View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazy4salmon

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Therapy
Photos: C-Therapy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Espar Heater---Muffler needed??? Reply with quote

Happy Friday all. In the middle of installing an Espar D2 into my dory. Wondering if anybody had used the muffler that came with the kit and where you placed it? Looks more airtight than the Chinese models but the directions don't show it. Looks to be open on the edges, at least not crimped or welded at the corners. Thanks for your help.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a Wabatso heater in my C-Dory and I find it quiet enough that I have no need for a muffler. I like it so much that I also installed one in my truck camper and same story, no muffler needed. I'm sure the same would be true with the Espar as they are virtually identical to the Wabatso. Now, I have walked past a couple of Sprinter vans with diesel heaters that were very load and my guess is that they are using Chinese diesel heaters.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one time I had made two mufflers for my Webasto, but never ended up using them. (I was too concerned about leaking exhaust in the boat!) When you are next to the exhaust, yeah it does sound like a small jet engine. But not unlike standing next to the heater exhaust on an RV. And over still water at night, perhaps the sound carries? But I have never had a complaint even from folks docked next to me. Colby
crazy4salmon

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Therapy
Photos: C-Therapy
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very helpful guys, I appreciate it. Think I will have my buddy weld up the muffler and if the exhaust annoys me? I will give it a shot. I am sure that it will be another part sitting around for years in my garage. Wink Thanks
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made two mufflers, both are absolutely silent. No need to weld, solder is fine and copper tubing works great. Find a shop where you can buy a short length (18 inches) of two inch copper pipe and a couple end caps. Probably enough details in my photo album to show you how to make it. Basically a Cherry Bomb muffler.

I made a video to show how quiet the muffler is, but haven't been able to figure out how to post videos on the forum. At a C Dory get together a member walked down the dock and asked me to turn it on so that the could hear it. It was already running and pointed right at them.

Some of the little heaters have a one inch combustion air intake hose. They make a silencer for that that works and will be needed if you want total silence. Actually, total silence is difficult because the dosing pump ticks. I wrapped mine in pipe insulation and suspended away from the bulkhead. Can still hear it when sleeping, but it's not a problem.[/list]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: