View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Upgrading VHF Reply with quote

I currently have an older Standard Horizon VHF with AIS. Since installing it I have added a new Garmin plotter and Garmin autopilot. I want to upgrade the VHF to one capable of NMEA 2000, AIS, DSC and possibly with GPS. My question is should I stick with a proprietary Garmin for compatibility at higher cost or consider another such as Standard Horizon? I do not currently have all Garmin NMEA 2000 connectors. Does that matter? Seems I read somewhere that using all Garmin network components and devices would reduce compatibility issues. Ready to go cruising already.😎 Thanks in advance. Ken
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, I have used Standard Horizon products, but Icom (which I have used in ham gear) is equally as good. I consider them a notch above the "Garmin" and "RayMarine". I am not really sure that thinking is valid. I have not seen the specs on the various radios. I believe that the Ranger "Tugs" use all Garmin units. I have known several who use the RayMarine.

If I was up grading, I would want transceiver class B +. AIS. and probably a separate screen. Using the AIS on your navigation screen can get extremely cluttered in any major harbor, where you may need it the most. B+ gives 5 watts or transmit power, it is the same protocol as Class A, and is guaranteed a slot in the time sequence--where as the B is 2 1/2 watts and uses a protocol where the B is just fitted in. Also more frequent updates, depending on speed.

It can be easier to use all Garmin components. The Garmin black box 800 ($900) I believe is class B+, but does require a separate GPS receiver and antenna. I personally feel that you are better served with the separate antenna. The 600 has an antenna splitter. Both are NMEA 2000 protocol.

Consider also the Vespar units which are also NMEA 2000. There are some advantages, such as WI Fi, connection to a tablet. I am not positive about being B+. I would research before buying. The 6000 and 8000 in the lower price range and good units.

Also be sure to check out off brands as found on Amazon which might not be FCC approved.

Keep the old radio as a second transceiver. I believe that all boats which are in either active harbors, straits, or ICW should have two VHF transceivers.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
kennharriet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. I’ll digest that and do some research. My other question is should I buy a VHF with GPS or rely on the GPS in the plotter as I presently do?
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go with a transceiver for the AIS, then that will have a GPS unit or an external antenna. The Standard Horizon which I had on Thataway, had built in GPS. Even my hand held has a GPS, Some of my 2 meter radios have a built in GPS chip in the microphone module.

I would prefer a VHF with built in GPS over one which does not have one. However with NMEA 2000 it does not really make all that much difference.
Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

Consider also the Vespar units which are also NMEA 2000. There are some advantages, such as WI Fi, connection to a tablet. I am not positive about being B+. I would research before buying. The 6000 and 8000 in the lower price range and good units.

I had the Vesper XB-8000 on C-Sharp and it was a great unit. It, and the XB-6000 are just Class B. Their new all-in-one Cortex unit is Class B+ and I installed one in Pan-A-C'ya in 2021 when I outfitted her. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND the CORTEX! it failed to transmit both VHF and AIS in it's first year. Subsequently Garmin has bought Vesper and despite it still being under a 2-year warranty, Garmin is not supporting it. Roger's Marine Electronics has sent it to Garmin and it has been unrepaired for months. I have other gripes about the Cortex unit's design.

thataway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knipet, thanks for jogging my memory--I had forgotten that Garmin had purchased Vespar. Too bad. I hate to say this, but recently I have been disaponted with Garmin. Part was the destruction of Active Captain, and part was what I have been hearing about service. They used to be my #1 choice because of the ease of use. I had RayMarine on my last C Dory, more recently put RayMarine on my CC Caracal Cat. I felt RayMarine's technology offered more that what comparable Garmin did.
kennharriet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the discussion. I think I will go with the Standard Horizon GX2400. It has AIS receive, NMEA 2000 plug and play and dedicated GPS. After reading this Wagoner article, I don’t think I want AIS transmit capability.😉

https://waggonerguide.com/big-brother-and-ais/
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, I went with the Standard Horizon GX2400 & I’m pleased with it & having the AIS from it showing up on my chart plotter. I don’t boat enough in heavy traffic to feel the need to transmit AIS. With already having a nmea 2000 system it should an easy set up as you said.

Jay

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kennharriet wrote:
... After reading this Wagoner article, I don’t think I want AIS transmit capability.😉

https://waggonerguide.com/big-brother-and-ais/

But if you don't violate the rules/laws you shouldn't have problems.

These days you have to work really hard not to be tracked by anything. If you pay electronically for anything, use a toll road, and ATM, carry a cell phone, or even just drive around your city/town you are being tracked.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this article. I am glad we have B+ transponder capability for when we are in remote areas of Canada for safety reasons. We continue to strive to be aware of current water restrictions while in travel and in the event that we should violate any of those laws, it serves us right to be notified by the those authorities mentioned.
kennharriet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the validation Jay. I really like the SH I have now, just wanted the addition of gps and the plug and play NMEA 2000, as everything is now networked. The old one will go to a good home in SE AK where my older plotter went.
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,
I initially went with the Standard Horizon, that received AIS. I didn't find the very small screen on the radio useful, as I am usually in a high traffic area. Using the NEMA 0183, I sent the info to my Gamin chart plotter and was very pleased to see the information overplayed on my charts, as I had a much better reference to locations of the high traffic targets, relative to my location on a chart. I used this for several years. I purchased a transmit/receive AIS and disconnected the input from the VHF AIS and could not be happier. I now know who is coming and they know who I am. We communicate much more freely, between traffic with much more confidence. I found this as such a wonderful safety feature, that I installed one on my sailboat. Much less stress and verbal communications has improved in so many ways, that my stress level, as well as the tugs, ships and large yachts, know what I am and what is happening, well in advance.
In my photos, I posted a typical day of AIS contacts, in my normal boating area.[/img]

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started doing a little research on the 2400 in case I want to upgrade my radio again. I'm happy with what I have for now, so...

But in looking around I found this. I don't understand most of it, but I'm sure there are nerds amongst us that will. Mr. Green I share this since it sounds like the driving thought behind getting the new radio here, is for the NMEA 2000 interface.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum/1089958-standard-horizon-gx2400-any-reports-early-adopters-3.html

The thread is several years old, but towards the end there are some June 2022 updates. Colby
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just updated photos to show a day of boating in Hampton Roads region.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just updated photos to show a day of boating in Hampton Roads region.

???

The link I shared was started in 2020. However, the guy added a post later in 2022 updating some information on the issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: