The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Loading on Trailer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pslansing@mac.com

City/Region: Boise
State or Province: ID
Photos: pslansing
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Loading on Trailer Reply with quote

Greetings,
I'm pondering acquiring a C-Dory 22 or 23 for day fishing and the odd weekend overnight. I'm used to lightweight aluminum boats that can be loaded with the trailer a little dry (about a quarter of the bunks showing). You just drive the bow between the bunks, raise the motor appropriately, then drive on up to within a foot or so of the winch. Easy peasy. Is this an approved loading method with C-Dorys? I've never owned a glass boat so please advise. (And don't spare my feelings.) Cheers, Phil
Moxieabs

City/Region: Cape Neddick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Widget
Photos: Widget
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power on, power off the trailer is the only way I can single-handily load and unload at the ramp near my Down East cottage in Maine since there is no dock or float adjacent to the ramp. the spare tire on the trailer tongue acts as a step on & off the bow. Water just over the trailer fenders works for me.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you can do it that way, because I have had to in the past, but I prefer to just let it float off and on even with a roller trailer like mine. It's just easier on the gelcoat finish, and well-positioned side bunks help in making it only take a moment or 2 more. I understand it's probably not always possible at every launch.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set out the dock lines for the side of the boat next to the dock. Back the trailer down until the boat is floating (with a C-Dory it doesn't take that much). Use the dock lines or side handles on the boat to walk it clear of the trailer. Tie it off and then go park the tow and trailer.

Do it in reverse when retrieving the boat.

If there isn't a dock, then you are going to get wet.

Powering on and off the trailer just messes up the ramp for everybody and is often prohibited.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can, but just as easy to back in to load, the same distance, as what it took for the boat to float off while launching. I've done it both ways, but many ramps don't allow power loading.
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've become a fan of "driving it on."

The float-on/off method often results in the trailer being too deep so that the rollers never catch and force the boat straight. Given the effect of even the slightest wind on these boats (especially when empty), it makes sense to drive the boat onto the rollers.

Some are concerned by "power loading" but quite frankly the amount of power required is minimal. I use the "never go faster than you're willing to hit something" speed and it's plenty to get the boat onto the rollers and close enough to the winch that I can hook up the bow eye and winch it up into position.

I don't drive it all the way up, though. Maybe I like the winching workout?

But I'd be surprised if a grain of sand is distributed. Seaweed sure ain't.
daninPA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will add ...

We went from a 14' Starcraft aluminum fishing boat on bunks to a C-Dory 22.

Our trailer has rollers (which I have grown fond of) and side bunk boards as guides.

But it's taken me several dozen load/unload sequences to finally feel confident that I'll get it on reasonably straight and that it won't float away.

In fact last week I launched it solo and I apologized to the couple next in line for taking so long and they waved me off saying, "Well, it is quite an art -- but you have it down!"

If they only knew...
kevinnuckles@icloud.com

City/Region: Yorktown
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: SEA STAR
Photos: SEA STAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:00 am    Post subject: LAUNCHING/RETRIEVING Reply with quote

ssbol has it right. Your bunks will stay in place longer when you are not slamming the boat into them, and your boat will enjoy fewer scars and scrapes.
You will also avoid the risk of your prop hitting the end of the cement ramp (ouch!).
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mostly solo and have only done a power-on a few times. The biggest problem with that is once on the trailer I have to crawl off of the boat/trailer, usually over the bow rail, into >12" of water. Much easier to properly locate the trailer and float the boat on. For my setup, when the wheel fenders sink under, I have just the depth I need. I might go a few inches deeper if the ramp is steep.

Best thing I did was make some "launching pants" (pictures in my photo album). Take off my shoes, slip on the pants and a pair of oversized crocs. Being able to wade in over my knees with no tight-rope walking on the trailer tongue makes the process easy. Then I toss the pant and crocs in the cockpit or back of the truck and rinse them when rinsing the trailer. Sure, they look funny, but the only comments received have been "where did you get those?"

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2462&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
daninPA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
I'm mostly solo and have only done a power-on a few times. The biggest problem with that is once on the trailer I have to crawl off of the boat/trailer, usually over the bow rail, into >12" of water. Much easier to properly locate the trailer and float the boat on. For my setup, when the wheel fenders sink under, I have just the depth I need. I might go a few inches deeper if the ramp is steep.

Best thing I did was make some "launching pants" (pictures in my photo album).

Wouldn't a cheap pair of hip waders have been less work?
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I walk my boat onto the trailer as far as it will go. Then I can go through the truck to get to the trailer tongue. I have treads on my trailer so I can walk out on the tongue to hook up the strap and wind the boat in. Then I go back through the truck to pull the boat and trailer out. I can do this without getting my feet wet.
daninPA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://waders.com/shop-by-brand/hodgman-caster-neoprene-stocking-foot-waders-brown-black/
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add my two cents worth...

1. I suspect you will have to experiment with your particular trailer to find rhe right depth for off-loading and retrieving the boat.

2. My boat easily floats off and on the trailer. My "secret" for retrieiving the boat is an extra long (30') front line/rope. This allows me to walk all the way to my pickup, climb into the bed, and from there pull the boat up to the winch. From this position, I feel (at age 80) very safer and it is easier to guide the boat straight onto the trailer.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Loading on Trailer Reply with quote

pslansing@mac.com wrote:
Greetings,
I'm pondering acquiring a C-Dory 22 or 23 for day fishing and the odd weekend overnight. I'm used to lightweight aluminum boats that can be loaded with the trailer a little dry (about a quarter of the bunks showing). You just drive the bow between the bunks, raise the motor appropriately, then drive on up to within a foot or so of the winch. Easy peasy. Is this an approved loading method with C-Dorys? I've never owned a glass boat so please advise. (And don't spare my feelings.) Cheers, Phil

I load my 25 just as you describe all the time Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daninPA wrote:
Wouldn't a cheap pair of hip waders have been less work?

Nope. The material is simply ironed together.

I have a pair of neoprene chest waders and a pair of stocking foot GoreTex guide pants (both of which I leave at home.) They are much bulkier and harder/slower to get on/off. The pants that I made roll into a tiny package on board when cruising and the Crocs can serve dual duty aboard and ashore.

I do use my C-Dory differently from most. I often get on and off several times a day in remote areas to hike and explore. The pants take up almost no room in my daypack. I don't think my chest waders would fit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: