The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Hull extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy

City/Region: Chugiak
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Beer:thirty
Photos: Beer:Thirty
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,
Maybe going to bunks would be easier. Guys are having good luck with surfacing the bunks with that white plastic cutting board mat'l. Either way, sounds like a good sized project.

Bill
dogon dory

C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I worked hard today. The new transom and propulsion design is almost complete. Sea trials and pictures on Saturday!
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you going to test her at? I have to put some more hours on my new hull htis weekend. If you need someone to take some running shots let me know. Smile

Sark
Overload

City/Region: Leavenworth, WA-n-Hope, Alaska
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Lil' Brother
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy,

This is quite a project and a nice job! Lots of intestinal fortitude........I guess guts is the proper word. Sure hope it works out well, and if it does, there will probably be some followers.

The shop looked sorta familiar plus a major fiberglass job, so was wondering if Plaschem, in Anchortown was doing your work? Have known Floyd and Randy for many moons and know they do a lot of glass work on all types and sizes of boats.

Best of luck with the launch and test run!

Doug........still without a ride
Billy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,
I hadn't heard about the trapped sand on bunks. Good to know but wouldn't that also be true of carpet? Makes rollers seem like the thing to do.
Sark,
The more the merrier but the run up from Washington to Prince William Sound might be more time on your new hull than you planned. Weather doesn't look good for this weekend anyway.
Roger,
OK, time to give up the surprise. What'd you do?
Doug,
Plaschem was interested but in the end, too busy to take on any new work, I guess when you're good that's what happens.
All,
I'm going to need at least another week to get this together for sea trials and that would take flawless progress. Pesky job keeps getting in the way.
Axle addition almost done, then on to remounting engines.

Bill
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy- Too funny, I was actually talking to roger since he lives in the same area. Wish I could make it up there, but yeah that wouls be a looong run. Laughing

Sark
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sark,
I was looking at your pics and I see that you have a bracket for the kicker. I have been considering a kicker bracket. Does yours have a brand name and if so could you post it?

Thanks,
Steve
Billy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little update...
Been trying to do this between job and husbandly duties so progress has been slow, but here's the latest.
The new axle is on, fender mounts fabricated and paint drying on the fenders.
Both motors are mounted with the main now ready to go. Had to get a longer steering cable. Went to a local boat dealer and the cost of the cable I needed was $200. and a complete kit was $150. So now I've got a 19' complete system I don't need.
I am running all new fuel lines for both engines just because I didn't like where the pump bulbs were located. They'll be more conveinient now. Will be installing a new fuel tank selector switch since the original disintegrated when I removed it prior to the remodel.
New transducer installed just inboard of the Starboard trim tab, I got a new color fishfinder for Xmas. I think it will be OK there, time will tell.
Installed a drain line from the old splashwell outboard thru the hull extension. This will drain the new fishwell.
NOTE,NOTE, NOTE!!!!!! Had to raise the kicker because the distance between the steering attachment point and the new swim step (top) was not sufficient to fully tilt the kicker. I'm going to beef up the kicker attachment point to offset this problem but you folks thinking about this modification may want to allow for this.
Pretty much it for now, there are a couple more new pics but nothing too exciting.
Bill
New Hampshire Guy
Dealer

City/Region: Meredith
State or Province: NH
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: New Hampshire Guy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this whole thing is pretty exciting...

Please keep us posted as you can. We all know you're busy.

(Can you imagine if you could get a video of your test run... it would probably be the most watched thing on the C-Brats to date!)

Best of luck!
Billy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done enough to go out!!!! If the weather co-operates I'll be heading out the 18th and hope to catch the 10:30 tunnel but at the latest the 11:30 opening. Anyone wishing, who can get the day off is most welcome and I'd really like the company to help in the comparisons and maybe a few photos of other boats so I can evaluate the changes.
Did everything proposed in the previous post with no known problems, sea trials should bring those out. Did a temporary fix-it for the kicker mount but have a pretty good idea for the final solution.
Minor detail but may help someone out, had to extend the bilge pump hose and had to fabricate an extension for the transom saver. Neither was a big deal since I was lucky enough to have the mat'ls on hand.
Still have to fabricate the new oversized fuel tanks and a hatch cover for the new fishwell but I think that does it for this modification.
Since this modification was intended to offset the added weight of motors and fuel, I may put on a couple of 15 gallon barrels of extra fuel for simulation purposes.
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boy, one thing if nothing else that additon sure turned out looking sharp.. I'll bet it works as well as it looks, looking forward to reading about the results
tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy,

Can't make it on the 18th since I will be in the garden spot of Bethel and won't be back until Friday. Let me know if you have a backup day.

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
Billy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
No idea just when I'll be able to escape again. I have to wait for my bride to drop her guard. When she's not looking, I'm otta there. Could be a tough summer for boating though because she wants me to build her a house and I don't think I can get out of it. I'll let you know.

Billy
Billy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back from 200 miles of sea trials and I'm totally sold on this extension. My original reasons for doing this extension was because I kept adding more weight, and intended to add more. The Beer:Thirty began to feel like it was squatting at the stern and when pulling pots in heavier seas, I got a little splashing happening over the splashwell. Not anymore.
I loaded up the boat so that I could tell if this would really be what I wanted it to be. I had two guys and all of their food and gear for 4 days, 75 gallons of fuel, 5 gallons of water, shrimp pots, line, weights and buoys, and about 6 gallons of beer. No record, but a good average.
The extension felt like it restored the resting attitude of the original, lighter boat. It popped up on step at 11 to 13 MPH and cruised all day long at 21 MPH and 4 MPG. Turns felt a little more crisp and there was a lot of comfort in the enclosed splashwell. I didn't notice any adverse changes as we lost weight to consumed fuel, water and beer.
The room this modification produced is worth it all by itself. Besides providing a large work top area, I didn't need an ice chest and there was still plenty of room for fish and 4 days worth of garbage (in a trash bag of course).
I didn't get a chance to try it out in a following sea since it was so nice out there, but the feel of the boat leaves me with the feeling that it won't be a problem.
I also didn't get any running shots since we had the whole Sound to ourselves.
I think I've already posted the things I would do differently and I didn't find anything new I'd change on this trip.
I'd do it again, in a heart beat.

Billy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: