The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Outboard motor up or down for winter storage?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TipsyTurtle

City/Region: Sutton
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C - Turtle
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Outboard motor up or down for winter storage? Reply with quote

Hello,
This is my first winter with my new to me C-Dory 22. What is the general consensus for outboard motor position during the winter months?
Because of the snow we get here in MA I would like to keep the motor up in travel position. Just wondering what other do.
Thanks in advance,
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Outboard motor up or down for winter storage? Reply with quote

TipsyTurtle wrote:
Hello,
This is my first winter with my new to me C-Dory 22. What is the general consensus for outboard motor position during the winter months?
Because of the snow we get here in MA I would like to keep the motor up in travel position. Just wondering what other do.
Thanks in advance,

Motor down. With the motor up water can collect in the exhaust opening and freeze. This can damage things.

Keeping the motor in the snow should not be a problem (after all it is meant to get wet).
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motor down. If in freezing conditions, I would change the fluids before the layup, and fog the cylinders on last shutdown. if possible get any fuel out--especially if carburetors.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might fog and I might not. It is going to depend on how long you store your boat. I don't ever fog any of mine, but they are rarely unused for longer than 2-3 months and live a nice life in a heated shop that doesn't change temperatures. I would if stored out of a climate controlled setting and had a longer storage duration. Draining the carbs is great advice and I'd remove all batteries as well. And these guys are right, it is best to store with the engine down. I'd also service the trailer bearings....if there is any water in there rust forms when given some time and then you have to replace everything. I like to avoid that because it sucks and isn't cheap.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, I fog.

Aye.

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year, rather than fogging by pulling the plugs and spraying fogging oil in the cylinders, I decided to go an easier route. I mixed up a small amount of fogging fuel containing some 2 stroke oil and stabil. And definitely motor down! As others have said, a motor up can allow water to freeze in the lower unit.Also by keeping the unit down, any water in the system should drain out. I also bag the prop and exhaust area to keep any vermits (mice) out. (Also a visual reminder that the motor has been winterized.) Some other winterization items. I plug all the through hulls with corks to keep any mice or bees in late fall or early spring out. I use a small piece of scotch pad in the anchor locker drain, and another scotch pad rolled up in the bilge drain. (This still allows the bilge to drain if necessary, but plugs the hole from mice.) I place Bounce Fabric Softener sheets all through out the cabin as this discourages mice. I place some of the Redi-dry containers in the refrigerator and in the cabin. And lastly I have a small dehumidifying fan running all winter. I do keep my boat plugged in and the battery charger on. It's under a full fabric cover with some venting, and I keep the snow brushed off after winter storms. I don't bother raising the tires, but I do park on top of some 2x4's to keep it off the ground, since it's parked in the back yard over the winter. The trailer is serviced before putting the boat away as well. (Which is mostly checking the oil bath hubs for any water intrusion, and bringing in the electric brake break away batteries for the season.) Colby
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good information! Thanks!
mutski

City/Region: Homer
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Just Us
Photos: Just Us
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
This year, rather than fogging by pulling the plugs and spraying fogging oil in the cylinders, I decided to go an easier route. I mixed up a small amount of fogging fuel containing some 2 stroke oil and stabil. And definitely motor down! As others have said, a motor up can allow water to freeze in the lower unit.Also by keeping the unit down, any water in the system should drain out. I also bag the prop and exhaust area to keep any vermits (mice) out. (Also a visual reminder that the motor has been winterized.) Some other winterization items. I plug all the through hulls with corks to keep any mice or bees in late fall or early spring out. I use a small piece of scotch pad in the anchor locker drain, and another scotch pad rolled up in the bilge drain. (This still allows the bilge to drain if necessary, but plugs the hole from mice.) I place Bounce Fabric Softener sheets all through out the cabin as this discourages mice. I place some of the Redi-dry containers in the refrigerator and in the cabin. And lastly I have a small dehumidifying fan running all winter. I do keep my boat plugged in and the battery charger on. It's under a full fabric cover with some venting, and I keep the snow brushed off after winter storms. I don't bother raising the tires, but I do park on top of some 2x4's to keep it off the ground, since it's parked in the back yard over the winter. The trailer is serviced before putting the boat away as well. (Which is mostly checking the oil bath hubs for any water intrusion, and bringing in the electric brake break away batteries for the season.) Colby

All this talk of Scotch pads and fabric softener sheets has me worried. We never had any trouble with our previous boats, but shortly after reading your post, I saw a red squirrel run by the boat. That brings to mind a shed we left closed for 20 years. When I finally opened the door, it was waist deep in spruce cones; they rolled out like a tidal wave when I opened the door. Every piece of pipe and can of nails I had stored there was stuffed full of cones. Plastic jugs of paint thinner were eaten away right down to the level of the fluid.

We had the boat shrink-wrapped in the fall. Now I'm going to have nightmares about spruce cones all winter.
ssobol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutski wrote:
colbysmith wrote:

All this talk of Scotch pads and fabric softener sheets has me worried. We never had any trouble with our previous boats, but shortly after reading your post, I saw a red squirrel run by the boat. That brings to mind a shed we left closed for 20 years. When I finally opened the door, it was waist deep in spruce cones; they rolled out like a tidal wave when I opened the door. Every piece of pipe and can of nails I had stored there was stuffed full of cones. Plastic jugs of paint thinner were eaten away right down to the level of the fluid.

We had the boat shrink-wrapped in the fall. Now I'm going to have nightmares about spruce cones all winter.

I had a mouse take up residence once. Made a nest in one of the cabinets from a towel left in the boat. Had babies and everything. The mother came and went via the hawserhole. Since then I made a bulkhead for the anchor locker and secure the chain port opening with tape and bronze wool. The wiring port through the aft bulkhead and into the starboard lazerette are secured the same way. After getting the boat from storage, there can be evidence of mice and squirrels being on the outside of the boat under the cover but not inside the cabin. For winter storage I hang vented bags with mothballs from various points on the exterior of the boat. These are under the cover and may deter critters.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mice can be just terrible - they completely destroyed an inflatable boat of mine not too long ago. Apparently, they felt the need to chew holes in it everywhere. However, they didn't get away with it.....they're dead mice now.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2014
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important thing to do for winter storage of a properly lubricated OB
engine is to get the water out. Fogging, tilting, plug changing and using
mouse pads are all secondary, tho of concern. Mice/rodents do not chew on
engine components despite my seeing birds attacking automotive rubber trim
and tires in S America.

General Rule and Advice: Be aware of what you do and what you want to protect.

It's a jungle out there.

Aye.
kcassal

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sea Slug
Photos: Sea Slug
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a good flush with SaltAway, then I tilt up and down a few times. As a final step I do a quick dry fire of the engines. Just on and off with no water. This blows any remaining water out and doesn't hurt the impellers. Do others do the blow out?
ssobol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kcassal wrote:
... Do others do the blow out?

Not me.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After a good flush with SaltAway, then I tilt up and down a few times. As a final step I do a quick dry fire of the engines. Just on and off with no water. This blows any remaining water out and doesn't hurt the impellers. Do others do the blow out?

The few times I've been in salt water and used saltaway, I then rinse with fresh water. The only time I've started the motor out of water, is by accident. And then I quickly shut if off, worried about the impeller. What water are you blowing out? In the down position, everything will drain. I would argue if you let it run too long, you can hurt the impellers without the lubricating/cooling water. When I winterize my boat here in Wisconsin, I simply flush the motor with fresh water, do my annual maintenance, put it in the down position, and park it. (Once it's dry I bag the prop and exhaust to keep critters out.) The only other time I turn the motor over out of the water is if I fog it by spraying fogging oil directly in the cylinders. Then I just turn it over a few times with the plugs out, before replacing the plugs. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: