Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cptvic

City/Region: Quarryville
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: c-pearl
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Anchor chain Reply with quote

We bought our dory from cutter marine in 2006. Our rode is all chain. Noticing just this season between 20-25' it is rusting. The rest seems fine. Any suggestions...cut 30' off ..can it be recoated..??? They told us the rode should be all chain for bow weight.
Not sure what size chain it is. We have been out in some crazy conditions but our anchor always held us. To replace the whole thing I'm guessing would be quite an investment. Anyone else have issues or advice.tia
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163856467737
I replaced mine with stainless chain a couple of years ago and have been very satisfied. It doesn't rust, doesn't tangle and bunch up in the locker, and doesn't cut our dry gloves while diving.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Anchor chain Reply with quote

cptvic wrote:
We bought our dory from cutter marine in 2006. Our rode is all chain. Noticing just this season between 20-25' it is rusting. The rest seems fine. Any suggestions...cut 30' off ..can it be recoated..??? They told us the rode should be all chain for bow weight.
Not sure what size chain it is. We have been out in some crazy conditions but our anchor always held us. To replace the whole thing I'm guessing would be quite an investment. Anyone else have issues or advice.tia

How long is your rode? While having all chain rode to get weight in the bow can be beneficial, I don't recall anyone saying "the rode should be all chain for bow weight". Who told you that?

My rode is about 40' of chain and 150' of 3 strand nylon. Works fine, but I also have trim tabs. With tabs you can adjust the pitch of the boat on the fly. With a chain rode, the weight is in the bow and you can't readily change that if you needed to adjust the trim.

As for the rust. Is it real rust or just surface rust. If it is just surface rust, I'd wipe it off and may paint the chain or apply some oil to it to retard the rate at which the rust reappears.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a 22 C-Dory, 35' to 40' of high test chain followed by 150' to 200' of rode should be enough. I agree with an earlier post, too much chain in the bow reduces the effiency of the trim tabs. Another benefit is........if the windlass should fail, pulling up 40' of chain by hand is a darn site easier than pulling up 200' by hand.

Martin.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler Marine was a dealer who sold most (?All?) of the boats with 100'. My first 2003 C Dory 25 was one such boat. There is a disadvantage of the weight forward, which does give a slightly better ride into chop--and that is that you have more difficulty brining the bow up when going down wind and waves. This can risk bow steering and broaching.

A better way is to uee the Permatrim and Trim Tabs for bow down trim, and 25 to 50' of chain.

The chain on my boat was 1/4" coil proof chain. One needs G4 to fit most chain gypsies in our size boats. I replaced it with 300' of 3 strand, and 50' of G4 1/4" chain.

Chain is easily galvanized. It is probably not worth while for 1/4", but 5/16 to 1/2? is easily galvanized. The chain is dipped in acid to remove rust and any contaminate. The hot dip galvanizing puts a significantly thicker coat on that from the "Factory"--which is a running dip, instead of the full drip and then cooling on racks. The disadvantage is that usually 300# is the minimum lot for galvanizing (at least in our area). Also many times the galvanizing is thick enough that it has to be broken up with shaking, dropping or hitting with a hammer. I find secondly galvanizing lasts 2 to 3 x as long as the "factory" galvanizing.

There have been some reports of Chinese SS chain breaking links. Any chain in SS should be 316 alloy. I think that our use of the SS is OK because of the way our boats are used. The SS of course is pricey!.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size chain is standard?
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I appreciate the ease of galvanizing a chain. My problem is finding someone who will do it. Here in So Cal, I've found that it's cheaper to buy new chain. Some galvanizers send me to a place in Mexico.

So, and I hope you have a list, is there a place who will re-galvanize a chain and what does it cost? Any in So Cal? I'm getting ready to buy new chain and if re-galvanizing it would be cheaper I'd love to do it. And please, I need a So Cal place; Florida would be nice for reference though.

Boris
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris,
We use AZZ Galvanizing in Cetronell, Al. That is about an hours drive from our house. They will be in the $0.40 a pound currently for hot dip galvanizing, with acid dip first and shaking the chain after the dip.

AZZ Galvanizing - Arizona
15775 Elwood St., Goodyear, AZ 85338, United States

This is just off US Hwy 10 and West of Phoenix. A half a day's drive each way...(We often go US Hwy 8 and then up from Gila Bend to get to Highway 10.

Standard chain for the Lawrence Windlass that about 90% of the C Dorys use is Grade 4 (Grade 40 and 43 are minor subvarients) 1/4" chain. BBB is shortest link, intermediate is G4, and longest is coil proof.

E Rigging sells a 316 SS Anchor windlass chain which is G43, and will fit the Lewmar gypsy for $8.06 a foot. They sell Trident G40 Galvanized chain for $3.13 a foot. I try and buy Acco chain because it is made in the USA. Defender has it for $2.80. It will weigh in the 0.73# per foot, so shipping has to be factored in. I do my own splices, but Defender will do custom chain and rode (8 plait if desired) splices as a package.
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.atlasgalv.com/
This is in Vernon.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you, Bob and PC101. I'll contact the one in Vernon this winter and see what it costs.

Boris
Yosef

City/Region: Eastern Washington (state)
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Heron
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it's ok to piggyback on this thread:

1988 22 Cruiser

I'd like to add chain to the rode. What's a good way to connect two chain ends so that it'll still run through the windlass?

Do these work & hold like a regular link:?

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Connecting-Marine-Connector/dp/B07DPWC3KK/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3OM0D2SUSYOC0&keywords=1%2F4+g4+chain+connecting+link&qid=1666482972&sprefix=1%2F4+g4+chain+connecting+link%2Caps%2C191&sr=8-2

Also, the boat runs very bow high. So high my 5'5" wife has trouble seeing out front sitting at the table. Would 100' of 1/4" G4 galvanized drop the bow a significant amount? She's got an '04 (heavy) zook 90, 15 kicker, golf cart & starter batteries in/on the transom & other than the 14lb Delta, 30' chain & rope, and windlass, the bow's empty.
ssobol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yosef wrote:
... Also, the boat runs very bow high. So high my 5'5" wife has trouble seeing out front sitting at the table. Would 100' of 1/4" G4 galvanized drop the bow a significant amount? She's got an '04 (heavy) zook 90, 15 kicker, golf cart & starter batteries in/on the transom & other than the 14lb Delta, 30' chain & rope, and windlass, the bow's empty.

Need to move some of that stuff forward. The golf cart batteries are probably the worst offender. Have you got trim tabs or Permatrim? Those will help, but even they have their limits.
Yosef

City/Region: Eastern Washington (state)
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Heron
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
Need to move some of that stuff forward. The golf cart batteries are probably the worst offender.

Yep

ssobol wrote:
Have you got trim tabs or Permatrim? Those will help, but even they have their limits.

Have Permatrim - At full trim down, she'll push the bow down a bit, and just a bit, and right at the end of the trim travel.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is better to achieve trim with both Permatrim and trim tabs, than permanently place heavy objects forward. Permanent weight forward can cause "bow steering" and / or broaching when running down wind and seas.

Golf cart batteries should not be in the cabin, unless they are AGM. Flooded lead acid (FLA) batteries will give off explosive gas, and are a hazard in the cabin.
ssobol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why you would need golf cart batteries on a CD22. Yes, they are more robust, but the loads on most CD22s aren't that great and golf cart batteries are very heavy. Mine has the fridge and usual electronics and LED lighting all around, and I manage well on a single group 24 battery for the house. There is a second G24 battery as reserve that sometimes is used to start the motor if the house is low. Most of the time my boat is run on one G24 battery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: