The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Hull extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill - it's great that the extension was everything you had hoped for. It makes me feel better about going ahead with mine. Get some moving pictures when you can.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy,
I am glade to hear "Good Things" with the extension. I was keeping my fingers crossed. Not becuase I had any doughts but because of the work you had put into it , I wanted you to be happy with your effort.

Enjoy

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke

Last edited by Papillon on Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy-

Glad to hear your project has worked out so well! I'm happy for you, as I know you've put an enormous amount of effort and thinking into it! Keep us posted about any further developments as you get more time in the new boat.

I'd be curious to hear you discuss about how many hours you think have gone into the design and building of the extension, and the cost as well. The success of this project will undoubtably spin off others, and those planning such projects should go forward with some very realistic expectations of what the time involvement and final cost will be.

Thanks again and congratulations!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Billy

City/Region: Chugiak
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: Beer:thirty
Photos: Beer:Thirty
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! It really turned out to be what I wanted and needed. I must have been tired when I posted last because I forgot to put in the best observation I had.
There are a lot of variables but with a similar load in what I think were similar seas the Beer:Thirty liked cruising at about 18MPH. This was the balance between speed, RPMs and fuel flow. This trip with roughly the same RPMs and fuel flow, I was running 21 MPH! Quite a change if this holds. I'll get more time on and let you all know.
Dave- My extension was made of plywood and then it was glassed over. I was a little concerned that the extra weight might negate some of what I wanted to do but I think in the end it provided just the right balance. If you go with glass and foam, you may find yourself adding some weight in the aft. Im not sure of that of course, but I thought I'd toss it out there as a possibility. The swim step hatch has plenty of room for that if you need to add some.
Joe- If you crunched all of the design hours down, I probably don't have a six-pack in it, dealing with unforseen obstacles is another story however. That was mostly a matter of running to town for more bolts or screws or something. I had a guy do the modification who liked designing this as much as I, so he helped a lot. The boat was at the shop for a month and then I worked on it here at home for maybe another 40 hrs but that wouldn't count for most people because part of that was putting on another axle, replacing a window and installing a new fishfinder too. I had to do some things that didn't have anything to do with the extension, running to town etc.. Total cost of the extension, probably about $3700. which would include the splashwell conversion.
I replaced the steering which would be a must for everybody, the fuel lines (maybe everybody), the boot around the control cables where it exits the stern (my old one was torn), the fuel selector switch (mine broke on disassembly), a couple of thru-hull fittings and 3' of hose for the new fishwell drain, a hatch cover for the swim step, an extension for the transom saver, and bunches of zip ties. I think thats it and if you were to incorporate a few of those "lessons learned" from the outset, you would probably have less time than I have in it.
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful job, Billy. Thanks for keeping all of us in the loop from beginning to end. And congratulations for the successful conclusion to all your hard work and a job well done!

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy-

Thanks for the reply!

I'm glad you detailed out the time and expenses so that others can see what is involved.

You did an awsome job with the extension and the time and money were well spent.

Thanks for sharing this information with the rest of us and particularly with anyone else planning such a project!

Joe.
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job!

Something all of us 4-strokers and heavy-aft boats should consider. As the designers of our pets will tell us - and have many times - our 22s were designed to handle a 70 h.p. 2-stroke and 2 18 gal. fuel tanks, and never, never trim tabs. Times have changed. Boy, have they!! My 22 Whaler Cuddy really changed it's personality for the better when they put a "Whaler Drive" hull extension on. More lift aft is need by our 22s too - huge 747-sized tabs like RF is one way - hull extension another - or for the smarter ones (Joe, you first) just stretch our 22s a couple of feet!!

Dusty

New Hampshire Guy
Dealer

City/Region: Meredith
State or Province: NH
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: New Hampshire Guy
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Was wondering what the new overall length might be ( I know there are many ways to measure, but what would be the "longest" your boat could be classified as from the back of the engines to the tip of the anchor). People with condos will need to know.

Also, for the C-BRATS, what should we call this?

I know the Fwd Facing seat is often called the "Barbers' Chair" for its inventor. Could this not be a "Billy Bracket" or a "Billy Beer...something" or "Beer Extension" "Green Machine" or a "Thirty Rig" ? Hull extension doesn't work for me anymore...
Anyone?

This could be a new string or even a poll question...
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Guy- I think "Billy Bracket" has a nice ring to it and is certainly well deserved for the first brave soul to challenge conventional wisdom (and overcome chicken hearted hesitation) and do the deed!

Dusty-I really don't need the extra two feet, but it would be really nice to get the 120 qt cooler up off the floor, which would add about 15" to the rear of the cockpit. I'm planning on making a bracket to fit it in the front of the motorwell this summer when the boat comes home from the marina after we take the pontoon boat up there for the summer.

Additionally, I keep getting the urge to go out and pick up one of those Alaskan Trader 24 mini-tugs with the gorgeous wood interiors, but can't do it without sacraficing the C-Dory, and the little tug just wouldn't be anywhere as good as a fishing boat.

Joe.

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy,

Awsome job! And thanks for outlining what you had to pay to get it done. If outboards weren't so expensive I might think about a bracket for my 27'. Halieghs Comet did that on theirs and it seems to work well for them.

Billy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again guys, thanks for all your kind words and the name suggestion. I'm flattered.
New Guy- fiberglass only length, stem to stern= 23' 2", add tilted motor and anchor assembly= another 4' and my tongue extends the length another 3' for an overall of 30' 2".
Dusty- you outlined exactly why I did this mod and even though it didn't extend the cockpit any, it feels like it because there is nothing cluttering up the deck. I might insulate the new fishwell to make it a better cooler but we don't really need it up here so much. A chunk of glacier would probably keep for most of a 3 day outing.
Joe- I followed your link to the Murphy tug. I'm with you, all that wood is sure nice but one boat is enough to keep me cashtrated and no way I'd get rid of the Beer:Thirty.

Bill
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, Dusty, and all-

Well, as long as we're discussing the various ways to accomplish the goals Dusty mentions above and the ones Bill mentioned earlier, here's a idea that borrows from both the hull extension idea and the trim tab school of thought.

Rather than go through the expense of fully extending the hull, including all the plumbing, controls, etc. why not build a set of very large three dimensional trim tabs that would supply extra bouyancy at rest and at displacement speeds, and work as trim tabs at planning speeds?

These would have to be large solid triangular forms, hinged to the boat at the bottom transom edge. They would be cut away enough on the surface that fits against the rear of the transom to allow sufficient retraction at speed to eliminate them as a lifting source in following seas. The top/aft facing surface could taper down towards the rear somewhat while still maintaining enough volume to supply the additional bouyancy desired when immersed at rest and slower speeds. Obvioul;y, the bottom edges serve as very large trim tabs.

Control would be hydraulic, using as many as three cylinders per side, and would probably require a single large pump on each side to port and starboard.

These could be fabricated of fiberglass over a wood core, but welded aluminum might well be simpler answer, employing a custom gas tank fabricator. The aluminum would need to be painted for aesthetic reasons.

The hinges would be subject to considerable strees, requiring a search of industrial as well as marine sources.

The top / aft surface could have steps built into it with a fold-down ladder to the rear. Lots of additional projects could be incorporated into their design. A motor mount for a small remotely controlled kicker might be possible for those not wanting the trolling motor on the transom.

Such a device wouldn't add the amount of volume that would be gained in a full hull extension, but, designed properly, would gain a lot of desired bouyancy and trim control without the full cost of a true hull extension.

???????............Joe.
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me, Joe -

Build a set and I'll come down for the demo Laughing Laughing -

there are hundreds of us running around with heavy boat butts (among other), and larger tabs, like RFs, would help a bunch.

There just isn't any turning back the clock and until they make light 4-strokes, many of us will just trim away and enjoy!

My, what a beautiful boating day up this-a-way. Just back in from a 30 mile trip and it couldn't be sweeter. Fish in the box would have been nice, but not necessary Wink

Dusty
Billy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,
You're a dreamer and I love it! I can imagine the books you read as a child. Of course there is another possible explanation, in which case I'd like to have two of what ever you're on. Either way, I could see us as fast friends! You've a great imagination and I look forward to many more of your ideas!

Bill
catdogcat

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Plankton
Photos: catdogcat - TBA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW what a ballsy project. Turned out great. The place that did the glasswork looks like they did an excellent job. Hope to see you out on the water this season. I would love to see it in person. If you ever make it down to Homer give me a ring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: