View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodaverrill@gmail.com

City/Region: Mohnton
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Salty C
Photos: Salty C
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject: Sales tax on by owner sale Maryland Reply with quote

Any information on how Maryland sales and use tax is treated on a sale by owner. I'm thinking of meeting the buyer at a bank and having the bank confirm that the cashiers check is good, then sign the title over to the buyer. Does it have to be notarized? What do you do with sales tax?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new owner will pay sales tax in the state which he registers the vessel in. The seller does not collect sales tax.

Your plan is solid. Be sure that the buyer has arranged to have some bank officer available to confirm the cashier's check. Not all banks will do that.

The internet is your friend here:
Quote:
What documents will I need?
All documents must clearly identify the vessel by hull identification #, assigned boat # (ex: MD 1234 AB), or USCG documentation #.

Vessel is currently titled in Maryland
Original Maryland title (properly assigned – purchaser name, seller’s signature and date, purchase price)
Section 2 – taxes/fees – must also be calculated and entered
Sections 4 through 7 must also be completed, all purchaser’s must sign in section 7
Original Certified/Notarized Bill of Sale if purchaser’s name, sale date or price is missing from assignment of title
A bill of sale​ must include the names of the buyer and the seller, date of sale, seller’s signature, amount of sale and vessel description (year, manufacturer, hull identification number and/or current registration number).
Original lien release if seller’s title shows a recorded lien

Some states tax only the boat, motor not taxed if private sale, and trailer is separate tax. Thus I usually write separate bills of sale for boat, motor, and trailer.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some states title the motor separately. I did not know this until I purchased C-Traveler. It had a separate Ohio title, that I did not need for Wisconsin. However I assume all states title the trailer separately. When I registered the boat and trailer in Wisconsin, since I only paid one price, I listed the full price for the boat registration with the DNR and paid my sales tax then. When I registered the trailer with the DMV, I added a note and copy of my boat registration showing that all taxes were paid to the DNR.
Colby
jim-in-delaware

City/Region: Southern
State or Province: DE
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the boat is staying in Maryland, all taxes will be paid by the buyer to the State of Maryland. The boat will be registered through the Dept of Natural Resources and the trailer through the Dept of Motor Vehicles. You should also keep the trailer tag and the buyer should get a temporary tag for the trailer. He can do this at a place that offers tag services.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: