The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Insurance coverage for CD 22 cruiser /state of Sonora Mexico
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
primative

City/Region: Portland
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Primative
Photos: Primative
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The tow from Hell"  that Rene referred to, Veterans Day weekend.

It took us over 10 hours from when the truck lost power 80 miles from home starting at ~2:00PM. The first two hours was the insurance company deciding which tow company to go with. They got their monies worth. It should be the definition of "low-ball" in Wikipedia. The trip home is a story of Tom helps tow company through the trailer electrical hook up with Tom's Harbor Freight emergency tail light kit. Later on the upgrade climb of a state hwy. near the top of crossing the Coast Range mountains, the tow truck dies because the driver didn't put enough fuel in his truck. This is almost the best part, Tom helps the driver cut off the end of Tom's "wash down" hose to syphon diesel out of Tom's truck into the tow truck. Because the tow truck has air in the fuel lines it is taking multiple attempts to start. Keep in mind while turning the key for the attempted starts he is standing outside the tow truck on the highway. Finally, the motor really engages, lurches forward (because it's in manual low gear) with enough force that the door opening of the truck hits him hard, hard enough I think he may go to the ground and be run over by his own truck. The sudden jerk forward was strong enough that the rigging attachment securing the front end of my Dodge 2500 to the front of the tow truck broke loose, causing my truck to slide back on the flatbed. Why, because the previous driver who was recently fired, jury rigged some nylon tow strapping that had not been replaced with cable or chain! Our driver said the only thing that kept the truck from coming off the flatbed and going into the boat was that the emergency brake was set. During this whole trip Rene was sitting on the center console in the tow truck just behind the stick shift with no seatbelt. Hey, no big deal, we're from Kansas farms and just want to get home, Jesus, Mary, and Joseph. Smile Once I was sure he was Ok, and we were back on the road, I told him if his truck had stayed started, Rene would have climbed into the drivers seat and kept going. When we got to the top of the pass, he stopped at a rest stop, and we knew what he had to do! Tow truck drivers always carry spare underwear. Funny now but not then. 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: