The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

05/11 - 05/14 - Friday Harbor 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catskinner

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2022
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Dock Holiday
Photos: Dock Holiday
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject: Friday Harbor Reply with quote

Dock Holiday and crew will be attending! Weather permitting, we plan on arriving Wednesday and leaving on Monday!
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Love to see peoples plans of travel in the upcoming 2023 boating season.

The end of last season I said I wasn't making any hard plans for next summer...Rolling Eyes

March, Florida. St. Johns River gathering, assuming it can be pulled off with current flooding damage at Hontoon... then cruising somewhere in the SE after the gathering.

May, Friday Harbor and PNW

July, possibly several weeks at Isle Royale National Park, otherwise some other cruising in Lake Superior or Lake Michigan.

August, hope the West Coast folks are doing the Catalina Island thing again then, as it's on my calendar!

October, Meet in the Middle at Lake Barkley, then cruising the Cumberland River.

They are called TRAILERABLE boats! Cool Colby
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, I think you get the prize for the most towed miles towing a C-Dory. Throw in the annual Delta/Bay Extravaganza and you will have done it all. Smile

Here is a well done video of the 12th annual extravaganza put on by Jim and Kathy on Pounder. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhmOlevTjfManot Catch the signups early for this gathering because it fills up fast. Gary

colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did that a few years ago. Laughing I’ll eventually do it again maybe, but the moon and stars have to line up right! Lol
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing us to your 2022 Princess Louisa photos, Randy. They're fabulous, and only increase my desire to visit. And your Calvert Island photos are really stunning.

Dock Holiday, it'll be good to see you and your beautiful new boat again. Glad you can make it.
Colby, that is one heck of a 2023 lineup!
Gary, I think it's your trail photo looking down at the bay that offers such an inspiring glimpse of that hike's reward!
DayBreak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brock, that hike to the Trappers Cabin and waterfall was very strenuous and the trail not well marked. There is a sign at the beginning of the trail that describes its danger and mentions that peoples have died while taking it. The rocks next to the waterfall are extremely slippery and this may be where people have perished. The trail going down is easily lost and at times we had to slide down backwards because of the wet and slippery exposed tree trunk roots. It would be easy to fall and hurt oneself even on the main trail. Would I do it again? Yes, but with great caution and knowing the risks.
Catman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the trail tip, Gary. I think I'll pass on the slippery walk up this May. I find I'm physically more cautious about certain challenges. I think more about how a great trip could turn seriously sour miles from a hospital, and how mad I'd be at myself for taking unnecessary chances. Even a twisted ankle wouldn't be welcome aboard. It wasn't long ago that I'd probably dash up that trail. But then again, I was younger and bulletproof.

Guys, the reason I'm resurrecting this initial--UNOFFICIAL--Friday Harbor thread is to use it exclusively to talk about our post-event cruise to Princess Louisa Inlet beginning Sunday 5/14.

So far we have about 6 or 8 boats who've committed or would like to go but aren't sure at this time. My goal is to use this thread to give us a firm idea of what's in store and what we can expect. And we'll have time to talk about this at Friday Harbor. Also, I'd like to invite any Canadians who might like to join us along our way!
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy and I will be attending the Friday Harbour gathering for the first time. We are looking forward to it. Unlike many boaters who will be kicking off the season at FH, we will be wrapping up ours after this. Our basic plan will be to head off the Vancouver Island in early April from Alberta. After having the Honda's serviced by someone that knows something about Honda outboard. We plan to launch near Campbell river, into the Discovery Islands, Desolation Sound and Princess Louisa Inlet and return. Our goal on this trip is to run as many currents as we can to gain more experience doing this. There are lots of currents to play with in the Discovery Island's where we like to kayak. After a few days visiting Judy's family in Port Alberni we will likely launch from Ladysmith, cruise down into the southern Gulf Islands and then across to the San Juan's, Port Townsend to visit Mistaya's original home port and then off to FH to finish off the season. We would like to be home on the ranch by Victoria Day, to put in the garden and prepare for our various backpacking and canoe trips planned over the summer.

This will be our first time crossing the US border in our boat, so any tips would be appreciated.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one time I used LadySmith I was impressed with the local gal that runs the place. She kept an eye on my truck and trailer, and parking was free. Ramp was ok, but the fleet was in, so no room to slip for the night. Colby
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We launched from Ladysmith a few years ago and had zero issues. The one thing you have to watch out for is the wind when you are coming into the ramp. It is mostly protected, but then a little open area funnels the wind and catches you at the end. No harm done to the dock, but a little more character on Mistaya.

I have been looking at boat ramps and marina on the sorthern end of Vancouver Island to launch from, but long term parking is an issue. I never argue with free parking even if it a little further away.
DayBreak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter and Judy,
Great plans for a launch near Campbell River, then a launch at Ladysmith for your boating adventure and the family visit to Port Alberni. C-Dory boats are great for doing this kind of towing and travel.

I'm sure you know to check in at Roach Harbor or Friday Harbor immediately after crossing the boarder. I once witnessed a Captain checking in at Roach Harbor after spending the previous night on Stuart Island. The USCG officer told the man to take a taxi and go over to the other side of the island to Friday Harbor to receive his citation while his crew stayed on the boat. What a bad and embarrassing day for the Captain and his crew!

We look forward meeting you at the event and to hear about your travels. Gary and Colleen
DayBreak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brock,
I certainly see your wisdom to pass on that hike up to Trappers Cabin. Better safe than sorry!

Great news to have between 6 and 8 boats committed or showing interest in the Princess Louisa Inlet trip beginning Sunday 5/14 after the FH event. Will this trip be open to other C-Brat members that may not own a C-Dory but would like to travel in the group to learn more about C-Dory boats?

This is a great opportunity for those apprehensive about crossing the Strait of Georgia alone and would like to do so in a group with safe and experienced boaters such as yourself. Thanks for doing this. Gary
Catman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question, Gary. This cruise isn't comprised purely of C-Dorys, as we have two confirmations from former C-Dory owners who now own other brands. Both boats are larger, and it's safe to say most Brats like 'em both. The couples are
well aware, however, that there'll be small penalty for their departure. (They'll be carrying a lot of my really heavy stuff).

Fine with me if a few C-Dory enthusiasts owning other boats want to join us, as well as those who weren't able to make Friday Harbor but are intrigued by Princess Louisa. And again, I'd like to encourage Canadian Brats to join us.
By the way, Peter and Judy, I want to meet you two and hear about your cruising exploits leading up to Friday Harbor. You've got some pretty darn exciting plans outlined for our Salish Sea. I'm excited for another boating season!
Schuster

City/Region: Port Orchard
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Sea Witch
Photos: Sea Witch
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject: border crossing Reply with quote

Peter and Judy,
We've stayed at Ladysmith a few times at the Maritime Society dock. you may want to give them a call as they are very helpful. As far as entering the US there are a couple choices.... Friday harbor or Roche Harbor. you must contact the US Customs office upon arrival. We've always used Roche Harbor. Just pull up to the dock and tie off and report to the office. Passengers are not allowed to leave the boat other than to handle lines. You will probably want to hail the office before docking. you can check online as to what you can not bring into the US as well as what you have to declare upon entering. its all pretty straight forward depending on the agent you get. have a great trip.

Catch 22

City/Region: Lynnwood
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Catch 22
Photos: Catch 22
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catch 22 will be there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: