The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Insurance coverage for CD 22 cruiser /state of Sonora Mexico
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
primative

City/Region: Portland
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Primative
Photos: Primative
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject: Insurance coverage for CD 22 cruiser /state of Sonora Mexico Reply with quote

Tom and I are wanting to tow our dory to southern Arizona and down to Puerto Penasco Mexico. We have Progressive insurance, which doesn't cover us across the border. We're looking for an insurance policy for Mexico that covers for damage not just liability, for truck, trailer and boat — both on the water and while towing.

We've been finding no information online that covers beyond liability (which is plentiful). So far the companies we've called don't offer insurance for the boat. For one company, our boat is too small (Boat.US), and the other didn't go beyond liability for boat and trailer (ProAlliance-Mexico National Insurance). Any suggestions?

thanks,
Rene

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check with the Vagabundos del Mar...

https://www.vagabundos.com/

They can guide you with insurance for your vehicle and boat.
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spend a fair amount of time South of the border with boat, trailer and truck all with full coverage plus a separate Mexican policy for Liability only (required)
I got everything from my local insurance broker, Brown insurance co. Tucson, Az (520) 888-6900
primative

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions.

AlainP, Tom spoke with Sherry at Brown Ins., and she said they carry very little, if any, Mexico Insurance. She referred us to Sanborn Ins. We called an insurer that carries Sanborn, who suggested we contact Sanborn's main office. Kyle at the main office said our boat is over 20 years old and that is their cutoff for providing damage insurance. He said that Liberty Mutual/ Safeco (under the same umbrella) as well as Foremost Insurance (a division of Farmers) might provide full coverage.

James, we contacted Vagabundos and they said the only insurance they provide across the border is liability.

Then Tom randomly googled "Full coverage boat insurance in Mexico" and found a company called WEST COAST GLOBAL INSURANCE located in California. Their website says they provide Hull and Liability insurance and they sent us an online form which we filled out, though I don't have a lot of confidence at this point that they will provide the insurance we want, given our experiences so far. But at least it offered an opportunity for us to itemize all of the extras we've put into the boat over these past 24 years! We'll see what they say on Monday Smile

- Rene
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience long range cruising was that if insurance was available it was prohibitively expensive for many parts of the World. We just went with liability, an umbrella policy and self insured for the boat.

Even Loyds of London prohibited some areas we wanted to voyage to, and would insist we have a 4 man crew. It was $10,000 a year when we were living and cruising on $1,000 a month on a 62' motor sailor.

With the C Dory we have had full insurance, but there were occasions we were in areas out of coverage--and would have not been insured for our loss. I figured that although a loss is always possible, it is very unlikely. This philosophy does not work for all people, and liability insurance is essential. Plus times are different now than they were 40 years ago!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
alainP

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rene, hoping that West Coast Global comes through for you I will add that Ben Brown, not Sherry was the most helpful of the two. They do represent Foremost as well as several other companies.
In My case I already was insured by them for my boat and trailer in the US on one policy and my truck on another one, might have made a difference.
The boat insurance Foremost Choice Elite ~$380/yr) covers the boat for coastal Mexico all the way down to 22.50N once the boat is in the water in Mexico, the truck insurance covers the boat for the towing part South of the border.
And yes, age of boat, trailer and truck might make a difference.
Also, unless you purchase a 12 month policy, it could get expensive.
Check your US boat insurance to see if Coastal Pacific and part of Mexico are included if it is I would just get the Mexico Liability policies for Truck and Boat (Cheap) The drive from Lukeville (US) to Puerto Penasco is very short.
Good luck, if you want more info PM me
.Alain[list=][/list]
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alain, when we were talking about the Sea of Cortex earlier, didn't you tell me about that group James mentioned above, as a recommendation for Mexican insurance? Colby
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Alain, when we were talking about the Sea of Cortex earlier, didn't you tell me about that group James mentioned above, as a recommendation for Mexican insurance? Colby

While Vagabundos del Mar is an organization that sells/provides travel info/insurance/permits, etc, there are 10,000 members. And, like C-Brats (or the Great Loop Cruisers Association, or various boat clubs), you can glean a lot of personal experience info from other members. Someone will have info on a broker or agency that will insure what you want (can't speak to the price, though); perhaps beyond what the "club" sells.
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you buy hull insurance, be sure and get "Agreed Value". You agree with the insurance company what the value of the boat is. That is what they pay if a complete loss.
primative

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOB, thanks so much for weighing in. I mentioned to my darling husband early on that our best insurance might be "using common sense", but it is totally different when he hears it from YOU (LOL)! And thanks for clarifying what is meant by "hull insurance". Sounds like we will need to have a conversation with West Coast Global.

I'm guessing a new 22cruiser would run upwards of 50,000. Funny thing is, I'd rather have my 1999 dory with all its improvements and customizations which represent years of effort. Just totaling the cost of added equipment and materials is significant. But that only confirms the best insurance may be minimizing risk by using sound judgement and then realizing that often the most meaningful experiences in life are worth taking some acceptable risk.

ALAIN, it makes perfect sense that you may have had options we wouldn't with your local company. While it appears anyone can sell us the liability insurance for Mexico, we've confirmed that by law, only our Oregon Insurance agents can sell us the primary policy for our truck, trailer and boat. It seems like a good strategy to look for coverage here that extends into Mexico. Since our Progressive does NOT cover south of the border, maybe we can switch to an insurance that does. As you said, it is such a short distance. We will ask about Foremost Choice Elite, which seems comparable with Progressive in cost. Canada coverage is our other consideration, as we're looking to spend the month of August on the coast of Vancouver Island.

— Rene
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

primative wrote:
... I'm guessing a new 22cruiser would run upwards of 50,000. ...

A new 22 cruiser is a lot more than $50K.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, used C Dory 22's sell for a $70,000. New probably in the 120K range when fully equipped ??

Many of the US policies will including the inland Passage and Great Lakes Canadian waters--not sure on the far Eastern par of Canada, not a lot of C Dorys go to Nova Scotia or Newfoundland.
alainP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, yes that was the outfit I mentioned, Great source of info for Baja travellers. Mostly RVers I suspect. They represent a couple reputable Mexican insurance Companies and it takes just a few minutes on line to get a relatively inexpensive 6 month or yearly liability policy. That type of insurance is required by law and will be needed to launch and by any Marina you will check into. You have to become a menber though, I think it is $35/year but there are many other options out there not requiring membership.
primative

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got off the phone with Foremost Insurance (located in MI). I was given their main # by an agent here in Oregon who suggested I talk with them directly (800- 528-5995).

I was transferred to an agent (Shawn), I explained our plans, and so far I had only been able to find liability insurance. The first thing he said was, we are like the rest, all we can offer is liability as well. Then I pulled up Alain's post and read to him the part, "The boat insurance Foremost Choice Elite ~$380/yr) covers the boat for coastal Mexico all the way down to 22.50N once the boat is in the water in Mexico."
Before I could finish reading it he said OH, yes, the "Elite Package".

After going through the usual questions, models, serial #'s, etc.. Yes, it covers the boat, (agreed value), towing, and personal items to a level I asked for. He sent the quote, which I will review later with Rene. He said it is 1% deductible, and 3% deductible for storm or hurricane.

Unless I missed something, looks like we have found reasonable full coverage for our Mexico plans. Of course that is if they (who ever that is) actually agree to what the agent said in the quote.

Thanks for all your responses,
Appreciate it.
primative

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE
Our new insurance, the Foremost "Elite Package" covers our boat and trailer in both Mexico (as Alain said) to N 22.50 degrees, and Canada (BC for our purposes). We upped the tow insurance from $1,000 to $2,000 (for an extra $5 a year) which covers towing for the truck, trailer and boat when the trailer is connected to a tow vehicle. The way towing works, we contract the service and pay the bill and they reimburse.

We prefer this over our recent "tow from hell" experience with Progressive insurance where THEY chose the tow company. Tom will have more to say about that Smile

Our policy is $552 a year when paying the full year — higher but will cover much more than our old boat policy. It covers our 1999 boat at 35,000 and personal property at 32,000. Trailer at 2500, liability and uninsured at 300,000, medical per person at 5,000. Hopefully we'll never have to file a claim, but the point of insurance is to have peace of mind and this policy offers that.

Easy to deal with... If you want more information, a better phone number for the main office (they're located in Michigan but offer policies across the country) is 800-237-2060 / ask for sales.

We'll still need to get a Mexican liability policy for the days we're there, but we're one giant step closer.
- Rene
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: