The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Li batteries and solar - video by Nigel Calder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject: Li batteries and solar - video by Nigel Calder Reply with quote

For anyone considering the addition of Li batteries and/or solar panels to their boat, I highly recommend this excellent 2022 video by Nigel Calder.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iUVHVik1jY

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Interesting video--brings up more questions than it answers, but does give a summary of the state of the battery industry. Not sure if much of this really applies directly--but certainly if you are sophisticated ref batteries and panels it gives a goo review.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
nicklee

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I have a stupid question, the space on boat is very limited. How to install solar panels?
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicklee wrote:
Thank you. I have a stupid question, the space on boat is very limited. How to install solar panels?

Take a look at my recent solar install in my nested album for C-Traveler. I think you may have already seen my thread on Basic Solar. This was on my 25. But would have worked on my previous 22 as well.

Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C Dory owners have used many different ways from fold up suit case panels, thru the flexible to the solid screwed down on the cabin top. There needs to be an air space under the panels. At least 200 watts is desirable if running any refrigeration.

Do you cruise long distance and time without any mains power or generator? If so then solar panels make sense. We never put them on the boat, instead carried one of the Honda Generators, 1000 or 2200.

Do you want to track the sun? or just lay flat and take a chance on how much you will need. Every boat with solar panels should be tracking battery state of charge, with device such as Victron Smart Shunt or 712 monitor. You want to measure volts, amps in and out, and state of charge.

Consider the latitude and potential cloud shading, Ambient temperatures are important. Type and size of battery and the controller is important. Some of the cheaper LiFePO4 are now competitive price wise with quality AMG batteries.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
C Dory owners have used many different ways from fold up suit case panels, thru the flexible to the solid screwed down on the cabin top. There needs to be an air space under the panels. At least 200 watts is desirable if running any refrigeration.

Do you cruise long distance and time without any mains power or generator? If so then solar panels make sense. We never put them on the boat, instead carried one of the Honda Generators, 1000 or 2200.

Do you want to track the sun? or just lay flat and take a chance on how much you will need. Every boat with solar panels should be tracking battery state of charge, with device such as Victron Smart Shunt or 712 monitor. You want to measure volts, amps in and out, and state of charge.

Consider the latitude and potential cloud shading, Ambient temperatures are important. Type and size of battery and the controller is important. Some of the cheaper LiFePO4 are now competitive price wise with quality AMG batteries.

You also need to keep track of panel shading from parts of the boat. Some panels will significantly decrease output if any part of the panel is shaded (e.g. like from an antenna or mast).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: