The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

10/02 - 10/06 - “Meet in the Middle” C-Brat Gathering
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Rob. Hope I'm not boring anyone yet. And I'm not real pleased with my iphone's photos due to the cover causing fuzziness due to scratches in the protective window over the lens.... Anyway, today we cruised about 38 miles to Nashville. Numerous tows on the water today. Passed a few, went around a few, and even got overtaken by one. (We're running 5 kts, he was running 6 kts.) Lots to see today. But the most excitement for me, and bummed I didn't have the camera ready, was watching a new barge being launched in Ashland City. We had already passed the facility when Bill noticed what appeared to be a safety meeting going on. (Guys in hard hats huddled up.) He then noticed a tug moving towards the facility. There had been a barge sitting up on the bank on tracks leading into the water. I decided to turn around and go back to see if the barge was to be launched. Before I could get there, I saw it slide down the bank and splash into the water. The tug came in behind it, tied on, and took it away. Other than that, lots of river barge industry to see as we neared Nashville. We left Mike and Christy on Little Joe in Nashville. The Riverfront dock is by reservations through Dockwa. They decided to make reservations so they could get the code to the gate padlock, while Bill and I decided to press on. (Little Joe will be turning around tomorrow to head back. Nashville was their destination for this trip.) Tonight Mystery Girl and I are on the old lock wall at mile 201. Think of being in a lock, at the bottom of the lift. We were able to get tied to the bits in the wall, but shore side will not be accessible unless we scale the 10 feet of wall above us! A few of today's photos: Colby

This was the barge that was launched

Tug waiting to catch it.

And off it goes...

This was the tow that overtook us. Later he stopped mid channel (he called and notified us) to pick up two more barges. There was another tug that pushed them in to the front.

You never know what you'll see along the shore...This was on what appeared to be a small private launch ramp.

Little Joe going past some barge facility.

Mystery Girl going past a tug putting barges together.

Mystery Girl coming into Nashville. Notice the "Bat wing" towers. Apparently this building was filmed in one of the Batman movies.

Mystery Girl, C-Traveler and Little Joe on the Nashville Riverfront dock.

Mike captured this photo while walking across the bridge to downtown.

One more

Mystery Girl passing by General Jackson
JohnnyD

City/Region: Panama City
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Gypsy Rose
Photos: Gypsy Rose
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:46 pm    Post subject: Float back to Prizer's from Patti's 1880 Settlement Reply with quote

Float back to Prizer's from Patti's 1880 Settlement

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZThXiVZ2RL6j1wUhJ5dmDPuTjeh7LpDBWEk

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Float back to Prizer's from Patti's 1880 Settlement Reply with quote

JohnnyD wrote:
Float back to Prizer's from Patti's 1880 Settlement

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZThXiVZ2RL6j1wUhJ5dmDPuTjeh7LpDBWEk

Nice video!
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had one tow go by us last night, leaving a little wake, but we still did ok on the old lock wall at mile 201. I measured it this morning. We still had 12 feet of wall above our roofs. And even if we wanted to scale it to get on shore, there was a fence at the edge. Anyway, a doable stopover for the night. Something I've noticed is that there is a pretty good fluctuation of water levels on the Cumberland River upstream of Cheatham Lock. Last night I believe the water level dropped a little over a foot, then came back up this morning most of the way.... That same tow that went past us must have stopped somewhere later, as he was an hour ahead of us when we left in the morning. Today we experienced the strongest current along the Cumberland River, about 1.5 kts. Maybe 2. We assumed it was from the Old Hickory lock releasing water. We also ran slow and remained behind that tow, then waited just shy of two hours while it went through the lock ahead of us. He was a double lockage. (IE, couldn't fit his entire tow through the lock.) Seems to me these locks are shorter than others I've been in. Also made reservations for locking through Cordell Hull later this week. Probably no commercial barge traffic so it has very limited hours, requiring a call by noon the day before. Speaking with the lock tender at Old Hickory, he suggested I call today as the guy is a hard to get a hold of. Got him at the second number, and his days off are Friday and Saturday, so he has to put in for overtime, thus our reserved time is pretty important to make. This evening Bill and I are anchored on one of the many coves on Old Hickory Lake. Colby

Looking upriver on the old lock wall at mile 201

Looking downriver

Mystery Girl floating while waiting for the tug to enter Old Hickory lock ahead of us.

Once the tug entered the lock, we held on the approach wall. Here Bill is on the starboard side, while I'm on the port side.

Bill waiting for the lock to begin filling.

Bill taking my picture while I take his. Mr. Green

just another photo of us in the lock.

Sunset on Mystery Girl this evening in one of the many coves here on Old Hickory Lake.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few photos to upload tonight. We had a peaceful night anchored in one of the Old Hickory Lake Coves. This evening we are in Cedar Creek near mile 264. Earlier today we stopped at Cedar Creek Marina at mile 233 to put on some more fuel. (Different creeks) Saw a number of fishing boats today, and a few cruisers. We passed what will probably be the last of barges as we head upstream, at the Gallatin Steam Plant. I stopped abeam the barge facility there for a bit to watch them unload a coal barge and the small work tug push an empty out of the way and a full into position. They use a large crane bucket to unload the barge. (The tow that passed us the other night while we were on the old lock wall and that we had to wait for at the Old Hickory Lock, was taking coal barges up to the Gallatin Steam Plant.) Colby

Another photo of C-Traveler in the Old Hickory Lock as the gate was being closed behind us.

Unloading coal at the Gallatin Steam Plant

Goodnight
kevinnuckles@icloud.com

City/Region: Yorktown
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: SEA STAR
Photos: SEA STAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:38 am    Post subject: Mystery Girl Reply with quote

What brand is Mystery Girl. Looks modern and comfortable.
kevinnuckles@icloud.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:04 am    Post subject: Video Reply with quote

Wow! That was a great video! Very skilled.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery Girl Reply with quote

kevinnuckles@icloud.com wrote:

Looks like a Ranger Tug. I have an album of the R23 here -

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2612&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Rob

colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery Girl Reply with quote

Mystery Girl is a 23 Ranger Tug.
kevinnuckles@icloud.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: R-23 Reply with quote

Very sweet boat.
kevinnuckles@icloud.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Pictures Reply with quote

Hope you sent some of those great pictures to Julie for a possible calendar!
Maybe I am the only one that uses a calendar anymore…
[/list]
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Girl Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:

Mystery Girl is a 23 Ranger Tug.

And here she is where it is a bit colder & riding waves from a calving glacier
http://www.c-brats.com/albums/album3430/trim_C7324486_E1BD_42B9_B00D_B069A6EA0740.mov

kevinnuckles@icloud.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: That water is alive! Reply with quote

Pure coolness! Thanks
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a very serene night in Clear Creek, Bill and I cruised 39 miles and are tied up against the old lock 7 wall. It’s another high wall, but this one doesn’t have a fence on top of it, and we have access to ladders to get to the top! My uploaded photos will show how we tie up to these high walls. We’re in a much more desolate area of the Cumberland River, and only saw one fishing boat today, near the lock wall when we arrived. Very peaceful cruising along at 5mph and enjoying the scenery. Tomorrow we have reservations to lock at Cordell Hull at 1pm. (Because it’s not a high use lock, you have to set up lockage in advance. I doubt there are many, if any, commercial tows this far up river.)
Added this morning. Not enough cell service to upload last night, so adding another photo this morning. Had quite a bit of fog until just after we departed at 8a. Also, the current really picked up in the River yesterday afternoon, and was probably flowing at about 2mph after we got tied on the lock. Water level was rising as well. In this mornings photo you can see where the water level on the wall was. Bill measured a 26" drop from the high wet mark on the wall. Very common fluctuation closer to the dams (we're 11nm away) from their generation schedules. This morning, there is barely any current at all as well. Colby

Old Lock 6 Wall. Much lower than the two old lock walls we've stayed on.

Mystery Girl and C-Traveler on old Lock 7 wall

Here you can see my aft line tied onto a chain coming down off the top of the lock wall. (Heavy sucker. I couldn't budge it from above.) Bill is tied off to a bit in the wall with his forward line. (He had another bit to tie on with his stern line, and a ladder right at his cockpit.)

I've got my forward line on a bit in the wall, and you can see my ladder.

Fog this morning, and if you look close you can see last nights high water level on the wall.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another day enjoying time on the water. Got to the Cordell Hull Lock a little bit early, and waited about 30 minutes before the gate was opened for us. I think that was the fastest fill / lift I’ve had in these locks. The lockmaster said it takes 12 minutes. I think he had the valves full open. A little turbulence near where I was, but didn’t have any problems staying on the wall. Tonight we are anchored in McDonald Hollow Cove, near mile 328. We got our kayaks down today, and kayaked around the cove. Colby

C-Traveler on the wall inside Cordell Hull lock.

Cordell Hull lock upper gate opening in front of Mystery Girl

C-Traveler and Mystery Girl anchored in McDonald Hollow cove
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: