View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:40 am    Post subject: New high (low?) for C-Dorys? Reply with quote

I noticed this weekend that someone posted a 1983 C-Dory, with a 2014 70 HP Yamaha, for sale for 35K. I don't think I've ever seen a C-Dory that old, even with a newer engine (it would almost have to be), listed for that kind of price. Seems crazy to me. A brand new Yamaha 70 hp can be had for 10K. So that means 25k just for the 40 year old, 22 foot boat itself.

I don't know what I would think if it sold for that. Happy that I already have a boat? Sad that even the very oldest of the C-Dory's are becoming unaffordable?
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best time to buy a C-Dory was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. Love that old saying as it applies to C-Dory boats as well.
Wood Zeppelin

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they actually going up in value?

And if so, will that continue in a recession? (I don't think so).

Current boats:

1997 22' Angler - "C-Creature"
1988 16' Angler - "E-fishn-C" (Project boat)
1997 16' Cruiser - "Wet-a-Net"

Also:
14.5' Drift Boat - "Wood Zeppelin"
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ar the 2011 Toronto boat show I could have bought a brand new non current 2009 22ft angler with a 75 Yamaha for $35,000.00 CAD. The salesman was even willing to throw in a used trailer with it. In hindsight I could have used it for the last 11 years and still sold it for what I paid or more.

Link to the sales flyer in my album -

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2776&id=IMG_2526&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Regards,

Rob

Schuster

City/Region: Port Orchard
Vessel Name: Sea Witch
Photos: Sea Witch
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple of thoughts on the matter as I was in the market for a boat two years ago. First: All you have to do is look at the prices of all the other brands, they are all going up like gang busters which makes the Cdory not look so bad. The other aspect to that is that Cdorys hold their value for various reasons including being well made and being very practical and affordable to use and being a trailerable cruiser package. Second: The fact that Cdorys maintain their value is a good reason to choose this brand as an investment that will give a return at the point when you are not using your boat any longer.
I believe a lot of the reason for the price going up is inflation, but that's a whole other topic. I'll go with Gary's thinking, the best time to buy a Cdory was 20 years ago or now.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know C-Dorys are worth something when random people walk up and ask if you're interested in selling yours and if you're not currently interested, please let them know when you are.
johnr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that C-Dorys are desireable and that there is inflation, but this seems beyond the pale to me. A quick look at what's for sale, and has been for sale, on this site and one can find much better deals on much newer boats. For example:

"2003 C Dory 22 for sale asking $25K. Has 2020 LoadRite tandem axel trailer with breaks. New 2018 Honda BF-75 Hp Engine with new Tach and hour meter low hours. Trim tabs, cabin stove and heater, VHS radio. Custom rod holder. Dual batteries. Hull and cabin in good condition. Stored indoors."
Wood Zeppelin

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnr wrote:
I understand that C-Dorys are desireable and that there is inflation, but this seems beyond the pale to me. A quick look at what's for sale, and has been for sale, on this site and one can find much better deals on much newer boats. For example:

"2003 C Dory 22 for sale asking $25K. Has 2020 LoadRite tandem axel trailer with breaks. New 2018 Honda BF-75 Hp Engine with new Tach and hour meter low hours. Trim tabs, cabin stove and heater, VHS radio. Custom rod holder. Dual batteries. Hull and cabin in good condition. Stored indoors."

That seems incredibly low. Perhaps one of the best deals ever, but not the norm. I have also seen 16's in great condition selling in the low 20's..
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, interesting, but explainable. Usually we think of boats and cars depreciating, and land and houses appreciating over time. No one would question an increase if this was a house. The key seems to be supply-and-demand as well as how the quality of the boat holds up over time. Demand for these boats is high, supply is low, and if well-maintained these boats keep their high quality. A comparison was made with a price in 2011. Suppose that the boat is in truly excellent condition, maybe parked in a garage, little used, or lovingly maintained. Given that a 2022 dollar is worth $0.74 2011 dollars, a current $35K price is actually the same as $26K in 2011. Give us a few more years with current inflation rates, and I predict that the dollar cost of these boats will increase even more.
johnr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess I'm the only one taken aback by the asking price. As a recent owner of a 1982 C-dory, I've watched the market carefully over the years and have never seen one of that vintage offered for near that price. Those boats have no gas tanks, no shore-power, no sink, no fridge, no stove, no water tank, and no plumbing. They are a fiberglass shell. You can't stand up right in them if you are over 5' 9" and the dinette does not convert into a bed. They are quirky and outdated. No matter how great C-Dory's are, I think there are much better deals to be had for that kind of money.
Vancouver25

City/Region: Dana Point
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Regional Bias? Reply with quote

The boat you reference is in SoCal. Another 22 (in nice condition) was just listed for $65k...also in SoCal, which seems rather pricey compared to other recent offerings on this site. I think there's a premium/markup in some locations compared to other parts of the country. At least, since I've been watching, there have been some much better deals if you are willing to drive across the country. Of course, that great "deal" is not so great if it costs too much to get it moved.
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look on Craigslist in the same area for 20-25 foot boats with an outboard and a locking cabin door. You will very few out there. I agree the price is high especially if it has a single axle, basic electronics and is not in mint condition but if the opposite is true, great well maintained dual axle trailer, electronics with radar and you want a locking cabin boat it might look ok.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember, recreational dollars spent is not "real money".

You deserve to get what you want since you've earned it.

Everyone else has one, so I can too.

The Trust Fund is paying for it so it doesn't really cost me anything.

Certain things are necessary in order to relax properly.

Getting what I want makes others think I am successful.

Getting what I want makes me feel important.

The guy who lives longest and has the most toys, wins.

And on and on ad nauseam.

Aye.
Grandma used to say, "Most live in illusion."

txmntman

City/Region: GEORGETOWN
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Saint Somewhere
Photos: Saint Somewhere
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that post as well. I try to make a habit of never commenting on another’s asking price. If I am not interested, I move on. If they can get the asking price, good for them. If they can’t, they will likely adjust the price to where they can sell it. It will self adjust. My opinion doesn’t matter unless I am in on the sale….just a thought…
Boston Whaler Montauk "Joe Bob" Sold
Hobie Cat "Mikey Likes It" Sold
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaelc wrote:
Take a look on Craigslist in the same area for 20-25 foot boats with an outboard and a locking cabin door. You will very few out there. I agree the price is high especially if it has a single axle, basic electronics and is not in mint condition but if the opposite is true, great well maintained dual axle trailer, electronics with radar and you want a locking cabin boat it might look ok.

Yes - I know the asking price may seem high, but C-Hawk is a well maintained boat with all digital electronics, brand new tandem axle trailer, full canvas much more.
It is available to show and I will take any serious buyer for a ride.

Thank you

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: