View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wood Zeppelin

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:30 am    Post subject: How to Heat a 22 Angler? Reply with quote

I'm exited to extend my boating into the cooler parts of the year. What is the best way to heat a 22 Angler? Can a single burner Wallas do the trick (providing both a heater and a stove?)

Current boats:

1997 22' Angler - "C-Creature"
1988 16' Angler - "E-fishn-C" (Project boat)
1997 16' Cruiser - "Wet-a-Net"

Also:
14.5' Drift Boat - "Wood Zeppelin"
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe - depends on how warm you like to be and how cold it is outside. It really does. I suspect down your way it could be great.
Wood Zeppelin

C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. The 22 Angler has a small cabin, so not much space to heat. And temps in the 30's-50's. I probably won't go out if it's below freezing.

I'd also consider the little-buddy heater, although they do require a bit of ventilation I think.. Anyone used one of those?
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a 23 with a single burner Wallas. We boated year round and often in Alaskan waters. We spent many nights on the boat. I was OK with the way the stove heated the cabin. My wife was not quite so thrilled. I installed a Wallas heater. We were both glad I did. My wife more so than I, but I have to say it was nice. With the temperature in the 20's or 30's, that single burner Wallas stove would take a looooong time to warm the cabin, and might never get it above the high 50's. The heater made the cabin much warmer much more quickly. With both the heater and the stove on, we could be warm in short order on even the coldest morning.

In addition to providing simple comfort, the heater kept the boat drier and the windows clearer in wet and cold conditions.

It all depends on when and how you boat and what your tolerance for cold is. Your boat has a somewhat smaller volume of cabin space to heat than ours did. I doubt if there is much difference in insulation between the two.

Andesite

City/Region: Anchorage
Vessel Name: Ski-Dory
Photos: Ski-Dory
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Buddy heaters do not work very well. I've used one in my 22' Cruiser. They create too much condensation, and you're right that ventilation is an issue (they shut off automatically when there's not enough oxygen, which is a good thing). I am hoping to install a Planar diesel heather this winter.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried the one burner kerosene wallas and wasn't impressed. Kind of noisy and not that much heat. I know Scan Marine won't like this comment. But have had two Wallas 1300's and loved them both. One was on a 22 cruiser and was great. Now I have one on my Arima Sea Explorer and it is great as well. Scan Marine is a great bunch to work with and would work with then since they are in your area.
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a Wallas 1300 Kerosene heater in the 22 Cruiser. Great heat!

Here's the link for Scan Marine:

https://scanmarineusa.com/products/heaters/

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
T.R. Bauer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally like the Wallas. But, there are better stoves and way better heaters out there. However, there are not any/many that perform both duties like the it does. My experience is when the temps get below about 35-40 F, the Wallas doesn't do all that much but keep some of the chill at bay. People use the buddy heaters and they are ok I guess, if you don't mind all the humidity they produce, the foggy windows, and the fire hazard. I'd be reluctant. You can buy a diesel heater for not that much money these days and they will not have any trouble heating the boat....you'll be fishing in flip-flops and a t-shirt.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Buddy line of heaters are propane fueled IR heaters. They heat you, not the air. IME they work ok, but they do emit some fumes, CO, and moisture. You need to have adequate ventilation which negates some of the heating capacity.

We've used a Lil Buddy heater on days where there is frost on the boat in the mornings. The heater got the job done, but there are better choices. However, the Lil Buddy can't be beat for the price. Since I only use it very occasionally, it beats the cost and maintenance of a real heater for my situation.

These heaters have built in O2 sensing and tilt sensors that cut off the burner. I've had it cut off when the boat was rocked by a wake from a passing boat. Having external CO detectors is probably a good idea. I certainly wouldn't leave one of these heater on while sleeping.
Marco Flamingo

C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed an Espar (German) forced air heater on my 16. It requires installing a small tank for diesel (I use kerosene). On my larger boat, I installed a very similar Chinese made diesel heater. There hasn't been much difference in operation and the Chinese heater was 1/5th the cost. It also has a more sophisticated thermostat and cheaper maintenance parts. These little heaters are rated at about 8kw, which translates to "can cook me out" on the CD 16 to "good down to freezing and gale winds" on my 30' boat. They could definitely handle a 22.

On the CD 16, I have an induction burner for cooking. My house battery is a little Group 21 lead acid. That is enough for an evening meal, running the heater for several hours in the evening, coffee and heat in the morning. I probably could run the heater all night, but choose not to. The inverter for the induction burner needs to be pure sine wave. Pictures somewhere in my photo album.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Andesite

Vessel Name: Ski-Dory
Photos: Ski-Dory
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, could you post the make and model of the Chinese heater you installed and where you purchased it from? I would like to install one in my 22' this winter.
C-Wolfe

C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased on directly from Vevor last year, ship free to Anchorage. I got the all aluminium housing 5kw and I'm happy with it, I was out early october and it keep us warm at about half setting.
sparkle; Ericson 25 CB 2008-2012
Sculpin; Drascombe Drifter 2005-2008
JT

City/Region: JUNEAU
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Lil Toot
Photos: Palomino
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out "Lavaner" diesel heaters. They have a 2Kw & 5 Kw model.
These are top of the line for Chinese Diesel Heaters.
You may want to visit "Chinese Diesel air Heaters" on Facebook for more complete information. Many are installed on boats with good results.
JT

City/Region: JUNEAU
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Lil Toot
Photos: Palomino
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out "Lavaner" diesel heaters. They have a 2Kw & 5 Kw model.
These are top of the line for Chinese Diesel Heaters.
You may want to visit "Chinese Diesel air Heaters" on Facebook for more complete information. Many are installed on boats with good results.
T.R. Bauer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - when installed mine a couple years back, I researched them in great detail. I remember reading they all come out of the same factory over there and there little to no difference in any of them...other than BTU rating....and that was sort of a little lie as well since the 5kw and the 8kw heaters are not really any different dimensionally or on the inside. Programming? Maybe. But TONS of guys on youtube have side by side tested them and say there are not different. At any rate, maybe that has changed now...I have doubts. I have one in the truck and one in the boat and they have been great heaters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: