The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

05/11 - 05/14 - Friday Harbor 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I will ask for the second Thursday of May through Sunday noon

That coincides with May 11-14. At this time I have stuck it more definitively on my calendar, and if it works out I'll plan to launch out of Anacortes (or Harvey's back yard if the weather cooperates?) a couple days before the gathering, and then hang around to cruise for another week afterwards. Is crabbing open then? Colby
Schuster

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Sea Witch
Photos: Sea Witch
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, lately (the past few years) crabbing season doesn't open till mid July. The WDFW hasn't been very helpful in allowing for people to make their plans based on fishing seasons. They've been sporadic at announcing seasons based on catch results etc. However, if you are in to shrimping there could possibly be a open season about that time. Again it will all boil down to what WDFW decides upon at the time. We'll keep our fingers crossed.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. I've never done any shrimping. Maybe I should try it while out there if it's open... Colby
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/eiIEafBNdg0

here is a starter video.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
here is a starter video.

Not much different from crabbing really, other than about 270 feet of water. Can you shrimp in shallower water? I had 150' of line, but cut it down to 75'. Sad Probably a little expensive for only a few days available while out there, but might be worth it. I enjoy crabbing when the opportunity exists. It's only money.... Mr. Green Colby
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Thanks Dave. I've never done any shrimping. Maybe I should try it while out there if it's open... Colby

You should definitely try it, it's the most expensive method ever devised for eating shrimp.
multimediasmith

City/Region: New Orleans' Northshore
State or Province: LA
Vessel Name: ENDEAVOR
Photos: ENDEAVOR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this thread is moving the plan from the "dreaming" shelf to the "hoping" or even "planning".
Thanks for the inspiration.
A lot depends on Canada's and US Custom's stance on visiting and then returning to the US visa Vis the pandemic restrictions. US customs said this past summer that if we cruised through the North Channel of Huron, we would have to show vaccination documentation for reentry.

Would LOVE to cruise Desolation, Broughtons, San Juans next summer... ENDEAVOR gets more and more ready... so do I.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a U.S. citizen, you do not need to be vaccinated to re-enter the country by land or ferry terminal. The following is a question of DHS and a quote from them: Q: Do U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents need proof of vaccination to return to the United States via land POEs and ferry terminals?
"A: No. Vaccination requirements do not apply to U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, or Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs). Travelers that exhibit signs or symptoms of illness will be referred to CDC for additional medical evaluation."

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2021/10/29/frequently-asked-questions-guidance-travelers-enter-us

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Quote:
I will ask for the second Thursday of May through Sunday noon

That coincides with May 11-14. At this time I have stuck it more definitively on my calendar, and if it works out I'll plan to launch out of Anacortes (or Harvey's back yard if the weather cooperates?) a couple days before the gathering, and then hang around to cruise for another week afterwards. Is crabbing open then? Colby

Colby, look forward to seeing you at Friday Harbor. Patty and I been going to FH as long as there has been a gathering there - looking at the Cruises and Events photo album, it seems that was 2008, but it might have been earlier. We always hang around in the San Juans to cruise for a bit after FH, so maybe we could cruise a bit together!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Colby, look forward to seeing you at Friday Harbor. Patty and I been going to FH as long as there has been a gathering there - looking at the Cruises and Events photo album, it seems that was 2008, but it might have been earlier. We always hang around in the San Juans to cruise for a bit after FH, so maybe we could cruise a bit together!

That would be nice. I remember several folks telling me before the first FH gathering I attended that there were always folks that cruised around after the gathering. For whatever reason, it was a odd year, and nobody cruised afterwards. I think my wife was with me then, and we just did our own thing then cruising to several of the other islands. Just this evening Rosanne and I were discussing her schedule and possible vacation requests. As of now, the gathering weekend is her weekend to work, so at this time, she is not planning on being at the gathering with me. However, she may try to fly out to join me a week earlier at my brothers and maybe do some day cruising in the bays, like Gig Harbor or Tacoma. Then I'd hang around for another week after the gathering to cruise around the islands. So company would be ideal. Colby
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,

I might be interested in "hanging out" for a couple of days after the gathering. I wouldn't be interested in going too far, but I wouldn't rule out even going a bit into Canada. A couple of caveats: 1. the weather has to be reasonable; 2. if shrimping opens that week, I'll have to re-think things; 3. I'm getting so bloody old now, I just don't know what my strength will be (I'm having pacemaker problems right now as I write this).

Anyway.....a possibility.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe there will be a group of us hanging out afterwards. I'll bring my passport along. And I still might be interested in doing some shrimping. Although I prefer crab. Confused Colby
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
Colby,

I might be interested in "hanging out" for a couple of days after the gathering. I wouldn't be interested in going too far, but I wouldn't rule out even going a bit into Canada. A couple of caveats: 1. the weather has to be reasonable; 2. if shrimping opens that week, I'll have to re-think things; 3. I'm getting so bloody old now, I just don't know what my strength will be (I'm having pacemaker problems right now as I write this).

Anyway.....a possibility.

If you're going to travel a long way for the gathering, might as well make the trip worth it...
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
Colby,
I'm getting so bloody old now, I just don't know what my strength will be.

Well, Sandy, no pacemaker here, but you are only one year older than I am (I know that from your Vancouver Island trip)! None of us knows "when," but we need to go until we know for sure that we no longer can! Starcraft Tom aside, I see that as being 8-10 years out, Dr. Bob is a great example!
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

Well, it certainly is the ultimate gamble Wink !

One of my good friends died at 52 many years ago. One day he was fine, then 6 months later he died of a brain tumor. My best friend died at 73 and he was in the best shape of anyone I've ever known (he ate perfect, didn't drink or smoke, exercised like a mad man running dozens of miles per week, did everything "right"). The "In Memory" section of my high school's reunion webpage just keeps getting longer and longer at an accelerating rate.

I ain't planning to go soon, but I see the handwriting on the wall. Denial ain't my thing (nor is religion -- which IMHO is little more than organized denial). Maybe I'll make it to 90 or beyond, but I ain't planning on it Wink Laughing .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: