View previous topic :: View next topic  
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All things being equal with 2 boats, sea states, and speed, the only differences between a properly running and propped 70, 90, or 115 modern 4 stroke outboard on the back of any CD 22 is going to be the size of the lower unit, and the swept area of the internals of the engine. And the difference there will be statistically insignificant over the course of boat ownership because none of those things are going to be THAT much different in a given engine class. Now if that 70 hp Yamaha was a 3 cylinder, which it is not, there would less swept area giving it a slight advantage. Would it be enough to produce 10 mpg? No, but you might get a bit better economy than any other 70 hp out there because of it. I believe you would have hard time measuring the difference. As Bob said, these things are complex with lots of variables. And I'm with lots of other folks, these boats really shine with at least 90 hp hanging off the back. But, if you want to rig a boat with a 70 hp, it is your dime and has been proven to be enough motor to move the boat. However, don't fool yourself into thinking your going to get double the MPGs a 90 gets because you went with the 70. To put things into perspective, my small and extremely light, 16 foot flat bottom skiff does get 10 mpg with a 40 hp modern yamaha hanging off the back @ 20 mph and 4k RPM. If you really want 10 mpg, that is the type of boat you should be looking for. I'm sure the little 16 foot cruiser will provide that kind of efficiency as well.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After a 5,000 mile run non-stop run in a small skiff you get a pretty good idea of what you need (really need) and what you don’t need

Those of us in C Dory land, always enjoy a great story. Tell us about your 5,000 mile non-stop voyage. It will help us understand your background. a Blog, or web site? If not at least a brief narration. (Could be here, or under "grand adventures".[/quote]

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Hholt

City/Region: Midwest
State or Province: IL
Photos: Hholt
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Isabel was a 16’ with a new 40 Yamaha and I got 10 mpg with a 3 blade prop. Tested a 4 blade and it went down slightly and top speed was also diminished. But anyway, I want a bigger more comfortable boat and the 22’ Angler is a nice size and I like the fact that it’s light(er) and can be rigged light. I’m touring the factory in February and I’ll have plenty of questions.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 16' rib with a 40 hp Yamaha that got 10 mpg. I was kind of surprised that it was that high.
Hholt

City/Region: Midwest
State or Province: IL
Photos: Hholt
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Quote:
After a 5,000 mile run non-stop run in a small skiff you get a pretty good idea of what you need (really need) and what you don’t need

Those of us in C Dory land, always enjoy a great story. Tell us about your 5,000 mile non-stop voyage. It will help us understand your background. a Blog, or web site? If not at least a brief narration. (Could be here, or under "grand adventures".
[/quote]

I made my voyage in a 16 foot center console Duroboat “tinny” with a 40 Yamaha on the back and a 2.5 Suzuki kicker. Isabel carried a max 34 gallons of gas and cruised at a max 10mpg depending on her load.

I started on the Mississippi in St Louis on May 1st of this year, and entered the Gulf in Mobile, ran west to Apalachacola where I made an open water jump to Steinhatchee, then north to Marco Island where I picked up my youngest son who had just graduated high school. Together we lived in the Everglades on chickees for a week then headed south to Key West and then on to the Dry Tortugas which was my first planned turnaround. From there we cruised north to Boca Chita where we crossed the Gulf Stream to Bimini For a long Father’s Day weekend, then returned coming in to Palm Beach Inlet, and then on to Savanah where my son flew home and I picked up my GF who joined me as far as Charleston. Then I ran up the east coast solo, spent a week in Nantucket, and then north as far as the Bay of Fundy. That’s where I had to call it quits for safety reasons due to a 30” hull crack that was letting so much water in I could hear the spray hitting the floorboards. I had run from Winter Harbor out past Machias Light/island in 6-8’ long period swells, and cruised into fog as I passed the light with another 10 miles to get to Grand Manan. I basically came into Seal Cove Harbor in a sinking boat, and even though I was able to haul her out and get the big crack welded, there were smaller latent cracks and I essentially condemned the boat. It was close but thankfully I never had to don my drysuit or activate my PLB.

I saw many amazing things on the trip, a HUGE gar on the TenTom, alligators, crocs and manatees, a free jumping marlin in the Gulf, a loafing swordfish in the Gulf Stream, whales bubble feeding on Stelwagen Bank, and finished the trip in the company of puffins in the Bay of Fundy. While at the dry Tortugas I got out of my tent at 2AM and greeted 19 Cubans on a boat/raft coming ashore, which was both an unforgettable and heartbreaking experience. I’m a fisherman, and along the way caught triple tail, sail cats, little tunny, mangrove snappers, amberjacks, and stripers (if I ever do this again I’m going to run slower and fish more!)

Altogether it was an amazing trip, lots of hardship living on a tiny boat with only cot-tents for shelter from the insects and elements, and at age 62 it was very hard physically, but It was a bucket trip list that I’d planned for nearly 10 years, and it was AWESOME!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: