The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

05/11 - 05/14 - Friday Harbor 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dora~Jean wrote:
I just downloaded the CBP Roam app. It looks a little intimidating to learn its use. But I'm sure it will become clearer when needing to use it.

It's actually pretty easy to use. In case it isn't obvious, you just use the app to "initialize" your entry after crossing the water border, or where ever you get a cell signal. Then in a few minutes a CBP officer will call you back and ask the normal questions. Only on the very first time using it, they wanted to do a video call where we showed them around the boat for a minute or two. Other than that it was just a call back with a few questions, then cleared to go to our destination which was usually our home dock.

Schuster

City/Region: Port Orchard
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Witch
Photos: Sea Witch
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you were able to check in the CBP App alone without a NEXUS pass? I like that idea a lot. I know my wife and I were having a little difficulty using the app parked outside the customs office. An officer walking by helped us finish the entries in about 15 seconds and we were on our way. It was somewhat intimidating learning a new system but I'm sure we'll get used to it as our Son and his family live in Nanaimo, BC..
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We once had our garlic taken by US Border agents. I told her we bought it in the US and she stuck her open hand out ( to close to my face for my liking or politeness) and loudly stated that " garlic does not retain citizenship"

Going to look at the new app for this trip.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knipet wrote:
... Similar thing happened to me, but with oranges. Used the CBP Roam and subsequent phone call from customs. Despite my purchasing the oranges in a US store just prior to my trip, they made me dump them overboard before landing. ...

How does making you dump your oranges overboard accomplish anything?

Main purpose of disallowing produce to cross borders is to prevent the transport of pests. Confiscated produce needs to be incinerated.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol... Its funny that you still think that the government and its rules should make since. Or that thier employees understand or care to understand why they are doing what they do. That train left the station along time ago. late and headed in the wrong direction but it left.

This story, well know, should help.

What is the Five Monkeys Experiment?
If you haven’t heard about the Five Monkeys Experiment, it goes a little something like this:

A researcher puts five monkeys in a cage. There’s a bunch of bananas hanging from a string, with a ladder leading to the bananas. When the first monkey goes for the bananas, the researcher sprays all five monkeys with freezing water for five minutes. Sometime later, when a second monkey inevitably tries to go for the bananas, the researcher once again sprays all five monkeys with the cold water for five minutes. The researcher then puts the hose away and never touches it again. But, when a third monkey tries to go for the bananas, the other four attack him to prevent him from climbing that ladder. They are afraid of the punishment that may come.

Then, the researcher replaced one of the monkeys with a new monkey who wasn’t part of the original experiment and was never sprayed with water. And as soon as he touches the ladder to go for the bananas, the other four monkeys attack him to keep him from doing so.  If he tries again, they attack him again. Thus, the new monkey learns not to go after the bananas because he’ll get attacked if he does.

The researcher replaces a second monkey with another new monkey. When this monkey goes for the bananas, the other four attack him, including the new monkey never sprayed with water. The researcher then continues to replace all the monkeys one at a time until all five original monkeys are removed from the cage. Each time the newcomer goes for the bananas, the others attack, even when they, as new monkeys, have never received punishment for going after the bananas. And thus, the new monkeys, who have never been sprayed with cold water, learn not to go after the temptation of the bananas.

The researchers hypothesize that if they ask the monkeys why they don’t go for the bananas, they’d answer, “because that’s the way it’s always been done.” That’s what we call the Five Monkey Experiment “Syndrome.”
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the same government that designs, installs, and maintains all the navigational aids we all happily depend on? Is it the same government that produces the charts we'd all be up shit creek without?
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been cruising around the San Juans since Tuesday and can report that the weather is improving! However, right now the forecast is for some rain late this week and into next Tuesday. But hey, that can change pretty quickly.

I spent a few nights at Prevost on Stuart Island and was fairly stunned that I was almost all of that time alone. I can't recall it so quiet at that popular place. And yesterday felt like a summer day, with temps in the mid-60's and evenings in the low 50's. One group who did stop by were three intrepid Swedes who were on Day 3 of their three month paddle to Glacier Bay! What fun they were to talk to. They weren't kids, either. All about 55, and happy as can be to experience our magnificent Inside Passage. Look for them if you're traveling north this spring and summer.

I'm currently at Friday Harbor, and the folks here are looking forward to seeing us in less than two weeks.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Catman. I've got some minor changes to my plans. I'm staying out longer than planned. Smile The Medora Musical in N. Dakota opens June 7th. I decided to make reservations for that, so won't load the boat back out at Cap Sante until June 3 or 4. If we get to Chatterbox Falls with plenty of time to spare, then I'll wonder around the Gulf Islands or San Juans. Or preferably hang out with some other C-Brats until I need to get. If weather delays us big time in getting to PLI, then I can get them to rebook my reservations until a later date on my way home. I'm in Winnemucca NV tonight, one day away from Rio Vista, where the Delta Cruise will start on Wednesay! Very Happy Colby
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have just returned for a week in deserted Desolation Sound. We finally hit a pretty good weather window and hardly saw another boat. We had some really nice cruising and kayaking. Except that we kayaked ashore is Grace Harbour and we went for a walk and collected some oysters for dinner. I stepped on some wet rock and took a tumble and injured my right deltoid muscle in the process. The one armed paddle to the boat was not too bad, but getting out of the kayak and back into the boat was very difficult. So I spend a couple of days resting on the boat and Judy was able to kayak around in beautiful weather. Getting the kayaks back on the boat was difficult. I am now resting up and should be on the mend. Sleeping on a bed is much easier than in the v-berth, this was very difficult one armed.

We have crossed the US border many times in our lives and Judy was born in the US. We have never crossed by boat so this will be a new experience. As avid travellers having been to over 50 countries on five continents between us, we have experience more problems at US border crossing than any other border crossing, including remote crossing in many developing countries. You really have to check out the rules and and not piss off the border agents. Last year they took our eggs, we never bring citrus fruit, but have had potatoes, tomatoes, meat and other food stuff confiscated. We both have been almost strip searched at US airports a couple of times. We never did have a problem at the Canadian border coming home. Check all the rules as the US changes them often, print out the current rules if you have a dispute and remember "Yes Sir, No Sir". Once we have crossed we have always had a good vacation in the US. We are looking forward to Friday Harbour.

Also, when crossing into Canada from the US, the number one illegal export that they are looking for are weapons. We have much tougher gun laws up here, so leave the six shooters at home and you should have few problems. Canada is less strict on food imports from the US, so that rarely is a problem here.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are only 10 days away from our Friday Harbor gathering. The Port is excited for us to be there and has set aside the entire inside of H-Dock and part of G-Dock for C-Brats.

Upon arrival, call to the Harbormaster on VHF Channel 66a or call by phone (360-378-2688) and they will assign you a slip. Please do not take any open slip without first getting a slip assignment from the Harbormaster as the slip occupant may just be out for the day.

Once you’ve arrived and settled in, it is a tradition to welcome newly arriving C-Brats (or anyone else for that matter) with a hand at docking. While one of our favorite C-Brats activities is chatting and swapping stories, we don’t want to forget to keep our eyes open to help our fellow C-Brats.

Weekend Activities:
• Thursday (On the Dock) – Many will be arriving early. No special activities, just hanging out together.
Note that DayBreak will be at slip H3. If we don’t get to you first, stop by and see us!
• Friday All Day (On the Dock) – Greeting new arrivals and catching up. Stop by DayBreak at slip H3.
• Friday Dinner (In Town) – We have too many C-Brats to reserve space as a single group, SO be sure to invite your neighbors for smaller parties at the local restaurants. Be sure to reserve space as it is Friday night.
• Saturday 9 AM (On the Dock) – Boat Inspections begin. These should last until 11 - Noon, about 15 minutes per boat. Note: We will provide the Auxiliary Coast Guard volunteers with a list of each boat requesting an inspection, as well as their slip number.
• Saturday 2 PM (Party Barge*) – Book Exchange & Story Swapping. There has been good response to this new activity. Bring your old travel / boating books to exchange and swap travel information / tall stories at the same time. All unclaimed books will be taken to the Friday Harbor Free Shack.
• Saturday 5 PM (Party Barge*) – Potluck begins. Remember to bring your own chairs and dinnerware (plates, utensils, napkins, cups). Bring your favorite dish with enough to serve 4-6. We always have good variety and plenty of food!
• Saturday After Potluck – Drawing for Swag! Michael and Alona Millison from the C-Dory factory will be with us again bringing lots of C-Dory swag.
• Saturday After Drawing – Boat Christenings. We still have hope that Pat Anderson, Daydream, will be healed enough to attend. If so, we will have boat christenings.

* The Party Barge will be moored on the iside of the breakwater dock at the end of H dock.

See you all there!
Gary & Colleen
DayBreak

colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this thread ended up being more for the Princess Louisa Inlet cruise after the Friday Harbor gathering, I'll upload some photos from my cruising to PLI after the gathering. Colby

First photo is of Mistaya (Peter and Judy) and C-Traveler (myself) on the customs dock at Bedwell to clear customs into Canada. Seems like everywhere we go, we are the smallest boats in the neighborhood....

Mistaya and C-Traveler at Connover Cove

I ran with Peter and Judy, and we ran slow, taking four days to get from Friday Harbor to Princess Louisa Inlet. Some of the other 12 took two days and some three days. One is only allowed on the dock at PLI for 72 hours. By the time I took these next two photos, the group that ran in two days had left. But there were still several other's here, along with two other flotillas!

Great photo by Harvey of C-Traveler in front of Chatterbox Falls.

Another nice photo by Harvey of SeaSpray and C-Traveler under the Princess Louisa sign.

Harvey on Sleep C under the Princess Louisa sign.

Just another view of our boats and the Falls.

A nice view looking south from below the falls

C-Traveler at Ladysmith Maritime Community Marina. This is a very nice marina. I was here by myself. Well except for a number of American Tugs. (Same ones that were up at PLI)

I joined Sleepy C and SeaSpray again, at Ganges marina.

Harvey chasing his next ride! lol!

We're in Port Sidney this evening!
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos Colby

colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jody!
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more photos. SeaSpray Sleepy-C and C-Traveler are currently running together in the San Juan Islands. The three of us attempted to use CBP Roam app to clear customs as we came across between Tom Point and Turn Point. I have used it before during my Inside Passage Cruise. Both Harvey and Steve had just recently downloaded and installed the app on their phones. Both had issues using the app. Steve was eventually able to get the app to work after removing and reloading it. Harvey finally had to go into Roche Harbor to use the computer there. My advice is anyone that plans to go into Canadian waters and then return and wants to use the app to clear customs rather than first landing at a customs port, is to download the app early and get all the information added, such as travelers and mode of transportation. Also, I did experience a problem with my audio but the customs agent was able to work with me without my audio working. I could hear her, but she could not hear me. Later I found out that the app had turned off my phones microphone. This also prevented me from using speaker phone any other time. Mad I found that setting in settings and then for that app. We all finally ended up at Reid Harbor. Steve and I hiked out to Turn point, which is a 6 mi hike. But I think worth it to see the Light Station and the Cameras that traffic watch uses in directing the large ships.

SeaSpray out in the channel.

Photo of Turn Point Light Station from the water

Turn Point Cameras

Reid Harbor
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yabut, did you stop at the "treasure chest" on Stuart Island? That was my favorite part about hiking there 15 years ago. I assume that is still there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: