View previous topic :: View next topic  
JT

City/Region: JUNEAU
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Lil Toot
Photos: Palomino
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Sad story. C-Dory in Sitka. Reply with quote

KTOO online radio has story. Apparently hit by a wave in confused seas, then swamped. One dead, two rescued.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2022/11/28/1-dead-2-rescued-after-boat-capsizes-near-sitka/

https://alaskapublic.org/2022/11/28/sitka-woman-killed-2-hurt-in-weekend-boating-capsize/
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrible. No other words for it. The ocean can be such an unforgiving place.
C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very sad and unfortunate story.
sparkle; Ericson 25 CB 2008-2012
Sculpin; Drascombe Drifter 2005-2008
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrible with loss of a life. Our prayers to the family of the person lost, and those injured.

The newspaper story cites observations of rescuers nearby when the boat was compromised as:
Quote:
boat was hit by a wave that pushed it into a rock, where it was hit by another wave that overtook the vessel, pushing it into the rocks and shore and causing the back end to sink,

I wonder if the boat had lost power? In any case it was near the rocks and was pushed into the rocks, hit by another wave, swamped and capsized. If the boat was swamped, a capsize does not surprise me. We have no information as to why the deceased was trapped in the cabin. The water temperature near Sitka was 45*. There could have been cold water shock syndrome, trapped or panic involved.

Were there survival suits, adequate life vests, or other safety/survival gear available? An inflatable life vest could play a role in being trapped in an overturned boat. Training should consider that possibility and the response. Emergencies happen so fast, that victims have to react immediately.

Be safe!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

I wonder if the boat had lost power?

I have been sleuthing our C-brat membership, comparing what's up in Sitka to clues left in the newspaper articles. I do believe the owner is registered on this site with 0 posts. I wont post my conclusion here.

It was a terrible tragedy for sure

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sad to hear & horrible for those involved. We’ve been through this area a half dozen times or more & around Three Entrance Bay & Cape Barunof can definitely be a dangerous place, when the swells are up. Small islands & shallow water with swells reverberating back, combined with tides can cause confused seas or just the swells growing into large steep possibly breaking waves, making navigating difficult to avoid shallow water & reefs. It appears they had good visibility, but in that place under those sea conditions, I can see how it could happen even if they didn’t lose power.

I came very close to having this happen to me last summer about 40 miles north of Sitka , when entering Piehle Passage by myself, off the open Gulf of Alaska. Swells & trying to avoid unexpected kelp got me with in just feet of waves breaking on rock, while trying to get motors going again. In trying to avoid the kelp which I didn’t, I didn’t pay enough attention to the correct course to avoid getting too close to the rock & very fortunate to not end up rolled over it.

Jay

doc

City/Region: Auke Bay
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Bella Rey
Photos: C-Alaska
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:37 am    Post subject: Sitka Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Terrible with loss of a life. Our prayers to the family of the person lost, and those injured.

The newspaper story cites observations of rescuers nearby when the boat was compromised as:
Quote:
boat was hit by a wave that pushed it into a rock, where it was hit by another wave that overtook the vessel, pushing it into the rocks and shore and causing the back end to sink,

I wonder if the boat had lost power? In any case it was near the rocks and was pushed into the rocks, hit by another wave, swamped and capsized. If the boat was swamped, a capsize does not surprise me. We have no information as to why the deceased was trapped in the cabin. The water temperature near Sitka was 45*. There could have been cold water shock syndrome, trapped or panic involved.

Were there survival suits, adequate life vests, or other safety/survival gear available? An inflatable life vest could play a role in being trapped in an overturned boat. Training should consider that possibility and the response. Emergencies happen so fast, that victims have to react immediately.

Be safe!

Well, Bob; you know better than most, the number of variables that can stack up out there. Compound that with the cold and wind and waves, ages, physical capabilities and luck of the draw…. It is a tragedy, no matter how you stack it. Very few smaller craft have survival suits, let alone time and room to put them on in a small boat. I don’t know the weather in Sitka today, but it’s 17F at my house and earlier forecast was high winds out in Lynn and Stephens. I know it doesn’t really relate to the weather over in Sitka, but still, likely wasn’t real pleasant.

doc

City/Region: Auke Bay
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Bella Rey
Photos: C-Alaska
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:37 am    Post subject: Sitka Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

Quote:

Be safe!

Well, Bob; you know better than most, the number of variables that can stack up out there. Compound that with the cold and wind and waves, ages, physical capabilities and luck of the draw…. It is a tragedy, no matter how you stack it. Very few smaller craft have survival suits, let alone time and room to put them on in a small boat. I don’t know the weather in Sitka today, but it’s 17F at my house and earlier forecast was high winds out in Lynn and Stephens. I know it doesn’t really relate to the weather over in Sitka, but still, likely wasn’t real pleasant.
cbbernard

City/Region: Wakefield
State or Province: RI
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SEA STORY
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly sorry to read this. I lived in Sitka and ran a 28-foot boat there for a while, and know how easiy it is to get in trouble and how dire that trouble can be there. My thoughts to those involved and to their families, some of whom I knew.

Stay safe, all of you.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This tragic story has a silver lining for me. As I travelled down Vancouver Island's west coast this summer during my circumnavigation, I spend 3, 4, and even one time 5 days, waiting for gales and confused seas to subside before making a rounding. There were times I was tempted by impatience to go early....I always resisted those temptations. Once I even turned back and waited another day after driving 3 miles straight out beyond the coast (just that 180° turn in those waves, was a bit of a "white knuckler"). This sad story validates my decision making.

The trick, I guess, is to have the time to wait. Thankfully, I planned my trip with plenty of time to spare. I never felt I needed to rush.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: