The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

22 cruiser - no bow pulpit rail?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Voltrades

City/Region: NorCal
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: 22 cruiser - no bow pulpit rail? Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

Currently on the search for a 22 cruiser. I’m looking at one and it does not have a bow pulpit railing, it appears to have come from the factory in this configuration. Anybody seen this before?

So I’m trying to assess how much a negative (or positive) this is - want to check in with experienced owners to get some input?

I have read a bunch of threads where folks speak about accessing the bow through the v- berth as preferred. And others where owners have worked to remove or alter the rail for things like electric trolling motors or cleats. Seen alot of fenders hanging there.

What are your thoughts about the need, functionality, uses of the railing.
How much are you going forward, full body, that the railing is needed?
What other functions does it serve for you?

If I did need/want to add a railing - any ideas of cost and availability?

Thanks, team!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that the bow pulpit is a safety factor. We rarely if ever go thru the forward hatch to the fore deck. Mostly around the starboard side. We put two more railings on the top of the cabin house. The one aft is just at the end of the overhang of the top, so you can grab it as you come on the side deck. The other is diagonally across the eyebrow, so you can hold onto it, until you can put the other hand on the bow railing. One hand for the ship and one hand for you!!

If you can find a salvaged railing it would be as little as $100, on up to having one fabricated or build out with off the shelf parts in the several hundred dollar range.

I would call the factory and see if they could give you their source. Problem is shipping. If you have a local SS welding shop, they can give you an estimate. A good consignment/surplus store, like Marine Connection in Ft. Pierce FL, Sailor Man or Don's marine surplus all in Florida. Mineys in Newport Beach CA is a little closer. I don't know of any in the N. Calif, but probably in the Sausalito area?? would be the most likely place to look.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several years ago I "temporarily" took off my bow pulpit because some of the stanchions were leaking into the v-berth where they screwed onto the deck. I plugged the holes with epoxy...and that's where I stopped. I was planning on putting the pulpit back on (using the method that Bob, above, describes elsewhere) but I never got to it and I never missed it.

I agree with Bob above that there it's likely safer to have them on, but the only time I've ever on the bow is to deploy the anchor and then I'm on my hands and knees and, typically, it's not a life-threatening situation if I fall in anyway.

From time to time I've temporarily stored items on the bow (i.e., crab traps) and the rails are handy for keeping them from sliding off the boat while underway. You can even tie such items to the pulpit rail. However, storing things up on the bow does block your view somewhat, so it's not something I do regularly.

In conclusion, you probably don't need one and I wouldn't go way out of my way to find one or buy one, especially if it's going to involve $$$.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like having one and feel safer with it there. Could you get by without one? Of course. I'd be pretty reluctant to spend a fortune getting one made or shipping one to you, but that's just me. If you have a good C-Dory dealer in your area and are willing to wait, they will often ship it for you for free as they will just toss into the back of the boats they ordered from the factory. I know ours up here will and it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Schuster

City/Region: Port Orchard
Vessel Name: Sea Witch
Photos: Sea Witch
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it is a personal preference either having or not having the bow rail. My feeling is that it is a safety issue. It give you a little extra security when you are out there setting anchor or for whatever reason. even in calm bays there can be unexpected swells and having something to hang on to is beneficial.
As to where you could get one, well I would start by giving Northwest Marine Industries (NMI) a call at 360-389-5351. Theyre now the manufacturers of these boats and I willing to bet they can give you directions as to where they have their rails made.
I had a downeast lobster boat that i had a railing for around the cockpit made from stainless tubing. At $400 I felt it was well worth it for the security it gave my wife while we were out fishing. I went to Railmakers NW in Everett, WA (425-259-9236). They do great work. Who knows they may even be the company that mfrs the rails for NMI. I hope this is of some help.
Good luck.

Griswold

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: LUCIDITY
Photos: LUCIDITY
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Glare... Reply with quote

I usually stand in the front hatch to drop my anchor, I don't recall ever needing it there other than when I washed the boat in the driveway. It does however annoy me and gets in the way when night boating with my overhead light bar on, the glare and reflection blinds me.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Glare... Reply with quote

Griswold wrote:
with my overhead light bar on, the glare and reflection blinds me.

Cover it with pipe insulation - the charcoal coloured foam stuff from Home Depot. It can be pulled off in the daytime and reused again. Comes in half or 3/4 inch pipe size.

Rob

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: