The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

05/11 - 05/14 - Friday Harbor 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, 2023 Friday Harbor attendees, plans are being formed for a post-gathering flotilla to Princess Louisa Inlet!

Jeff and Dianne, formally with Ripple, initiated what I think is a fantastic idea. I've been there only twice since 1972, last visit 1996, so I have to go. We can't know what kind of weather awaits, but 33 years of C-Dory boating has shown me that May can be a month with days-long mild windows.

At any rate, think about it as we formulate a schedule, ports of call, and goals. I estimate that we'll have plenty of dock space at PLI, and am hopeful that Covid won't thwart our Canadian rendezvous. So far I believe we have four boats.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catman wrote:
Hey, 2023 Friday Harbor attendees, plans are being formed for a post-gathering flotilla to Princess Louisa Inlet!

Jeff and Dianne, formally with Ripple, initiated what I think is a fantastic idea. I've been there only twice since 1972, last visit 1996, so I have to go. We can't know what kind of weather awaits, but 33 years of C-Dory boating has shown me that May can be a month with days-long mild windows.

At any rate, think about it as we formulate a schedule, ports of call, and goals. I estimate that we'll have plenty of dock space at PLI, and am hopeful that Covid won't thwart our Canadian rendezvous. So far I believe we have four boats.

What is the approximate round trip time of this excursion? I know there are potential issues with weather and sea state, but some idea of the time involved would be helpful.
Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brock,
Joanie & I want to get in on this adventure!
Are you still up for the "you guide for food" arrangement? Very Happy

Catman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, great to hear you and Joanie are onboard! You guide for food, you say? You bet, if I can remember my way there. I'll just follow somebody else, and you follow me...

ssobol, you bring up a good question, and my answer at this writing is I don't know. I was thinking five days, for what that's worth. I imagine we'll have both retired and employed boaters among us. I envision us cruising up there more or less together, but likely returning on a schedule that fits our vacation time. Too, weather will play a major role.

Let's talk about this in the time we have. Once there, I'm in no great hurry to return, but I don't want anyone to feel abandoned and left to return alone, unless by choice. I would think each of us will need to have a group as well as an individual plan.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catman wrote:
Steve, great to hear you and Joanie are onboard! You guide for food, you say? You bet, if I can remember my way there. I'll just follow somebody else, and you follow me...

ssobol, you bring up a good question, and my answer at this writing is I don't know. I was thinking five days, for what that's worth. I imagine we'll have both retired and employed boaters among us. I envision us cruising up there more or less together, but likely returning on a schedule that fits our vacation time. Too, weather will play a major role.

Let's talk about this in the time we have. Once there, I'm in no great hurry to return, but I don't want anyone to feel abandoned and left to return alone, unless by choice. I would think each of us will need to have a group as well as an individual plan.

It's about 150 miles (one way) from Friday Harbor to Chatterbox Falls (end of Princess Louisa Inlet). Ambitious to do it in 5 days if you consider round trip.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still plan on coming out for the gathering. I don't have any set plans for after, other than to cruise. I need to be back home by the end of May. Smile (4 day drive, and if it works out, I hope to launch and retrieve in Sequim). Depending on what others are doing, it might be worth my while to join up to the Inlet. Colby
Catman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real good, Colby.

Ssobol, you're right, it is quite a jaunt, and five days would be a stretch. Two days up, one day there, two days back doesn't sound very realistic--or relaxing!
Not to mention, there's mercurial Strait Of Georgia lurking to possibly spoil any plans we think we can carry out.

I think what's more realistic is for me to stop trying to satisfy both people still employed, and those retired with many days to cruise. Folks choosing to do this will need the luxury of time on their side. Several have said they want to continue on to Desolation Sound for an undetermined period. Personally, that sounds like fun, and something I'd be up for if the weather cooperates.

But I know that I'm determined to see Princess Louisa-weather permitting-and I'm going to budget a minimum two weeks for the journey.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catman wrote:
Real good, Colby.

Ssobol, you're right, it is quite a jaunt, and five days would be a stretch. Two days up, one day there, two days back doesn't sound very realistic--or relaxing!
Not to mention, there's mercurial Strait Of Georgia lurking to possibly spoil any plans we think we can carry out.

I think what's more realistic is for me to stop trying to satisfy both people still employed, and those retired with many days to cruise. Folks choosing to do this will need the luxury of time on their side. Several have said they want to continue on to Desolation Sound for an undetermined period. Personally, that sounds like fun, and something I'd be up for if the weather cooperates.

But I know that I'm determined to see Princess Louisa-weather permitting-and I'm going to budget a minimum two weeks for the journey.

I did a Princess Louisa-Inlet trip over a 4 day weekend around the 4th of July back in 2011. We launched in Blaine and cleared customs in WhiteRock. That took less than 1 hour. We then headed up to Secret Cove. We did some fishing along the way and arrived at Secret Cove in the mid afternoon (~72 miles from Blaine). We got a slip for the evening and ran the dingy over to get some groceries. We left the next day and ran up to Princess Louisa Inlet. That was only a run of another 76 miles or so (~148 miles from Blaine). We fished along the way (caught a nice white king salmon) and even dropped a shrimp pot (got maybe 30 spot prawns). We reversed the trip the next day and were back in Blaine about 3.5 days after we originally departed. We had calm seas most of the way and sometimes ran 30kts in the Tomcat. We still had (for us) plenty of time to sightsee and fish along the way since the high speed travel time was less than 3 hours each day and the days are fairly long in early July. So even in a 22, 5 days seems like plenty to me as that's only about 60 miles each day and even at 15kts, that's 4 hours of travel time. But I recognize that different folks like different speeds.

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added this to the Calendar and made a signup list. I trust the dates of May 11-14 are still correct and DayBreak is the honorary cruise director?
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. Yes and yes. Waiting for e-mail response but I do not see why we would not have the May 11-14 date for our group. Would love to do Princess Louisa with the gang but we plan to head up to the Broughtons early Sunday on the 14th. Weather permitting, hope to be there the following Tuesday on the 16th. Open to travel with other Brats if they can keep up! Smile
Catman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, good to hear from you, and thank you for sharing your four day experience to Princess Louisa. I appreciate that perspective, and it reminds me of my frequent 100 mile days in 16' Bambina. Though you were in a Tomcat, that actually emboldens me because this journey's been a few decades.

And Gary (Daybreak), I watched your smooth-water, 30 knot blast across I think it was the Strait Of Georgia three years ago. Were you headed to PLI?
By the way, thanks for spearheading this year's event again!

Lastly, I don't mean to hijack this thread, which is devoted to our annual Friday Harbor party.
Catman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the signup sheet, Mike.
rshuman531

C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Raven
Photos: Raven
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven did a Princess Louisa trip last May just after Friday Harbor. I posted a cruise summary in Grand Adventures and photos in the Raven photo area. Our timing and port stops might be a useful reference.
Catskinner

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2022
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Dock Holiday
Photos: Dock Holiday
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Friday Harbor Reply with quote

Dock Holiday and crew will be attending! Weather permitting, we plan on arriving Wednesday and leaving on Monday!
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brock, yes, that smooth water and 30 knot blast across the Strait was heading out to PLI in Sept 2019. Had a great time and did the hike to Trappers Cabin starting from Chatterbox Falls. Worth the hike because of the waterfall and great views.

Colleen and I are glad to coordinate the FH event this year and so look for an official post to come soon with needed sign-up information for the port.

Love to see peoples plans of travel in the upcoming 2023 boating season.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: