View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wood Zeppelin

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject: Boat tool kit Reply with quote

I wasn't sure if this was a "general" or "safety" topic. I went with safety, because I personally don't feel safe going on a boating adventure without at least some basic tools.

Here's my question: I got a "Mariners Tool Set" (Brand: GreatNeck). I'm pretty happy with it, except it's SAE (no Metric) and I have a HONDA Motor. There are also wiring tools, screw drivers, pliers, etc. But for turning bolts, the wrenches are SAE (inches).

Should I return it and look for a Metric version (off the top of my head, there doesn't seem to be many bolts on a C-dory boat itself.)? Or just grab some metric wrenches and have both options on-board?

Anyone have thoughts or advice on this?

Current boats:

1997 22' Angler - "C-Creature"
1988 16' Angler - "E-fishn-C" (Project boat)
1997 16' Cruiser - "Wet-a-Net"

Also:
14.5' Drift Boat - "Wood Zeppelin"
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carried both metric and SAE open. end/box wrenches and 3/8" drive sockets (deep) in both SAE and Metric also. I kept these in a canvas bag. The box wrenches were kept in a canvas (sunbrella) tool roll we made. The sockets were in zip lock bags. Also carried a torque wrench.

Also carry vise grips in large and small, plus needle noise. Water pump pliers, small pipe wrench and medium ball peen hammer. There was a cold chisel/ punch set.

Screw driver, with also handle/socket set with 1/4" drive, and hex holder for bits.
Allen wrenches with both SAE and Metric.

A very good set of diagonal cutters (sized to cut the biggest fishhook easily. (for getting out of hands etc.)

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob for mentioning some tool items that I am deficit on not having in my tool box. One item missing is the medium ball peen hammer. While boating well offshore or in a remote area and to not have the one necessary tool to complete a repair could be devastating. Thumbs Up
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DayBreak wrote:
Thanks Bob for mentioning some tool items that I am deficit on not having in my tool box. One item missing is the medium ball peen hammer. While boating well offshore or in a remote area and to not have the one necessary tool to complete a repair could be devastating. Thumbs Up

All of the above, but I also found a long-handled set of vice grips (i.e. Triplet TT-200) gets used for a lot of things, including reaching behind bars tanks to pick up a dropped nut, reaching to and pulling a line, and retrieving a valued lure from a Dogfish mouth.
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not particularly fond of Harbor Freight’s tools for real everyday use, but I have more than one boat and I have one their all in one tool kits on each boat. I do customize the kit on each boat, to ensure that I have tools for their specific needs, like a socket, just for removing the prop and a spark plug socket, that actually fits the plugs on that specific outboard. Additionally, I have a simple strap wrench for fuel filter removal, as well as an inexpensive volt meter (the free ones that they give you at HF).
OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Schuster

City/Region: Port Orchard
Vessel Name: Sea Witch
Photos: Sea Witch
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has put together a really good collection of tools needed. There are two items that I have carried on my past boats that have come in very handy. A grab-all and a telescoping magnet. Perhaps not as useful on a Cdory as opposed to an inboard boat like an Atlas Acadia where things can get dropped under the motor into the keel bilge. I now need to go see if I have tools to remove that prop. Thanks.
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robhwa wrote:

All of the above, but I also found a long-handled set of vice grips (i.e. Triplet TT-200) gets used for a lot of things, including reaching behind bars tanks to pick up a dropped nut, reaching to and pulling a line, and retrieving a valued lure from a Dogfish mouth.

Thank you for introducing a tool I had never seen. There is another vise grip which I have found very handy (and it sits in my bag of "traveling tools"--ones which I have only one of a tool, and it can be put in the RV, truck, boat etc.I also

That is the chain vise grip (yes Harbor freight has a knock off). The chain vise grip is really handy to capture or hold pipes, shafts, or even lock out surge brakes on a temporary basis (I would never travel with the chain vise grips on the trailer tongue.

I also include in my travel tool bag, the grabber and magnet wand, But I do carry both a dental inspection and larger mirror on a wand, both in my Travel bag" and on the boat.

I didn't go into the electrical bag: Digital volt meter (travel bag has clamp on meter with ranges up to 400 volts AC and DC, to measure high amperage draw by clamping over the wire, instead of attempting a series measurement, limited to 10 amps as in most standard DVM.

In the electrical bag is solder and a low neat pencil soldering iron. I also have a small butane torch, which can be used with a larger soldering iron tip, hot air, fusing rope ends, cutting Sunbrella etc.A good ratchet crimper, multiple connectors in sizes from 2/00 to 24, heat shrink adhesive tubular shrink wrap insulation. The Kill-O-Watt meter, AC polarity meter, and pencil AC live wire finder, Wire cutter / stripper, small jumpers with alligator clamps, and at least 20 feet of #12 red wire (Marine grade) (and assorted pieces of black and red wire).

I also have a Dremel tool bag--for the boat or travel it is a rechargeable unit, amd a full assortment of steel/carbide & diamond bits, metal cutting discs, and sanding discs and drums. There is a small drill bit set with the appropriate mandrels.

These "extra tool bags" are kept at home ready to be tossed in the various vehicles as part of the "loading process"--just as much as the Li iron jump box, (which has all sorts of attachments for 12 volt use--USB, cig lighter, and alligator clamps, so I can use the portable jump pack to inflate the in dinghy on the roof top or anywhere away from a 12 volt source for the high pressure air pump. Also in the same "pile" are an extra set of binoculars, the Ear eTc communication sets, and my 14 x 42 Techno-stabil Funijon Binoculars.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tools to change the prop.
C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have one for my C-dory yet and it's also not as needed as my previous boat but I use to carry a pouch with an assortment of plug for all thru hull on the boat and a couple non reinforce wax ring (for setting toilet, I recommend new one), can be use to plug any size/shape hole in an hurry. It give you time to attend to other urgent things happening at the same time or get to a safer place for a more permanent fix. Usually need some form of backing but most anything can be use in an emergency.
sparkle; Ericson 25 CB 2008-2012
Sculpin; Drascombe Drifter 2005-2008
Wood Zeppelin

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great conversation, thanks all!

BTW, Does Honda have one of those "Motor tool kits" that are specific to their motors?
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wood Zeppelin wrote:

BTW, Does Honda have one of those "Motor tool kits" that are specific to their motors?

I don't know--There are a number of speciality tools, used for specific engines rebuild. Have had full shop manuals for several of my Honda's and they give the part number of those very specialized tools. When needed, I have modified or built the tool needed (sometimes crude adaption of other tools).

I know that "Snap On" has a set of tools for the Honda cars, which is over $8,000. I have all of those tools plus a lot more in my shop tool boxes. A few of my tools are from 2 generations back and are over 100 years old (a few spanners, but mostly hand wood working tools--and often the most fun to use!).
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wood Zeppelin wrote:

Yes, there are a few tools. Spark plug wrench, a screwdriver, few other things. These are meant for basic things that you can reasonably do on a boat in the water. They are not meant for anything more than that. For instance, there is a tool to remove the oil drain plug, but nothing that will let you change the impeller.
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps there can be a "Minimalist" list for those of us who primarily day trip and may do overnights in largely protected / well -traveled waters?

I'm having enough problems storing cleaning supplies, PFDs, towels, bimini top, fishing gear, and a few other odds and ends.

Or is this a corollary to the old aviation saw that the airplane can't fly until the weight of the paperwork exceeds the max gross weight of the aircraft?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: