The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Repowering; The Long And Winding Road

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:41 pm    Post subject: Repowering; The Long And Winding Road Reply with quote

When we purchased our Tomcat in 2010 it came without grommets on the motors. I had never owned an outboard with a rigging hose before, so I didn't know any better. Over the years, the rigging hoses came loose every time we turned the wheel or tilted the motors, allowing saltwater intrusion onto the motors. I tried cable ties, hose clamps, and duct tape with little success. We suffered through multiple repairs, partly due to rust and corrosion.

Last year Honda announced the latest model of 150 HP motors. After very little debate, we decided to order new motors rather than throw good money after bad. With supply chain issues, the motors took eleven months to arrive. In September, we were finally able to haul our Tomcat out to swap motors.

It took two weeks before the mechanics were able to get to our boat. Once the old motors were sold and hauled away, the new motors were bolted on and the boat looked great. Looks can be deceiving.

The new motors are NMEA 2000 compliant, which meant we needed new wire harnesses. It took a while for them to arrive, but once they were installed we learned that we also needed to replace our old gauges.

The boat was finally back in the slip today. The new rigging hoses do not require grommets. Unfortunately, the new motors didn't come with a small plastic blue terminator for the new harnesses as they should. The new HD-4 gauge is only reading the port motor. A replacement terminator has been on backorder for three weeks. I'm not sure when we can take the boat out again, but at least I can go down to the marina and wash it tomorrow. I stopped at the fuel dock on the way back to the slip and filled the tanks. Once I get the gauge to read the starboard motor I can set up the options on the gauge.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
gstraub

City/Region: Callao
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: EnDoryFun
Photos: EnDoryFun
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not giving me a "warm fuzzy" about our upcoming re-power!
Pacificcoast101

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you have better luck. I'm going to the marina to wash the boat and then wait for the last part to arrive...and wait...and wait...
Pacificcoast101

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to go to the boat again tomorrow. The greasy footprints all over the deck wouldn't come off with soap. Also, the GPS has no power. The mechanic said he would come down to the slip when he gets a chance. Sad
Pacificcoast101

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toilet bowl cleaners got the boat clean. The hot wire to the GPS was inadvertently stuffed in a bundle of new wires from the new NMEA 200 system. I was able to pull it out and plug it back in. All better now.
Pacificcoast101

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boat is clean and ready to go diving...except for the new NMEA 2000 system. Apparently, the gauge won't recognize the starboard motor until the dealer comes down with a computer with Honda software on it. It's a two-minute operation. I went by his shop today but he can't find his computer. In the meantime, we have a clean boat with two new motors sitting in a slip unused. Sad

I'm sure we will love the new motors if we ever get to use them.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, you are almost there & it will be worth all the tribulations. My transition wasn’t as bad as yours, but the last was near the same. After the motors being changed & me later adding new chart plotter, auto pilot, radio & nmea 2000, the last problem was installing & making the nmea 2000 relate to both motors with my last addition, the twin HD-4 gages. The nearest Honda dealership, that could do the software upload was 150 miles away in Salt Lake City. We took it to them & they did the software, but still couldn’t get both gauges relating to the motors, as they should, so with few other options, I towed the boat back home & through much trail & error working with the gauges settings got it all working properly myself. Presently, I couldn’t be more pleased with all the changes & soon, I hope you will to. The Honda dealership, I went to sold lots of Honda motors, but had very little or no experience hooking up HD-4 gages to twins. I hope yours does. At least they ended up not charging me anything for the Honda software upload.

Good job writing with photos the change over process thus far.

Jay

Pacificcoast101

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you choose to go with two gauges? A single gauge will read both motors, at least after the software makes them communicate with it.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacificcoast101 wrote:
Why did you choose to go with two gauges? A single gauge will read both motors, at least after the software makes them communicate with it.

Yes one gauge will work with twins & saves about $500, but to me it’s worth the $ to have each gauge dedicated to its engine making them easier to view with more information without scrolling through the different views. I can bring most of the information on the gauges up on the chart plotter & not have any gauges & doing so would have saved a $1000 by uses the nmea shared ability, but would take screen room from the chart plotter & more difficult to set & use, so for me though not necessary, worth the extra cost.

Jay
Pacificcoast101

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The owner of the dealership was able to borrow a cable and came down to our slip to program the starboard motor with the Honda Doctor H software. He said it only takes a couple of minutes. An hour later, the motor still wouldn't talk to the gauge. I went to the boat this morning and reset the gauge. Suddenly, both motors showed up. I increased the RPMs on each motor to make sure. We now have a working boat instead of a floating paperweight.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merry Christmas after all. Glad you now have a working set of engines and gauges. Quite a thrill following your events. Seems like nowadays what they are able to build things that they cant install or service.

Two comments. First we just bought an electric car. Can't wait until something goes wrong. Second, after some time, the only thing I watch is the RPM. Everything else stays the same.

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: