The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

08/06 - 08/12 - 18th Annual Catalina Off-shore Adventure
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Gibson

City/Region: Sacramento
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pounder
Photos: Pounder
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 11:34 pm    Post subject: 08/06 - 08/12 - 18th Annual Catalina Off-shore Adventure
From 06 Aug 2023 to 12 Aug 2023 (included)

The 18th Annual Catalina Off-shore Adventure is hereby scheduled from Sunday, August 6, 2023 to Saturday, August 12, 2023. Please mark your calendars.

Please see 2022 for details from the 17th Annual Off-shore Adventure. Now is the rare chance to get onboard to this historic 2023 Off-shore Adventure. As I am getting a little long in the tooth, I never know when it will be my last event.

Please indicate your 2023 attendance on this thread. All C-Dory’s are invited. Unlike our Delta and Bay Extravaganza, there is no boat limit for this C-dory event. Also, you do not have to stay the entire time at this event, as you can drop-in, or drop-out, of some of the days, if you want.

Kath and I will arrive at Marina Del Ray Sunday late afternoon, August 6, 2023, coming from Sacramento. We will then proceed to Two Harbors Monday, August 7, 2023, leaving at 7:00 AM. Some of us will return from Two Harbors to MDR on Saturday morning, August 12, 2023, again leaving Two Harbors at 7:00 AM.

This is a fun event. It gives the C-Dory owner the chance to safely go off-shore 22 miles from Marina del Ray to Two Harbors. This is probably the only off-shore adventure listed on this site. But you do need to have a tender to fully enjoy this cruise.

Activities will be posted later.

Added to Calendar

Signup list

-TyBoo

Bluechablis

City/Region: Redondo Beach
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Far C'r
Photos: Far C'r
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to it! Will be there. I noticed that you posted this in "Outboards and Systems", you might want to put the post in another forum to get more eyes.

Thanks for this long tradition of adventures with Pounder

Far C'r - 2001 Cdory 22
Bluechablis - 1992 NorSea 27
Quarter Note - 1972 Cris Craft Sloop
Palantir - 1971 31 Mariner Ketch (Far Seer in Elvish)
Aphrodite - 42 Ft Schooner Jay Benford Design
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been on my calendar for a while now! Smile I'll be arriving solo for this event. (Rosanne will join me after the event as we possibly spend some time in San Diego, and then at my folks in Goodyear, AZ, on the way home.) Jim, can you give a little more information as far as launching and parking at Marina Del Rey? Perhaps even the best highway routing coming in from the east? Looking forward to this trip, one I've wanted to do for several years. I'm still in the San Juans in the PNW, but will be heading home via seeing the Medora Musical in Medora, ND, in another week. And yes, that'll be another trip this year towing C-Traveler round trip out west! Colby
P.s. I still have a CD-25 full cover for sale if anyone is interested. (I can save you shipping costs by bringing it along if anyone interested.)
P.s.s. Perhaps Tyboo can put up a sign up for this one.

BTW, here is the link to last year. http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=30732
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluechablis wrote:
I noticed that you posted this in "Outboards and Systems", you might want to put the post in another forum to get more eyes.

Moved it to the Cruises and Events forum and also set up the signup as Colby suggested and altered the title slightly to get it to sync with the front page announcements.

Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby.

We take Interstate 5 South, to 405 South, to 90 West, to Highway 1 South, to Fiji Way West. Go down Fiji Way until you see the sign for Launch Ramp on the right. Bring your credit card and buy enough days parking for the days out. We buy 7 days parking.

After you launch you can park in the big lot for the duration. Be sure to tape your parking tickets inside your window. You can get parking violation tickets.

After you launch you head out and pick a slip on the right of the fairway. Then you go into office and tell them your slip number and pay for one overnight at MDR.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Bob rightfully reminded me that it is 36 miles from MDR to Two Harbors, not the 22 miles I mentioned. I said I was getting little long in the tooth and I get sloppy sometimes.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Gibson wrote:
Colby.

We take Interstate 5 South, to 405 South, to 90 West, to Highway 1 South, to Fiji Way West. Go down Fiji Way until you see the sign for Launch Ramp on the right. Bring your credit card and buy enough days parking for the days out. We buy 7 days parking.

After you launch you can park in the big lot for the duration. Be sure to tape your parking tickets inside your window. You can get parking violation tickets.

After you launch you head out and pick a slip on the right of the fairway. Then you go into office and tell them your slip number and pay for one overnight at MDR.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Bob rightfully reminded me that it is 36 miles from MDR to Two Harbors, not the 22 miles I mentioned. I said I was getting little long in the tooth and I get sloppy sometimes.

Thanks Jim. Bob also sent me a PM with directions. Very close to the same you gave. Parking sounds a bit pricey. I guess that's why I don't boat in California much. lol. (I thought Rio Vista was more of the going rate!) I don' think I'll plan on pulling into MDR any earlier than that Sunday. Maybe plan to arrive somewhere within 200 miles of LA a day or two earlier, and stage there until Sunday. Colby
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year, the MDR slip people required proof of boat insurance as well. All you need is your Declaration Page, either printed or as a pdf accessible on your phone.
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
P.s. I still have a CD-25 full cover for sale if anyone is interested. (I can save you shipping costs by bringing it along if anyone interested.)

Cover is sold! Smile Colby
sean92056

City/Region: OCEANSIDE
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: NautiCat
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject: NautiCat Planning to Attend Reply with quote

Sean & Maddy in NautiCat from Oceanside CA plan to attend at least part of this event. The more time I can get off work the longer we will stay. Look forward to finally meeting fellow C Dory owners.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my week after the Catalina event, I'm looking at possibly launching and staying at Dana Point. Looking at the map, that actually looks a bit closer to Catalina Island. Two questions. How would it be to cross over from Dana Point, or, what's the feasibility of cruising up to Marina Del Rey from Dana Point to join with others making the crossing from MDR? Or does anyone have any other suggestions of places to launch from in San Diego where the rig can be left for a week (5 or 6 days). The one very large launch facility in San Diego is restricted to only 3 days. Thanks. Colby
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shortest distance to Two Harbors is from Cabrillo Beach.
https://sanpedro.com/la-waterfront/cabrillo-beach-boat-launch-ramp/

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
For my week after the Catalina event, I'm looking at possibly launching and staying at Dana Point. Looking at the map, that actually looks a bit closer to Catalina Island. Two questions. How would it be to cross over from Dana Point, or, what's the feasibility of cruising up to Marina Del Rey from Dana Point to join with others making the crossing from MDR? Or does anyone have any other suggestions of places to launch from in San Diego where the rig can be left for a week (5 or 6 days). The one very large launch facility in San Diego is restricted to only 3 days. Thanks. Colby

My son's C Dory 25 is in a slip in Dana Point and I have been going there long before there was a breakwater or marina. Dana Point to Twin Harbors is 46 miles
Huntington Harbor is 30 miles. Marina del Rey to Twin Harbors is 36 miles. San Diego is about 95 miles. Hunting Harbor to MDR is about 36 miles. Back in 1962 to 1967, I was working at UCLA, kept my 29' sailboat in MDR or King Harbor, and would sail to Long Beach on Friday Night, Race Saturday and Sunday and then on Sunday evening sail back to MDR. (Known as the crazy doctor who had passion for sailing. No one in their right mind would do this much sailing just to race.)

I would launch at Huntington Harbor. (Sunset Aquetic Marine Park) Secure parking lot, same distance as from Long Beach. You want to be on the way to Catalina by 9 to 10 AM. The Breeze starts picking up at about 11 AM.

You could cruise up from H H to Marina del Rey, but a longer distance to Catalina. That is where I launch in S. Calif. You can start by going to Avalon, despite the tourists it is still sort of a nice place. stop in a few coves on the way up or down Catalina. Get on the String line at the Isthmus before Friday night and make it a week, and I believe there is a discount. The Isthmus is still a great place. I have some photos of it back near the turn of the century (1900) with my grandfather's boat an anchor there. I have spent many a holiday there well before it was "populated". It used to be a great place on New Years eve. You just had to watch your drink to prevent palmetto bugs, from the thatched roof, from falling into the glass. There are a number of good hikes from there. After the gathering take a day or so and hit the coves to the West of the Isthmus (Two Harbors).

If you launch at San Diego, it is a long way to Catalina! If you have retired military prevlidges then San Diego Bay MCRD Boat House (Military Only): 131 Neville Rd, San Diego, CA 92140

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,
Thanks for all the info. I still plan to head over to Two Harbors with the rest of the group going from Marina Del Rey. However, my main concern after that is finding a place I can launch from closer to San Diego and then leave the truck and trailer for 6 days. (Wanted to be in San Diego that week to see Rosanne's daughter.) There is a nice big facility at San Diego, but they only allow parking for 72 hours. Other than that, I have not been able to find anywhere else in San Diego. Dana Point Embacardaro allows 7 days. We're not even sure if my step daughter will be available for us to visit her that week, but our schedule is locked in for that week due to the Catalina Adventure, and then plans and reservations in Goodyear Arizona the second week after the Catalina adventure. The step daughter is going to be coming back from Brazil sometime that week, so we may end up just spending several days at Dana Point exploring, then load out and go down to San Diego for 3 days, allowing us to launch the boat there and then parking the truck and trailer within that 72 hour limit. But ideally, it would be nice to find somewhere in San Diego that allows parking for 6 or 7 days! Colby
Bluechablis

City/Region: Redondo Beach
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Far C'r
Photos: Far C'r
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have been hit with a senior moment, all these months I thought my daughter had a trip scheduled for Aug 12th but it turns out we are to leave on Aug 6th! I was looking forward to seeing everyone again, a highlight of the year. The kids still work so time with them is precious, hope to see everyone next year. Have a great trip!

Floyd
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will miss seeing you Floyd. Enjoy your family.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: