The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Friday Harbor Gathering
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThumbsUp

City/Region: Reno
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Thumbs Up
Photos: Thumbs Up
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:31 am    Post subject: Friday Harbor Gathering Reply with quote

Hello friends!

I would love to attend the Friday Harbor gathering as it's been on the top of my bucket list since I purchased my 22' Cruiser back in 2014. I've boated on Lake Tahoe and a few local reservoirs with the CDory but have yet to make a trip to the ocean. I am ready to pull the trigger and head north.

Game plan is to drive from Reno to Anacortes and take the ferry to Friday Harbor. I will be pulling Thumbsup with my Cabover camper which gives me the option to sleep in the camper or boat. Total length is about 50' (f350 + boat) The boat runs great in fresh water and my hope is that it runs just as good for the gathering. I have a second set of props for running at sea level (came with the boat).

Honestly, I'm a bit nervous. It's a 14 hour drive, I'm heading to unfamilair waters and I'll likely be solo. But, I need to make it happen. I bought this boat to explore Puget Sound and meet like minded folks. Friday Harbor gathering seems like the perfect opportunity. I fish Alaska every year and go self guided so I do have experience with open ocean (met Hunky Dory in Icy Straights years ago). The last few years I've been fishing self guided out of Ketchican, Clover Pass area.

Any words of encourgement or advice would be greatly appreicated.

Cheers.

Mark

Side note - I have a trip planned to Orcas Island in June with my family and considering storing the boat at San Juan Island for a month or two.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could leave your rig in Anacortes and use your boat to go to Friday Harbor. Much more fun and a easy ride in your C-Dory. I would not want to haul a 50ft rig around FH tight streets. You still have to launch your boat then find a secure storage for your truck and camper. The run from Anacortes to FH is very easy, just keep an eye on the weather.

Martin.
MJDaggett

City/Region: Sunriver
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Carol Anne
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. I live in Central Oregon and tow ours up to Puget Sound several times a year during boating season. From Reno I would take 395 all the way up and at some point switch east to hwy 97. Follow that all the way to Ellensburg and then go west to Seattle over Snoqualmie pass (hwy 90), then north to either Annacortes or Bellingham and launch. Both are good for leaving your rig. Lakeview is a good crossover point hwy 31 to hwy 97. The drive is much easier that going up I-5 through all the valley cities.
Stripper WA Cuddy
ThumbsUp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you MJDaggett and Bridma. Plan now is to drive up 395 to Snoqualime pass and then to Annacortes or Bellingham and avoid valley cities. It's a fairly new truck/camper setup so finding a secure place to leave the rig overnight for a few days is important. Any suggestions on boat ramps in Anacortes/Bellingham area would be great.

How long is the boat ride from Anacortes/Bellingham to FH in a CDory with good weather? Is there a route that is easier or more scenic (Anacortes - FH vs Bellingham - FH)

Mark
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
When visiting the San Juans or Canadian waters, our personal favorite is launching out of Squalicum boat launch in Bellingham. For long-term trailer storage, you can use Landings At Colony Wharf or Bitter End Boatworks. Both are almost within walking distance south of the launch. We have used both and are well pleased. They charge $200 a month for trailer storage. You may wish to call them for daily rates. Some folks don’t like crossing Bellingham Bay but we actually preferred it on our visits to the San Juans.

If weather is good, you can easily make it from Bellingham to Friday Harbor in three hours or less. There are so many other great places to stay for the night while in route if weather is not so good or you find travel is slower. Gary

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suggestion to leave your rig in Anacortes or Bellingham is spot on: you are going to pay somewhere around $300 (+/-) to put your truck, boat, and trailer on the Washington State Ferry to Friday Harbor... and miss some really nice boating.

I drove commercial whale watch boats out of Friday Harbor, and am very familiar with either of those launch spots (since we also launched our C-Dory out of either, numerous times. Either spot is easy enough for your C-Dory. Out of Anacortes is the easiest: about 25 miles from Cap Sante in Anacortes. It is a few miles further from Squalicum Harbor in Bellingham, with a few more "turns" to get there.

Either will have you crossing Rosario Strait (a bit more to cross from Bellingham than Anacortes). If there is wind against tide, that can get lumpy fast. Most of the time, it isn't an issue; earlier in the day is generally better. Just check weather, wind, and tidal flow. Once across Rosario Strait, the rest of the way to Friday Harbor is nicely protected water. Keep track of where you are, keep your head on a swivel for the Washington State Ferries, and don't "cut any corners" as you come around the various islands. Contact the Port of Friday Harbor as you get close and they will tell you where the C-Brat gathering is; there will be plenty of C-Brats there to grab a line, as well. Friday Harbor has paid showers and a rest room on the docks just southeast of where the Brats will be gathering. Both Cap Sante and Squalicum Harbor have paid showers and decent rest rooms.

It has been a couple years since I needed rig parking in that area, but Cap Sante had trailer parking in their RV dry-camping area for $10 per night (price has probably gone up since then). There is a fee to sling launch your boat at Cap Sante, but then you don't have to put your trailer in the saltwater. Squalicum Harbor in Bellingham used to have 3 day parking when you pay for a ramp launch, but it would be best to check with them to see if that is still available. When we were there last, they had a spot with a hose so you could give your trailer a fresh water rinse.

If you haven't done a trip to the San Juans before, it is spectacularly beautiful. Charting is good. As I mentioned before, keep track of where you are, because when you get in the middle of a bunch of islands, it can be sensory overload first time around... you will quickly get the hang of it.

Tell the good C-Brat folks that I said, "Hi!"

Enjoy the trip,
Jim B (Captain Jim)
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great information Jim. Thanks. Squalicum boat launch has two wash stations and parking is free but only for up to five days. $9 launch fee. We have never had a problem parking our rig there.
ThumbsUp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very helpful information, thank you all and thank you Jim and Gary for the detail. I will make sure to tell fellow Cbrats hi for you!

Would it be best to depart on an outgoing tide for fuel effeciancy? I will keep a close eye on the weather and leave early morning as it sounds like that is a good time.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be two or three of us coming up from the California Delta Cruise. I can't speak for the other two, but I will be launching in Anacortes at Cap Sante Marina. They have ample parking, which if I remember is $5 or $6/day. I've used that marina several times and have had no issues parking there. It is a sling launch, so you're trailer will stay out of the salt. I forget the price for a 22, but around $50 round trip. (That is to launch and retrieve.) It's a very easy jaunt over to Friday Harbor from there. My plans are to arrive at Cap Sante on May 9th or 10th, and meet several other boats at Eagle Harbor the afternoon/evening of the 10th. While I've never used Bellingham, I've been told that it's better to go out of Anacortes due to more chop coming from Bellingham. I suspect with at least 20 signed up for the gathering, there will be several boats coming from Cap Sante. Probably some from Bellingham, and other ports around the area. I would not try bringing your rig on the ferry over to Friday Harbor. Even running slow, you can get to Friday Harbor in a day from Anacortes. Its' only 24 miles, and pretty well protected between the islands. Colby
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThumbsUp wrote:
Very helpful information, thank you all and thank you Jim and Gary for the detail. I will make sure to tell fellow Cbrats hi for you!

Would it be best to depart on an outgoing tide for fuel effeciancy? I will keep a close eye on the weather and leave early morning as it sounds like that is a good time.

With the short distance from Anacortes to Friday Harbor, the difference in fuel burn and tidal flow won't be significant. Just pick the timing that doesn't put wind against tidal flow when crossing Rosario Strait (for a better ride).

You can buy "Ports and Passes" chart book that will give you predictions, or get an app... but, if you aren't going to spend a lot of time there, that may be overkill. At some places in the San Juans, the tidal flow can be 8 knots, but that is in specific places, like Cattle Pass or where several channels come together. I would use the current chart books when driving a 12-knot boat, to pick the most efficient routing to get from Friday Harbor to distant locations, but we were running on a schedule. Most of the time, it would be looking at it during pre-departure planning just to get a feel for what to expect. The current predictors can even show you what side of a wide channel to run to plan for the best ride (when hauling a boat full of passengers, the ride matters, especially if you have to keep the speed up to get to a far away whale sighting). I don't mean to belabor this topic, because, while the tides and currents can be significant there, it will be much less of a concern for you when just looking to get from Anacortes to Friday Harbor. In our C-Dory, I would give getting a good ride precedence over fuel efficiency for the relatively short distances you are looking at.

From my perspective, the San Juans are one of the premier cruising waters to be had - so many great options in a compact area, with spectacular views and the opportunity to see interesting wildlife (Orcas, Minke whales, humpback whales, bald eagles, falcons, seals, Stellar Sea Lions, harbor porpoise... cruise by Spieden Island (just north of San Juan Island), and you may see some exotic deer or sheep (the island had an era of an exotic hunting ranch in the past).

Your boat gives you access to so many cool places in the San Juans, from hiking on Stuart Island to visiting the upscale Rosario Resort on Orcas Island, to setting your watch back 20 years while checking out Fisherman's Bay on Lopez Island. All of Anderson Island is a State Park. Or rent a scooter on San Juan Island and check out American Camp and English Camp (which you can also get to by boat) to learn about "The Pig War" between the US and British... go to the lavender farm. Or just walk and wander around Friday Harbor. You could spend months there and still find new things to do (we did).

I'm excited for you - the San Juans are best experienced with your own boat. Thousands of people take the Washington State Ferry and get to see a small part of it (the ferry services 4 island) - your boat opens up so many fun opportunities.

Bring your Passport and make it an International trip by visiting the Gulf Islands or the very British feeling Victoria on Vancouver Island. Or, save that for the next trip (you will want to visit again, and spend more time) when you can spend a month or more exploring the Canadian waters north of the San Juans.

Sorry if I ran on - I was reminiscing about all the good times there. To get back on point: there will be Brats there who can give you specific guidance for tides, currents, and timing. The Friday Harbor gathering is the start of some great times for C-Dory owners.

Enjoy!
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark, it’s hard to believe 8 years have past since meeting you, while you were fishing on a rented boat out of Elfin Cove in Cross Sound & we had just circled Yacobi Island. Waters with strong currents & open areas need to be respected, but I think you will find the San Juan Island area very safe & easy to get around compared to Icy Strait & the Cross Sound area in SE Alaska with the biggest concern not getting ran over by the many other boats.

We are looking forward to seeing you again, this time with your C-Dory at Friday Harbor.

Lots of good advice given especially about just going in your C-Dory to Friday Harbor & leaving the truck camper on the mainland. You might even consider, like us, leaving the truck camper at home & use the C- Dory on the road as a camper as well as on the water. I highly dislike the Seattle area traffic & find it better navigating the traffic congestion, lighter with just the truck with a shell towing the boat.

Jay

Last edited by Hunkydory on Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
ThumbsUp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby - I like the idea of a short boat ride on my first go to Friday Harbor so I think it's best to launch from Cap Sante Marie and park the Truck/Camper in overnight parking for a few days. It would be great to connect with you and/or other Cbrats for the journey to FH if possible. It would give me some piece of mind in new water. Your info is much appreciated.

Captain Jim - great stuff. Thanks for reminiscing, your stories are inspirational and I am excited to explore Puget Sound/San Juan/Orcas Island. Eventually, Vancouver Island, Port Hardy, Nanaimo, Quatsino. With enough experience maybe a trip to Ketchican is possible? This seems like a tall order but I still feel young enough to take it on. I just turned 50 and I'm not putting my dreams on hold any longer. There is nothing like a pod of orcas cruising by the boat or a breaching humpback off the bow. Rainbows from one end of the sky to the other or a King Salmon ripping line. I love all of these things and am lucky enough to have had these experiences in Alaska. I ran fishing boats in Icy Straights/Elfin Cove, Gustavas, Ketchican and Clover pass. Every trip is different and magical.

I'm going through the boat top to bottom before departure. New gasket in the Lewmar 700 windlass, new start battery, coach battery, fuel filter...it's a tall list.

Mark
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Colby - I like the idea of a short boat ride on my first go to Friday Harbor so I think it's best to launch from Cap Sante Marie and park the Truck/Camper in overnight parking for a few days. It would be great to connect with you and/or other Cbrats for the journey to FH if possible. It would give me some piece of mind in new water. Your info is much appreciated.

Look for C-Traveler to arrive some time late afternoon on the 9th, or mid day on the 10th. If it's later on the 9th, I'll probably be in a slip at Cap Sante somewhere, and will head out to Eagle Harbor late morning on the 10th. Colby
ThumbsUp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Look for C-Traveler to arrive some time late afternoon on the 9th, or mid day on the 10th. If it's later on the 9th, I'll probably be in a slip at Cap Sante somewhere, and will head out to Eagle Harbor late morning on the 10th.

Looking forward to meeting you! If plans change on my end, I will update.

Mark
ThumbsUp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi Mark, it’s hard to believe 8 years have past since meeting you, while you were fishing on a rented boat out of Elfin Cove in Cross Sound & we had just circled Yacobi Island.

Hi Jay! Yes, it's hard to believe it's been 8 years since we crossed pathes in Icy Straight. I hope the next eight years don't move as fast as the last eight. Your stories about you and Jolee cruising Alaska in your CDory are beautiful and inspirational and I hope one year to do the same.

My camper mounts on a flatbed so it's a bit trickier to remove/re-install than a slide in/out. It hasn't been removed since the factory install. But I agree, sleeping in the CDory and removing the camper would be the way to go.

Looking forward to seeing you again.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: