth.
What are LED "sign modules"?
ssobol wrote:
Interesting, good point. Thanks.

This is technically correct. However, trying to keep a small boat a 1 CP is difficult. I use a flashlight every night, at 1 CP--red or white--one button takes it t0 30, 60, 300 and 900 as you wish. When I am checking pills, I use 1 CP white, for walking and seeing my way, 1 CP red.

The eye does adapt to the low 1cp white better than 1 cp red. Note that many us Navy ships still use red (some aircraft use red, some blue and some white.

The reason I use red, is that it is easier to get the low light LED (measured with Sikonic meter that I use for photography) in red than in white. I always had a very low intensity flashlight at the navigation station when cruising before LED. We did also use red bulbs or filters at that time. (Yes one can say that certain light meters respond differently to red spectrum vs white spectrum).

I do what works for me, and no accident turning on the white light vs red low level lights.

The question I ask is why so many US Navy and Merchant ship night collusions in the last few years? Just should not happen with Radar, AIS, and good night vision scopes etc.

Also having been surrounded by a US Navy Carrier fleet running totally dark, except carrier landing lights occasionally seen , about 200 miles off shore, is a most disturbing. The navy ("This is the captain of the USNS Coral Sea") responded after I expressed concern to CG sector San Diego via Marine SSB HF,

Perhaps even worse, is a US Coast Guard cutter coming up form behind at over 20 knots running totally dark in mid Caribbean, and not responding to VHF on 16. (I called sector Miami on Marine HF frequencies and explained I was about ready to break out arms and prepare to fire--a warning I had already given on VHF,16.)--after the Call to Miami about 2 minutes later CG cutter came on VHF and turned on lights--by that time they are only about 400 yards away.
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
The question I ask is why so many US Navy and Merchant ship night collusions in the last few years? Just should not happen with Radar, AIS, and good night vision scopes etc.

The same reason pilots and captains run out of fuel or fly miles off course — too much dependence on electronics and not enough on Mark 1 Eyeballs, 2 Each.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced several of my lights with new fixtures that allowed me to switch to either red or white. The other light fixtures I left in, I switched the incandescent bulbs to LED's. The red/white fixtures are:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XAEAHC/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1&psc=1

I would have to look up the LED bulb replacements for the incandescent, but you can probably just google LED replacements for the incandescent bulb spec you are replacing. Colby
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daninPA wrote:
ssobol wrote:

Myth?

Like tens of thousands of other soldiers I used red lights (regular white-light bulbs lights with red filters) extensively during night ops in the Army. The interior of armored vehicles were bathed in red light (so were aircraft cockpits).

Airliners and business jets built in the last 50 years don't have red cockpit lighting. All of them can operate at night. The one aircraft I dealt with that was older than that had 1 red bulb that lit up some of the circuit breaker panels. All the other lights were normal colors.

LED sign modules are used to light up signs. They are usually sealed and come in many colors. You can get them online for less than a buck a module. They are available in many configurations and different voltages. Get a string of them, cut them apart, and stick them wherever you need to.

For example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/275016487917?hash=item40084293ed:g:WqAAAOSw8kRiUTfq&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4Edq6dIFtscyxHKfCIU8KZoWpyXGNi53jR2ZPpoKlHZ0N4djNd76rDsdd4skaK3xcmsU94Xg9VVeGGmUFxazix50KVEYbR2lgokk2hWu29kZcd%2FSr194%2Fm4gpETopNeQZfPN1U42gAyRN9Cj5kpJLIDuajsoTjxhLR5X9iUT%2FBbubIsZBZJcfCwbk6dpFihTwkQ%2FgQ67DerwwiPHldWa5%2FRf%2BjtPf%2F7kgwRqG0%2Bjt7RW0Xr%2BeOMURoj4h9oq2hcHs894z1AIJApt3r6jziMF7e3e1SEoBuhS5SB8uWOaYe5L%7Ctkp%3ABFBMwP7Tv7th

or:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155319830168?hash=item2429c88698:g:jb4AAOSwkF5joXyp&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoPf1T7FwglEslkN%2BPlSNCV4qm0mWHWX24wHcs2FbwB4B%2FJkluKwyrW%2BufmI%2BUG3UkefYFpQhEUWglcsCtId%2FJSmGWoolvK3wznVkcSyTdOpZW73cdEtVimhp7ABLuK4N5R4ujY2c6KPy3ZzokVmOoJskPinIcIMXMI47ObzkrgXT8d4gzZHeDKM%2FGQsZtklMyD8xoZp1Kx9iHfi%2BK3ZT360%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR8L-07-7YQ
pcg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
LED sign modules are used to light up signs... Get a string of them, cut them apart, and stick them wherever you need to.
Great idea. Thanks!
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.sailworldcruising.com/n/Red-lights-for-good-night-vision-but-why/-88811?source=google

https://www.aviationsafetymagazine.com/features/cockpit-lighting-choices/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: