The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Repowering 22 Cruiser w/ new twin Hondas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Waypoint-

City/Region: Jensen Beach, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Photos: Waypoint
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:56 pm    Post subject: Repowering 22 Cruiser w/ new twin Hondas Reply with quote

I see many post on the site about owners going from twins to one larger single and some go with larger twin motors when they repower.

I am going with the same outboards, difference 24 years newer.
Honda 1998 40's to Honda 2022 40's.

Looking forward to see if there is any change in motors. Very happy with the old twin 40's just rusting off the back of the boat. Still running perfect!

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's way cheaper to go to a single is mostly why they are doing it. I'm in similar situation....but just can't bring myself to take perfectly running engines off the back of the boat to put different perfectly running engines onto the back of the boat. I think you will enjoy fuel injection though and you might, maybe, could, get a tiny bit better economy. Don't expect them to make gas though.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you, I ran the twin Honda 40’s for a long time & they like yours, were still running great when we bought replacements. We highly considered sticking with the 40’s on replacement. Their low end torque & adequate power is a good match for the CD22 & the price difference to go with our twin 60’s was significant. If we didn’t normally run very heavy & or at extreme altitude, we would have, like you, replaced with new 40’s instead of the 60’s.

I think what will please you most is the instant reliable starting of these new motors.

Jay

-Waypoint-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to repower the boat for 2 years but getting my hands on new 40's have been a challenge. Then a dealer in Ft. Lauderdale who was getting RIB boats made in Ukraine stopped getting boats, he was stuck with 9 brand new in the box Honda 40's! Felt like I got a deal @ $6500 dollars each. The rigging is expensive for twins. But I can't ever go back to a single engine boat again. To many positives for me. My fuel burn with the old Hondas average 2.5 gallons per hour total. Plan on taking the boat to the Bahamas next year and need two reliable new engines. I can't wait to see what theses little babies will burn.
-Waypoint-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album3464&id=IMG_4448&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Re-powered. Got more rigging to do. Love how shiny they are!
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark
Pretty engines. It sure is nice to have two of them. The Bahamas…… that will be an adventure for sure.

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
-Waypoint-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to share an update with everyone about the fuel consumption difference between the 1998 Honda 40 hp carb twins to the EFI Honda 40s. After sea trials I am able to run the boat 800 Rpm’s less than the old Carburetor engines and make 15 kts- 20 mph. So carbs burned 2.5 gallons per hour (total) new EFIs 1.7 Gph. Total!! @ 3700rpm. SUPER QUIET! no more earplugs with the door open. Sipping gas!!! Not cheap to rig ,but I am super happy with the new twins. Definitely worth the money and most likely more reliable than a single Diesel engine. Plenty of power on the Cd 22. Anyone thinking of replacing there old Hondas with new ones It will be totally worth it!!
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Waypoint- wrote:
Wanted to share an update with everyone about the fuel consumption difference between the 1998 Honda 40 hp carb twins to the EFI Honda 40s. After sea trials I am able to run the boat 800 Rpm’s less than the old Carburetor engines and make 15 kts- 20 mph. So carbs burned 2.5 gallons per hour (total) new EFIs 1.7 Gph. Total!! @ 3700rpm. SUPER QUIET! no more earplugs with the door open. Sipping gas!!! Not cheap to rig ,but I am super happy with the new twins. Definitely worth the money and most likely more reliable than a single Diesel engine. Plenty of power on the Cd 22. Anyone thinking of replacing there old Hondas with new ones It will be totally worth it!!

May I add that anyone thinking of replacing carb outboards with EFI on a used boat, it will be totally worth it if you are planning on keeping the boat long term.
When buying a used boat with carbs, try using the "EFI v Carbs" leverage as part of your price reduction strategy. Every dollar saved helps.

Martin.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, it seems your replacement choice has worked out great for you. I have a few questions & thoughts on your performance details. 15 knots is more like 17.26 smpg, which you achieve at 3700 rpm. At 3700 rpm at 6000 feet altitude & a light boat with our twin 60’s, I do the same, so imagine your’er running a 15 pitch prop? That is the same as me & fantastic to be able to do with 40 hp motors. The highest pitch prop, I could ever run on my old twin forty’s was 3 blade 13 pitch & as I almost always ran very heavy or at high altitude, 3 blade 10 pitch was my most often used props, when running the old twin 40’s.

You say “total” is 1.7 gph at 3700 rpm at 15 knots or (17.26) 20 smpg. Does that mean the total fuel use of both motors at that rpm & speed is 1.7 gph? If so, that equals near 10.2 smpg & phenomenal. Perhaps you meant each motors fuel burn rate is 1.7 gph, which still equals a extremely good number of 5.1 smpg & about the same as I do with the twin 60’s, when running on the light side. If wrong on my observations, I’m very open to being corrected.

I too, love the quiet run of 3700 rpm & still able to do about 17 mph.

Jay
-Waypoint-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, I did mean 1.7 Gallons per hour at 3700 RPMs. total or 0.85 Gallons for each engine. We took the boat out again yesterday with a heaver load (two more people). Ran the boat for 3.5 hours and burned 5 gallons of gas! I dumped 5 gallons into an empty tank and it never ran out of gas! It was close but didn't run dry. My RPMs were 60% at 2200 RPMs and 40% at 4000 RPMs. with in that 3.5 hours of running.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 40 hp 4 stroke gas motor should burn very close to 4 GPH at wide open throttle and 6k RPMs if everything is in properly working order no matter if it is fuel injected or has a flux capacitor. In reality, it's just math pertaining to volumetric efficiency. Newer designs usually are slightly more efficient with their variable valve timing, EFI, better machine work, superior swept area metallurgy, less restrictive exhaust, and improved cylinder head designs. Carefully mapped fuel and ignition curves help some too. I'm glad you're loving what you have. New stuff is generally awesome! And I especially love modern day outboard dependability Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: