The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Great Loop 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that if you want the full features of Nebo you need to buy the device. I have one on my boat. It works great. Emails you a log report each day. The unit has GPS and a cellular node. It communicates via Verizon in the US. The unit can only send reports and position when it has a cell connection, but the unit still records data when out of cell range for later transmission. The unit lists for $149, but AGLCA members can get a discount. There are other discounts and promotions from time to time. The cell connection is $12/mo and can be activated and suspended when you want, although the minimum connection appears to be one month. I turn my connection off for the off season.

The unit is supposed to start recording when it detects a certain amount of movement. This works fine for slipped boats. For trailer boats the unit can be connected to the ignition circuit of the engine so that it only records when the engine is on (prevents recording of boat movements when on the trailer).

The only complaint I have about Nebo is that almost everything is done through the app. You can only manage your account (i.e. pay for things) via the website. I wish that all the features of the app where available via a web portal.

If you have any questions about Nebo you can contact them via their website. They are quite responsive to queries.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concur with ssobol and getting the NEBO TRACKER for $89 from AGLCA. Connect it to your 12v+ tach bolt to turn it on/off with your engine. Subscription is $11/mo, start and suspend on line.

Tech support is FANTASITIC, often from the Aussie owner himself, Steve Winter.

For now download the free smartphone app to see where the fleet is (free text msg any of them).

PM bob Austin on your travels, they are the most gracious and generous hosts on the Loop. (We downsized to a tiny retirement house but will help any way we can).

Safe Travels,
John

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Loop 2023 Reply with quote

KFoote wrote:
I am getting ready to travel the Great Loop beginning mid May as soon as the channel opens.Follow along as I begin to prepare for the great adventure! The biggest question I have right now is how do I carry enough fuel to cover 220 miles?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-P9t3M6gYb-p0V75YPuPBQ

We did the Loop in 2017, starting in La Belle, FL, on April 1, 2017, and crossing our wake September 13, 2017, back in La Belle. I blogged every day. The link to my blog is in my signature.

We were a little worried about the run from Hoppies to Green Turtle Bay, but it turned out we did not need to be. We have a CD25 with a 100 gallon fuel tank and had a Honda 150 (now Suzi 200). We fueled once in the Diversion Channel at Cape Girardeax. If you go up to the boat ramp under the freeway bridge, climb up to the road and go left, there is a gas station very close. I made three trips with a 5 gallon gas can and got 15 gallons.

Now there is fuel in Paducah, so it is a shorter run. We were in Alton, IL, September 12, at Hoppies on September 13, the Diversion Channel at Cape Girardeaux on September 15, and Paducah on September 17 - we stayed at the dock in Paducah but the fuel dock was not yet open yet. You will no doubt have several 5 gallon gas cans, kept full from Alton on, and you should be fine.You will get a tremendous push from the current going downstream on the Mississippi. It is upstream on the Ohio and Cumberland, but fueling in Paducah will make this a lot easier.

BTW, be sure to connect with Dr. Bob and Marie Austin in Pensacola and Marc Grove (Wefings Marine) in Appalachicola!

We crossed the Gulf from Appalachicola to Steinhatchee about 75 miles on October 1, 2017. This crossing lets you enjoy the best of the west coast of Florida. We loved Cedar Key, but Tarpon Springs was very cool too!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the app on my smart phone for free. Also sends me the daily reports. Just have to remember to start it each day. Not sure how much data is used but I’m thinking probably not much.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe that if you want the full features of Nebo you need to buy the device.

I believe you use the same Nebo App rather you do it on your smartphone or with their NeboLink. In fact, if you go to their website, https://nebo.global/, it actually shows most features being demonstrated on a smartphone. It looks like their device, the NeboLink is just a transmitter to use instead of your smartphone, for transmitting your location and past track. The only reasons I can see for paying for the Nebolink and a subscription, is if you don't want to use your smart phone for location transmission (use of data and battery power, but how much data is used? And most of us have phone chargers on our boat), or if you desire to use the Nebolink for tracking your stolen boat when your cell phone is in your possession, not on the boat. (Assuming the Nebolink is on and working).
Colby
KFoote

City/Region: East Bridgewater
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Foote Loose
Photos: Foote's Rest
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Planning on Crusing the Great Loop Reply with quote

Thataway

Thanks for the insights regarding crossing the Gulf.
I appreciate your observations

ssobol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Quote:
I believe that if you want the full features of Nebo you need to buy the device.

I believe you use the same Nebo App rather you do it on your smartphone or with their NeboLink. In fact, if you go to their website, https://nebo.global/, it actually shows most features being demonstrated on a smartphone. It looks like their device, the NeboLink is just a transmitter to use instead of your smartphone, for transmitting your location and past track. The only reasons I can see for paying for the Nebolink and a subscription, is if you don't want to use your smart phone for location transmission (use of data and battery power, but how much data is used? And most of us have phone chargers on our boat), or if you desire to use the Nebolink for tracking your stolen boat when your cell phone is in your possession, not on the boat. (Assuming the Nebolink is on and working).
Colby

Could be. I like the device because it works without me thinking about it.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith,

Note that Pat’s Daydream blog has over 204,000 hits! Your challenge is now cut out for you. ( I like to think I bumped it up some because I linked to it in an article we wrote on the AGLCA website on Segment Looping in a Trailer Boat).

The toughest issue facing trailer boats on the Loop is NOT getting gas on the long sections, but rough seas/weather. The average 45 foot boat can tolerate much more slop (say, less than SCA conditions but still slow and uncomfortable in a CD22). But in calm conditions you’re way faster and economical to run on a flatter Dory hull!

Therefore you need to allocate MANY more weather days to your trip than large boats do. Many normal folks would not want to ‘camp out’ on a CD22 for six months or more. One option to consider is leaving the boat at a rack n stack for the winter and fly back home to continue next year. That could still be way cheaper than being on a large boat.

The AGLCA convention is to ‘follow the seasons’ including overwintering in South Florida or the Keys. Forget going to the Dry Tortugas (70 miles west of Key West) in a CD22 or the Bahamas in winter when we have an arctic blast come through every 7-10 days (say mid Nov to mid Mar) including the Gulf Crossing, when North winds against the North running Gulf Stream form giant standing waves.

I see from your AGLCA post that you intend to re-locate to the Boston area, and start from there into the NY canal system when it opens, often in mid May.

Instead, we would urge you to consider starting your Loop west of Carrabelle in April. (If you need to get back to your rig due to an unforeseen emergency on your Loop, it’s much cheaper to do so if your rig is near a major airport rather than, say, getting back to Appalachicola). You don’t need to be sitting on the beach from Nov to Mar like the rest of us. You could still be on the Chesapeake by May or June and won’t be worrying about crossing the Gulf in Dec. And you might get by without air conditioning with good fans.

We concur with many others who believe the Triangle Loop and Trent-Severn Waterway to Georgian Bay in Canada is some of the best cruising on the Loop. However, some of their locks require a crew of two (ex Chambly canal leading to Lake Champlain and others). I don’t see any safety reason for the requirement, it’s a French flair thing. Plan ahead and make it happen (Harbor Hosts may be able to help with this or know volunteers who would crew for you).

If you ‘boaterhome’ at RV parks on the way out, you need to convert the gray water overboard D/C (sink or shower) to connect to a hose into a 5g bucket (ie, don’t drain RV gray water onto an RV pad).

Having shorepower available on the boat is invaluable so a smart battery charger can top off the batteries better than the engine. Simple meals can be done on an induction skillet and/or toaster oven. This one allows you to limit the wattage to 600/900 or 1200 watts, which is handy for load management.
https://www.nuwavenow.com/shop/pic-gold

Also get a load management meter for watts, amps and voltage:

https://www.amazon.com/Poniie-PN1500-Electricity-Electrical-Consumption/dp/B07VPTN8FZ/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_w=bHPGi&content-id=amzn1.sym.116f529c-aa4d-4763-b2b6-4d614ec7dc00&pf_rd_p=116f529c-aa4d-4763-b2b6-4d614ec7dc00&pf_rd_r=S63HAKR3JVK4HH6H8J56&pd_rd_wg=EVtqY&pd_rd_r=c38465fd-56d3-4731-b0c0-c0a02686e200&pd_rd_i=B07VPTN8FZ&psc=1

We require a coffee maker and toaster. In a heat wave you can go buy a $100 WalMart window AC. Convert to a Smartplug inlet when on sale (the plastic inlet cover is way cheaper).

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/smartplug-30a-125v-boatside-shore-power-inlet-and-connector-set-w-ss-cover/b30assynt

You’ll read about how you can’t legally transmit on your VHF (including send/receive AIS units) outside the US (including Canada, Bahamas, Mexico) without the FCC licenses rather than a free MMSI from BoatUS. Trying to change an MMSI after it’s already been programmed into the radio requires sending the devices back to the factory; and I’m not doing that for base VHF, AIS and three handhelds (two in the ditch bag). If you’re buying new, consider going the FCC route, about $250 or so. When you cross the border, remember to change all your radios to the CAN rather than the US bands.

Go ahead and buy and fly your white ‘en route’ AGLCA burgee. (My advice, not official AGLA policy). When other boaters ask you if you are on your loop, you can reply

1 “No, I’m getting used to running my boat in my home waters. So tell me about your Loop” or

2 “Oh yes! If it’s Tuesday, this must be the Alabama River!” or

3 “I think so, but I may have taken a wrong turn at the Panama Canal.” or

4 “ I never thought the NY canals would be as rough as the PNW, am I lost?”

Or make up your own!

Hope this is helpful!

Cheers!

John
KFoote

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:34 pm    Post subject: Planning on Crusing the Great Loop Reply with quote

Hi John,
Wow thanks for all the observations. This means a great deal to me.

One of the reason’s I am relocating to the Boston area is to live by my oldest son, who lives outside Boston. On launch day, he is planning to come with me than drive the truck and trailer back to its storage area. So my rig would be accessible to major airports.

At this point I have not been spending time figuring out days of travel, stops and “floating” target dates. The only time frame I currently have is, with stops and touring, it takes about 5 -6 days to traverse the Erie Canal. My priorities have been prepping the boat and gathering information.

My untrained and uninformed mind was thinking beginning at Hudson NY, I could complete the loop by the end of September. That puts me through the south during the heat of the summer. When I googled ”Carrabelle” it shows it is in Florida? If I “boaterhomed” to Florida and left from Carrabelle Fl. In April, what would be a realistic destination to break the loop up into 2 segments? If I started from Carrabella Fl and did not complete the loop I would need to fly back to Carrabella, and pull my empty trailer to where ever I stopped. Hmmm

Maybe I need to be thinking of a place to stop for the season where I could leave my boat at a rack n stack. Than fly back to Boston.

Are you thinking that by starting in May I would not be able to complete the loop by the end of September. Due to the fact that there will be many weather days where I will need to sit.
For power I do have hook up for 110 power. I also have a charger plus one of those emergency recharging stations. I am also considering getting the small Honda generator.

I already have my AGLCA burgee Very Happy

Oh, my cousin Jack is planning to be with me during my trip around the gulf and Florida. He had mentioned going the Bahamas. I nixed that right away. The type of water I would need to cross, did not excite me. I have been in some 4 and 5 foot waves up here in the PNW and it was NO FUN.
KFoote

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:42 pm    Post subject: Planning on Crusing the Great Loop Reply with quote

Colby,

I found the message you sent me.

Yep "Foote Loose" is currently parked on her trailer next to my house.
Nice - snug - and Dry in her covered area.

It's tracking my phone which was in my pocket.

Very nice.

I looked at it a little bit more today. I still need to learn more about it. I like the idea of it running only when the boat is on. I am going to go with that option. I boat solo a lot. This would be a great addition to include with my float plans.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The only time frame I currently have is, with stops and touring, it takes about 5 -6 days to traverse the Erie Canal.

I hope you meant 15-16 days. We just spent 20 days on just the western half between Syracuse and Buffalo. Yes that was going both ways and spending some time touring towns. We only traveled at hull speed of around 5 mph which is pretty much the required no wake speed in much of the canal. You probably could do it in 5-6 days, but I suggest they’ll be long days with very little touring of the towns! (Many places it has posted speed limits of 10 mph but also say no wake. In a C-Dory we are probably making our biggest wake at 10 mph. Personally I would plan for a minimum of 10 days and more if you really want to see some of the historic locks and museums!)
KFoote

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:09 pm    Post subject: Planning on Crusing the Great Loop Reply with quote

Hey

Thanks for all the input on Nebo !

I think I will begin playing with the free version to see if it meets my needs.

Managing our cash flow is important !

May all your seas be calm
Keith
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worse thing to have on the loop is a schedule. As for "weather days"--there are a few areas where this may be an issue. But generally there are a lot of ICW, rivers and narrow waterways, where you can run easily even if bad weather.

Take your time and enjoy the trip, It is not a "bucket list" where you have to do the Loop in 60 days or less....It is the small towns which have all of the flavor.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
KFoote

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:22 pm    Post subject: Planning on Crusing the Great Loop Reply with quote

Pat and Patty,

Thanks for the information. I looked up Diversion Channel at Cape Girardeax. I was able to see the boat ramp, truck stop and possible anchoring spots.

I'll pull you blog up as well to study it.

Thanks for your help.

May All Your Seas Be Calm
Keith
ssobol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Planning on Crusing the Great Loop Reply with quote

KFoote wrote:
... The only time frame I currently have is, with stops and touring, it takes about 5 -6 days to traverse the Erie Canal. My priorities have been prepping the boat and gathering information. ...

Just FWIW, we did part of the Erie canal between Baldwinsville and Rochester including Cayuga and Seneca Lakes. Yes it was round trip, but it took us 3 weeks.

If you are doing the whole Erie Canal in 5-6 days, allowing for the low speed zones (most of it) and the locks, you are just driving through.

IMO, doing the GL is not a race. Other people have already done that. I think the record is something like 30 days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: