The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

05/11 - 05/14 - Friday Harbor 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like those plans Peter. I’m not sure why the concern with the Canadian Navy though. Aren’t there several large groups doing the Inside Passage at any one time? But I do think it’s easier for anchoring and docking with smaller groups. Colby
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I’m not sure why the concern with the Canadian Navy though.

Colby, I forgot the Razz

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter & Judy wrote:
Quote:
I’m not sure why the concern with the Canadian Navy though.

Colby, I forgot the Razz

Ah. You scared Steve (Dora Jean). I just figured I'd let the Navy know what we were doing. They'll probably be able to ping my AIS anyway. lol Colby
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like hearing that you folks are perfectly fine with slow-boating. Sometimes folks poke fun at me because I'm happy running at 2,000 RPM a good part of the day in the Gulf or San Juan Islands.

I'm happy to cruise with our out-of-towners and share some of the places I've loved for years. That'll be fun. At the same time, I expect a core group will boat together the whole way. Let's talk about this at length at Friday Harbor when everyone's present.

But once again I want to stress that the Strait of Georgia is a leg that I'll run at cruising speed (15 knots) if weather permits, and faster (19 knots) if it's variable winds.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of our friends from the South seem a little anxious about crossing the Georgia Strait for the first time. I was based on Vancouver Island and in 25 years of crossing the GS regularly (more times than I can remember) I have never had a problem. There may have been twice during a crossing that I thought to myself "I wish I was somewhere else"! But for all the other crossings, a piece of cake. Listen to the weather forecast, if it is a concern, don't go. If it is favorable, you go. When you complete your first crossing, you will wonder what all the fuss was about.
Enjoy the adventure, be safe, and have lots of fun.

Martin.
Catman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, thank you for that. Your experience and wisdom regarding the Strait of Georgia is helpful. Let me add that I've crossed those 20 miles several times in my 16' Angler when the water was beautifully smooth. That really is one of my favorite jaunts when the weather cooperates.

We'll also want to talk about Whiskey Golf, the military test range not far from Nanaimo as we leave Departure Bay.
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the requirments for crossing into Canada? Has it gone back to the normal before Covid?

Thanks,Steve
Catman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, Pan-A-C'ya Steve and I boated about the San Juans and Gulf Islands for 18 uncommonly glorious days the first half of last October.
At that time we checked in at the Sidney customs dock. We had to idle nearby for about 50 minutes before our turn came to tie up and use the customs dock telephone. I don't think I'll check in at Sidney any time soon. Van Isle, one mile north, is a much better option.

We had our registration and passports in hand, ready to speak to the officials. Instead, it was unstaffed, we used the dockside telephone, and were asked pretty much the same questions I've been asked for years. Point is, it was once again routine. I don't think I needed to complete the ArriveCAN Ap online beforehand. (Though I needed to for my earlier trip north).
Feel free to correct me if I'm presently mistaken.
Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I crossed the border by boat 5 times last season, all without issues. Of course you will need your passports and you'll also want to check the Canadian Customs website for specifics on what you cannot bring into the country. Bedwell Harbour is my preferred reporting point and according to the CBSA website will be open starting May 1st from 9am-5pm. One thing I might add is that you don't have to use the dock phone, but rather sit comfortably in your boat and talk to using your cell phone. The number is: 1-888-226-7277
Schuster

City/Region: Port Orchard
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Sea Witch
Photos: Sea Witch
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve and Joanie, good info on not having to leave the boat to use the phone on the dock at Bedwell. Does the phone number work for other entry points as well? That simplifies things a bit. Now if I understand correctly you did not use the ArriveCan App before you entered Bedwell Harbor? How about returning to the US. Any issues?
We were in Canada in July and used the ArriveCan App prior to entry and on upon returning to USA at Roche Harbor the customs officer made us download and fill out a similar App for re-entry. The App is CBP ROAM for re-entry. I'm hoping they've dropped these requirements.

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent 2 months in Canada last summer. I re-entered the USA at Anacortes. I went to the office on shore. All was very easy except I found it strange that when I replied "Yes" as to whether I had eggs aboard, they went out to the boat to confiscate them (along with some limes). Can't bring eggs into the USA, but the interesting part was that it made no difference that I had purchased these eggs in the USA before I left! I didn't mind of course because they had no way of knowing if I was lying or telling the truth.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
I spent 2 months in Canada last summer. I re-entered the USA at Anacortes. I went to the office on shore. All was very easy except I found it strange that when I replied "Yes" as to whether I had eggs aboard, they went out to the boat to confiscate them (along with some limes). Can't bring eggs into the USA, but the interesting part was that it made no difference that I had purchased these eggs in the USA before I left! I didn't mind of course because they had no way of knowing if I was lying or telling the truth.

Guess they need to stamp "Made in the USA" on each egg during production.
Knipet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schuster wrote:
Steve and Joanie, good info on not having to leave the boat to use the phone on the dock at Bedwell. Does the phone number work for other entry points as well? That simplifies things a bit. Now if I understand correctly you did not use the ArriveCan App before you entered Bedwell Harbor? How about returning to the US. Any issues?

Hi Dave, good to read from you! Good times last summer playing trivia at Moby's Pub!

Yes, that CBSA phone number works regardless of what reporting dock you use. I've used it not only at Bedwell, but also Sidney and Van Isle. It's great since you can wait on hold in the comfort of your own boat and have your documents and passports on the dinette table ready to answer questions. The number, like the phone on the dock dials to Ottawa.

The ArriveCAn app worked great for the first several crossings, but then soon after Canada lifted their Covid-19 vaccination requirements it seemed not to work anymore for boat crossings. I think it was just so you could upload the proof of vaccination, but since not longer needed, the app seemed not to be necessary.

Yes, the CBP Roam app is great! It works great for us as we can make contact with it once we cross the water border from the Gulf Islands right off Stuart Island (where we get a cell signal), easily get approval, then head directly to our home port on the north of Orcas. No diverting to Roche or FH - its great.
Knipet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
All was very easy except I found it strange that when I replied "Yes" as to whether I had eggs aboard, they went out to the boat to confiscate them (along with some limes).

Hey Sandy,
Similar thing happened to me, but with oranges. Used the CBP Roam and subsequent phone call from customs. Despite my purchasing the oranges in a US store just prior to my trip, they made me dump them overboard before landing. Also one time in answering one of the confusing questions that had; "are you bringing in any animals" along with a whole mess of other unrelated items, I mistakenly answered "no". Then my little dog Fiona barked, which alerted the agent I did indeed have an animal on board. I had to mi culpa that I thought the question was about livestock type animals, not my little foo foo dog!
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just downloaded the CBP Roam app. It looks a little intimidating to learn its use. But I'm sure it will become clearer when needing to use it.
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: