The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Loading on Trailer
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, yes it’s easy to just power on & off with either bunks or rollers, especially with side quides, but much less chance of damage if using a dock along side the ramp by attaching lines as others have described & that is my preferred method if a side dock is available. I’ve loaded & unloaded in a fairly fast river current off the gravel sides on rivers like the Yukon. There using power was not a good option, as a long line off a rear cleat holding against the current in conjunction with a shorter line off the bow allowed maneuvering the boat into the trailer with side guides. I’ve done this several times with just me handling the lines.

During warm weather launching like at Lake Powell, I normally just use crocs & what ever pants or shorts as all dries quickly, however in cold water & weather, I prefer waders & my favorite now are these Lacrosse irrigation boots, I also use for going to shore & other use with the Kaboats in Alaska.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/lacrosse-zxt-irrigation-hip-boots-for-men?ds_e=MICROSOFT&ds_c=Cabelas%7CShopping%7CSmart%7CCatchAll%7CGeneral%7CNAud%7CHigh%7CNMT&msclkid=a5b8102e3a5f125a2ffe730d5a60de3b&gclid=a5b8102e3a5f125a2ffe730d5a60de3b&gclsrc=3p.ds

Here Bill Roche & I are wearing these boots in Dry Pass, on the outside of Chichagof Island wilderness. On me, they fit well & fold to store easy on the boat & just the right height for boat launching.

In the 20 seasons of using our boat with over 25,000 miles on the water & 90,000 miles of towing it, we’ve launched & retrieved in many different places & ways with two different trailers. One a single axle with rollers & the other dual axle with bunks.

Jay

daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
Nope. The material is simply ironed together.

I do use my C-Dory differently from most. I often get on and off several times a day in remote areas to hike and explore. The pants take up almost no room in my daypack. I don't think my chest waders would fit.

Ah, ok -- that makes sense! Our marina is on Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD on the Upper Chesapeake and is typical Army spartan. The tides range about 3' and the fixed dock is separated from the ramp by a wheel-swallowing trench off the edge of the ramp -- which precludes getting the port side close enough for easy access to the boat.

So stepping in the water is inevitable. When the water is cold a cheap pair of waders work and then get tossed in the bed of the truck. When it's warm I wear an old pair of sneakers.
davidJ

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: E-Z Rider
Photos: davidJ
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look, the water line on the boat is about at the same height as the top of the fenders on the trailer, so I back in until the fenders go under water for launching and retrieving, then step from the dock unto the tailgate of my truck and pull on the bow line until the boat floats up to about a half foot or less from winch point. Then I step out onto the end of the trailer hitch and hook the boat up and give it a couple of turns on the winch to tighten it up and I'm done. to make the stepping go easier you could bolt a flat piece of metal on the trailer tong, but usually I sit in the truck and my fishing buddy does everything for me. I have a canopy with a boat rack on top of it to grab onto when stepping unto the tail gate and my trailer is the bunk type.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much of all of this depends on the angle and condition of the ramp. There are ramps which are very shallow and to get the fenders of the trailer under water, you would have the tow vehicle's front wheels in the water. Then there are ramps with a drop off at the end--or at a very steep angle. It boils down to what works best for you at that specific ramp.

The roller trailer has an advantage where the ramp is very shallow. Having side bunks, as well as the guides, also helps keeping the boat aligned. Some owners have fitted side rollers along with the side bunks.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AS Bob says, it depends. Every ramp is different. What does not change is the amount --read depth -- of water to float the boat. It is mentioned in several posts, to use the trailer fenders as a marker. That will vary from trailer to trailer but not a variable on you boat and trailer combo. After 15 plus years with my current boat and 10 years with the same trailer/boat combo, I have only had to power on twice, where the ramp was soooo shallow. I prefer the gentler approach. If the boat will float off, it should float on at the same depth. Here's a tip. Sometimes it helps to have a bit of weight (a person) in the stern. Hard to do when single handing -- which I do 98% of the time.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: