The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trailer light problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Trailer light problem Reply with quote

Have question for those really familiar with trailer light wiring. I have a 7 pin plug on truck. Tested pins and starting from bottom and going clockwise pin 1 is blank, pin 2 is left turn, pin 3 is blank, pin 4 is head and tail lights, pins 5 and 6 are blank. When I turn on the truck pin 4 is energized and also is energized when I turn on the headlights. So when I hook up to the boat everything works properly, but when I hook up to the rv i have no taillights. Did the same test on the rv plug and the results where the same as with the trucks but the trailer tail lights do not come on when I turn on the key or when I turn on the headlights. Any ideas?

Correction: Pin 5 is right turn
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your pin #4 (top right) is absolutely for the tail lights. In all my experiences with trailers, the first thing I always check is that there is a good ground. I've chased stuff for hours to only find the trailer had an iffy ground. The stuff you say is blank probably isn't....going from memory if I remember anything from working at the RV dealership once upon a time this is the common set up: Your order....

#1 is trailer brakes
#2 is RT and brake lights
#3 is 12v charge for your battery
#4 is tail lights
#5 is LT and brake lights
#6 is the ground
#7 (middle) is reverse lights
lloyds

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Mine is as you describe except left and right turn signals are reversed. Still don't understand how pin 4 on the rv can be energized but still no taillights but same situation while hooked to the truck and they don't light. Maybe something wrong with the interconnect with the pin 4 on the rv.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These photos may help some.

This first photo is of the inside of the 7 pin trailer plug. (You'd be looking at the back side of the plug where the wires attach.)

TM Tail Marker, AX Auxiliary (12vt), LT Left Turn, RT Right Turn, GD Ground, BU Backup, EB Electric Brakes

Also, on the newer Ford trucks with the factory tow package, some of the pins will not operate until the truck's computer recognizes an attached trailer. In which case, the pins would be unenergized while checking with a VOM but no trailer pigtail attached. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more photo, this is looking directly into the plug recepticle on the truck.

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloyds wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Mine is as you describe except left and right turn signals are reversed. Still don't understand how pin 4 on the rv can be energized but still no taillights but same situation while hooked to the truck and they don't light. Maybe something wrong with the interconnect with the pin 4 on the rv.

Yup got them backwards. I'm sorry - I should have looked it up....It has to be something simple....bad connection or terminal....no ground....something like it. It might even be bad bulbs. I always check the cheap and easy stuff first.
lloyds

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

checked all that. Everything works on truck and on rv except the taillights on the rv. Have another male 7 pin so going to try that. the last illustration is how my plug is configured.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming when you talk about your truck and your RV, you are talking about two separate tow vehicles, that you hook the same trailer up behind. If everything is working on the trailer behind the truck, but behind the RV the trailers tail lights are inop, and the RV's tail light pin is also showing no voltage with the lights on, it's quite possibly a fuse. Look at your owners manual in the fuse section and see if there is anything remotely close to tow, tail light, or some other circuit that may relate to the towing harness. I have had a fuse go out that caused the same kind of issue. The other situation could be a bad wire. (I've had mice chew into towing pigtails and wiring before as well, or wires melt through on exhaust pipes, or that abrade on the frame.) And lastly, a wire could have come loose in the RV's connector. Colby
lloyds

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the rv female plug shows power to the pin 4 taillights. Just about has to be something with that actual pin. Going to take the fixture apart and look at it. It looks okay from the outside.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: