The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

03/07 - 03/09 - 2023 Hontoon Island Gathering
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Near record highs this upcoming week. Last night got down to 49 but in a few days the lows will be in the 60’s. Water levels seem back to normal. Hwy 44 bridge was at 16.75 feet.

James

Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 2 weeks till the Hontoon Island gathering so a few updates and reminders.

For those launching at Ed Stone park be sure to park as far away from the boat ramp and save the closest spots for day boaters.

No ferry service at Hontoon Island. Docks open from 8am till 4pm so use a different marina or anchor out.

Use channel 72 for docking at Hontoon.

No silent auction’s or group meals this year……just to difficult with the conditions on the island. The camp store is also closed….bring what you need.

We will have talks on Wednesday and boat gadgets on Thursday. Tuesday is arrival day and fellowship with other C-Brats.

There will be manatees in the area so be careful.

On Friday Joyce and I will be traveling for about a week on the St. John’s. Anyone that wants to join us is welcome. Just be sure to have everything you need. Supplies are not to be found easily.

Expect temperatures from 30 degrees to 90 degrees and plan accordingly.

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon….Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A note to those that want to look at C-Dorys at the gathering who are without boats.
We will do our best to transfer you across the St. John’s to and from the gathering from the park parking lot. If you have a hand held radio call on 72. If not contact me before the gathering by PM and I’ll give you a number that will get you a ride across.

Molly Brown

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power and water at the dock is working and laundry machine is up and running. Mystery Girl is here but it appears Bill is back in South Carolina for a bit. After talking to a couple rangers, John (a volunteer) and the park system building engineer it appears it’s going to be a while before things are back to normal. Website says they are down till the end of 2023. I initially thought that was a bit exaggerated but not so sure now.

James
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more days and Rosanne and I will be leaving home for our journey south. Looking forward to seeing any others that make it to the gathering. I will have my old full boat cover along if anyone is interested in it. See my link regarding it here: http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?p=370372#370372.

Also I plan to bring along two prop hubs that came off my 22 with the Mercury 115 EFI 4-Stroke. Anyone that wants them is welcome to them. Let me know if you want them, otherwise I'll be leaving them in the truck. Colby
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the “heads up” James.

Just a reminder that temperatures can run from 30 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit this time of year. Mosquitoes have not been bad so far but that can change. Plan accordingly.

We do plan on holding the 50-50 raffle this year to raise some money for the park.

Schedule….as we see it now.

Tuesday….Meet and Greet in the morning. Boat round table discussions after lunch for an hour or so. We can discuss anything boating related. Bring your questions. What we don’t finish then we’ll cover at 9am on Wednesday. Remember park is only open from 8am to 4pm.

Wednesday…. 9am Gulfcoast John will be on deck to go over questions about C-Dorys and at 10 am Dr. Bob will go over adhesives and fiberglass. You will not want to miss this. After lunch we will hold a short memorial for Larry Krabach. Larry and his wife Wendy attended many of our gatherings. Colby advised me of his passing.

Thursday……you wouldn’t want to miss our boat and galley gadgets competition. If your in need of finding more things to buy for your boat….you’ll find them here! C-Brats are always looking for ways to improve and accessorize. We will vote on favorites. Everyone attending can enter one item. Will start at 10 am. Thursday afternoon will be departure day although anyone who wants to return Friday is welcome to do so.

There will be no printed schedule this year. The group is expected to be much smaller this year but that will make it easier to connect with one another.

Please be sure to look over all the previous posts so that have everything you need.

I will be cruising after the gathering for 5 to 7 days. If anyone wants to join the cruise they are welcome. Joyce and I normally anchor out and with the damaged marina’s, this will surely be the case. If anyone has any questions call or personal message me.

Not sure when I’ll launch but certainly not later than Monday the 6th.

See you at Hontoon. Tom
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All parties coming to the gathering please signup on the Brats website and please fill out the jotform link. This information is only shared with the participants at Hontoon. I posted this before but have only received a few responses.

https://form.jotform.com/60634279765163

Thanks Tom
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks!

We plan on staying across the river at Hontoon Landing resort, arriving Monday Mar 6 PM (by car, no boat). I had the two week post-op visit today, 36 staples removed and ready to start to resume ‘normal activities’ such as falling off boats and tripping over dock lines. No long walks yet. Hope to see you next week!

John

Molly Brown

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI…..Just dropped Betty off for a run through Sanford to Gemini Springs. She tells me the Sanford day docks are open.

James
Water Bill

City/Region: Lake Keowee, SC
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: Mystery Girl (Ranger Tug R-23)
Photos: Mystery Girl and C-Swell
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy everyone,

I made it back to Hontoon last week to finish up a few projects I had started while I was here in January. It looks as if the River has dropped 2 feet since when I arrived January 1st. I don’t remember seeing it this low.

Servpro has been here for the last few weeks and has finished removing all the damaged wallboard from walls and ceilings along with flooring where ever there was damage from the flooding and mold. They removed most of the ozone machines and dehumidifiers today. There is asbestos removal in the two Ranger residences that still has to happen. I don’t believe they have a date yet for when the reconstruction contractors will be starting.

The volunteers have the docks, day use area, playground, roads, campground and a few other things looking as good as they ever have.

I know a few of you still had a few questions. I was able to talk to Devin the Park manager today and he said it would be ok for anyone that needs to charge their boat batteries during the day to use the power on the docks at no charge. (They are not set up to collect any money.) There is potable water on the docks now. The men’s and lady’s restrooms and showers are usable. All the slips are open from 8:00am to 4:00pm except for the furthest west ones. You will see yellow caution tape closing them off. There still is no ferry service.

I will try and get answers to any questions you still have.
See you all in a week.

Boston Whaler Super Sport 17 1986 to 2007
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear all that Bill. Rosanne and I are in Mattoon Il tonight, working our way to Ed Stone. We're going to spend one more day than planned with her Uncle in Trenton KY and go to a big Mennonite Fish Fry Friday night. Plan now to launch on Sunday. See yah soon. Colby
Jay n Sally

City/Region: Welaka
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Sally O’Malley
Photos: Sally O’Malley
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Idle Awhile River Resort and Port Cove RV Resort Reply with quote

For those traveling the St Johns in Georgetown(just north of Lake George) , a new restaurant has opened called Idle Awhile River Resort(formally Porky’s). They have a dock for day use. Not sure about overnight. Next door is Port Cove RV Resort. They also have a dock. Not sure about over night or electric and water at the dock. See you on the river. Jay
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI

https://www.idleawhileresort.com/

Link for Idle Awhile River Resort…..Tom
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those attending the Hontoon Hoot should know that if any mechanical breakdown forces you onto the shoulder of any FL Interstate, Parkway or Toll Road…make your first call to *357 and request Road Ranger assistance. This is a free service funded by car insurance companies that is amazingly prompt and efficient. They will likely have a big truck with lighted signs and many more red pylons than you could ever carry behind your disabled rig within minutes.

https://www.fdot.gov/traffic/roadrangers/home.htm

Coverage map is here:

https://fdot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=242d891def764fdaa9b33a4a4b79716e

We prefer to get off the Interstate at the next exit, but some in FL are 30 miles apart and some wheel bearings may melt long before that.

Safe Travels!

John
multimediasmith

City/Region: New Orleans' Northshore
State or Province: LA
Vessel Name: ENDEAVOR
Photos: ENDEAVOR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings to my fellow C-Brats… wishing you all the best of times and weather. Still resolving trailer brake issues after replacing calipers and refacing rotors. Hope to make some Gulf barrier island trips in the next couple of weeks.
Hope to rally at one of the flotilla trips
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: