The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Overheating Outboard on Flushing Muffs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full disclosure....for the last couple 3-4 years I have been using CRC Salt Terminator because it is available at Amazon for about 40 bucks per gallon. Salt Away is double the price (or more) for some reason. It's sort of different...flows better....and Salt Away puts on a better suds show, but I'm not sure the suds show is actually worth the extra bucks and has anything to do with actual salt removal. I have 5 outboards to do, so I just keep moving the roughly 1/2 to 3/4 full 35 gallon garbage can from engine to engine giving them a good flush. Because I use the garbage can I am able to use warm water too - should work better than cold water.....my hands don't get cold anyway....lol....I bought their mixer once too, but it is not very good. In fact, unless they have changed it, it's just plain crap - leaks everywhere.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating Outboard on Flushing Muffs Reply with quote

ATPNW wrote:

I have considered this, but my question would be - How would you then use Salt Away? Or do you not use it?

Edit: I now see T.R. Bauer's suggestion with the Salt Away. I think ill try to incorporate this. Thanks!

To use a product like Salt Away you will need muffs and a mixing unit unless you pour a lot of the product into the tank. https://www.westmarine.com/salt-away-salt-away-treatment-kit-with-mixing-unit-377517.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6dWOp9WK-gIVoW1vBB2E4g8IEAQYByABEgJJr_D_BwEI I have used this mixing unit but mostly use the 100 gallon tank filled with water only and let the motors run for 20 minutes.

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider using a flush bag. It’s a bit more time consuming, but the engine is doing the circulation work without additional pressure from the hose. I don’t recall who made mine, but can dig it out if needed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: