The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

10/02 - 10/06 - “Meet in the Middle” C-Brat Gathering
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we got the sign up now for this event! Thanks Tyboo!
Gavin17

City/Region: Indianapolis
Vessel Name: Looking for a C-Dory
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is exciting. Let me be the first to welcome you to Kentucky. I grew up at Prizer Point and have been boating on Lake Barkley since before I could walk. I haven't been in a few years but still consider it home, probably more so than the house I grew up in. I’m here because we’re pretty sure we have a c-dory in our future (or tug) although it may be a few years away. I’ve only seen a few c-dorys in person and never boarded one. I keep my eye on the classifieds and have been trying to learn as much as possible about traveling by boat.

Prizer point has lots of cabins and condos. They should have slips w/ electric for rent as well. If I make it down I’ll probably travel light and rent a condo room.

Barkley lake will be low in October and the lake traffic is down but certainly not out. Getting from any marina to the main channel is easy and well-marked. When venturing out of the main channel I’d rely on charts and your depth finder and low speed. The bottom of the lake is muddy and I don’t usually break things going slow. Every marina should be open with food and Fuel. The restaurant at Prizer is ok. Eddy Creek is better. Kuttawa harbor has the best ice cream selection. Patties settlement in Grand rivers has the best food around, I’d make reservations just in case. I’ve done the Prizer to Light house landing cruise countless times in 4 different boats. Lighthouse landing has some courtesy docks but I’ve always brought 1 boat. I know 4 or 5 can fit. If you bring 10-20 I’d call ahead. You may need to tie 2 abreast or anchor some and shuttle. Kentucky and Barkley lake both have plenty of coves for easy anchorage and on a weekday in October it may feel like a private lake.

I’ve never been thru Barkley or Kentucky lock but plenty of private boaters use it. The lakes have barge traffic so I give them as much room as possible. Barkley is relativity shallow and a barge can churn up logs from the bottom. Most of lake has a deep enough channel to get around barges easily. In more narrow sections I may leave the channel to pass a barge. This is trickier in October when the lake is down.

If you travel south from Prizer point you’ll pass Lake Barkley Marina and state park then eventually the lake turns back into a river. This makes for a scenic cruise as well and I’d recommend it. If anyone is interested in hiking or biking Land between the lake has 50+ miles of trails and there is a bike shop in Grand rivers called Wood-N-Wave.

I’ll put this on my calendar and hopefully make it down at least 1-2 days. I’m at the mercy of two school schedules with a daughter in 1st grade and wife in grad school. We do most of our boating on the weekends. I doubt I’ll bring a boat and would love to take a cruise on a c dory if anyone has room. Is anyone planning on staying thru the weekend or at least Friday night?
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavin, thanks so much for your input. I'm no where near as familiar with the lake as you are, but I have boated it several times. You supported my earlier comments about lake levels and watching charts and depth sounders closely when out of the channel. In regards to the marked channel into Prizer Point, I had a little bit different experience when I went in there a few Octobers ago. Lake was low as expected. Unfortunately one of the buoys was out of position and when I got into about 2' of water, I zoomed in on my electronic chart a bit more to get back into the entrance channel. I do plan on cruising after the gathering, upstream on the Cumberland River, hopefully to it's navigational end. I'll likely be doing this with Bill, on Mystery Girl, a 23' Ranger Tug. (This will be a slow cruise at hull speeds if anyone else is interested.) I'm also hoping to lead us on a cruise up to Light House Landing marina. Gavin, you are more than welcome to ride with me on C-Traveler, a 2009 CD-25, if not on that cruise, perhaps just out for a few hours to see how the CD-25 rides. I'm not sure yet if I'll be launching at Prizer Point, or at Kentucky Lake Dam State Park. Colby P.s., that ice cream information at Kuttawa Harbor is a priority interest! Mr. Green
Gavin17

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's a 25 and Tomcat on Barkley I'm morally obligated to show.
I think our plan will be to arrive late wed night and meet you guys Thursday morning. I'm not sure if we're bringing a boat, camper or neither. My daughter may miss 2 days of school, don't tell anyone. I'm not sure if my wife can make it, her schedule isn't out yet.

Selfishly I'd vote we go to Patties on Thursday but we've all been and you can go without me if it suits the group better.

Good point about the missing buoy. This lake has a home field advantage and I've got much of it memorized. As you leave Prizer you'll stay left and hug the south shore for most of the way out to the main channel.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it was that 4th green one coming in, that was missing at the time. And I either missed the red, or wasn't sure it was one of the markers. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bringing this back up to the top. This can be a great gathering with some additional great cruising. And October colors in the area are likely to be on show. Great way for us Midwesters to close out out boating season! Get it on your calendar and sign up now. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads up. Prizer must have opened back up for the season, as I saw some ads from them and sent a new email to request reservations. Unfortunately, whoever called me back was not familiar with the C-Dory gathering in October. This was yesterday. I just remembered to check here again today to see what arrangements had already been made. Looking at the very first post, I see Tiffany or Tracy are who we want to contact. I just redirected my earlier email to Tiffany. The information I did get from whoever called me back said that if not staying at the marina, parking would be $5/day, or you can get a season's pass for $50. I plan to cruise for a few weeks after the gathering, so the season's pass will be my plan. While staying at the marina, the boat launch and parking is free. From what I remember, it's not a very large parking lot. And a fairly steep ramp. But my memory isn't what it use to be. Mr. Green Colby
Gavin17

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The immediate parking next to the ramp is limited but there is a pretty large overflow parking area too. I doubt it will cause any issues in October. The ramp is above average grade but nothing crazy. I actually miss that ramp compared to the two I use most often. One is too mellow where the boat is hard to launch and the other, much steeper. It's hard not to spin tires pulling up.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike (txmntman),
I'm just putting two and two together and realized you ended up selling your boat. Are you still looking at doing this gathering at Land Between the Lakes at Prizer Point? I'd still like to see it happen. It works out to be a good time for me scheduling wise, and while I'm not crazy about taking over planning, I would like to still see this gathering happen. If you're not interested in doing this anymore, can you let me know what calls/plans were already made with regards to Prizerpoint? Anybody else here still interested, it is my intent to make sure this event happens. I know summer still hasn't even officially arrived yet, and this is in the fall, but personally I think getting things on the calendar early allows for those that want to make plans early, to do so. Colby
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in this gathering. It's not as far for me to get to this one as all the others. Haven't ever been to that area either.

Not really sure what my schedule in October is yet though.
txmntman

City/Region: GEORGETOWN
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Saint Somewhere
Photos: Saint Somewhere
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Yes, Yes!
Yes, I did sell my boat, Life changes.
Yes, I do intend on continuing with the “Meed in the Middle” Gathering.
Yes, I will still host (if ya’ll will let me…maybe I can even get a boat ride?)
I will be there with my 5th Wheel trailer.
So…..
Come to the “Meet in the Middle Gathering”.
The Admiral and I were just there before Easter. Great Place
Call Prizer Point and talk about the “O’Neal Group” . This is the C-Dory gathering. We should get a special rate. You can rent a slip with electricity, or a cabin, or an RV site. It is a very nice, large KOA campground with Marina. Make your arrangements with them directly, but mention “O’Neal” to get the special rate. They should be expecting us. (If you get any static, please let me know. I have found them to be pretty obliging)
There is a very steep ramp at the marina, gas, and a place for your trailer.
It is a neat place. I hope to see you all there.

Boston Whaler Montauk "Joe Bob" Sold
Hobie Cat "Mikey Likes It" Sold
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see C-Brats using the lakes my grandfather dammed up when working for the TVA

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

txmntman wrote:
Yes, Yes, Yes!
Yes, I did sell my boat, Life changes.
Yes, I do intend on continuing with the “Meed in the Middle” Gathering.
Yes, I will still host (if ya’ll will let me…maybe I can even get a boat ride?)
I will be there with my 5th Wheel trailer.
So…..
Come to the “Meet in the Middle Gathering”.
The Admiral and I were just there before Easter. Great Place
Call Prizer Point and talk about the “O’Neal Group” . This is the C-Dory gathering. We should get a special rate. You can rent a slip with electricity, or a cabin, or an RV site. It is a very nice, large KOA campground with Marina. Make your arrangements with them directly, but mention “O’Neal” to get the special rate. They should be expecting us. (If you get any static, please let me know. I have found them to be pretty obliging)
There is a very steep ramp at the marina, gas, and a place for your trailer.
It is a neat place. I hope to see you all there.

So glad to hear you still want to do this! I’ll give you the boat ride! And thanks for the tip to tell them O’Neal group! Colby
Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang!
Now that my familial responsibilities are concluded you've got me considering my first cruise out of my home state. Not committing but I'll be giving it serious though through the summer. If we get through the next hurricane unscathed I might just do it. Just put it on my calendar and will be following the thread.

James

colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molly Brown wrote:
Dang!
Now that my familial responsibilities are concluded you've got me considering my first cruise out of my home state. Not committing but I'll be giving it serious though through the summer. If we get through the next hurricane unscathed I might just do it. Just put it on my calendar and will be following the thread.

James

Hey James, would love to see you and Betty on Lake Barkley. Different waters than the St. John's, but beautiful in their own way. (Leave now, you could probably boat all the way. lol) And October should offer some beautiful colors in the foliage! Mystery Girl and I (and perhaps a few others) plan to cruise on the Cumberland River after the gathering. No gaters or Manatees, but still birds. And every once and a while maybe a goat. Or deer. Among other critters. Have you gone through a lock yet? Here's your opportunity. And Land Between the Lakes offers some nice hiking and I'm sure some running trails for Betty. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: