The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Railing vs. Flush Rod Holders - Opinions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheSt

City/Region: Santa Rosa
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Railing vs. Flush Rod Holders - Opinions? Reply with quote

First let me say thank you to this community. I bought a 16' Angler about a month ago and I have really enjoyed the deep dive through C-Brats. Greatly appreciated.

I live in Northern California and will predominately be rock fishing, salmon, and crabbing. My Angler is a blank slate for rigging.

Downriggers will be bolted down.

Initially, I thought I would bore some holes and install flush mount rod holders and be done...but lately the versatility of a rail-mounted system for rod holders and fillet/crab pot table seems to sit better with me.

Any advice out there? Pics of your set-up would be great.

Thank,
-Nate[/b]
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate, first off, congratulations on the purchase of your new to you C-Dory 16 Angler and being a part of C-Brats. I know you are considering a rail-mounted system for rod holders and fillet/crab pot table but you may wish to consider putting in some Burnewiin mounts on your boat. https://burnewiin.com/ We have two of these and they are used for our downrigger, crab pot davit, rod holder and to hold up the aft end of our kayak while cruising the San Juans. They can also be used for tables and cutting boards, a marine BBQ, knive holder and a number of other uses. We have photos in our album showing their use under additions to the boat.
TheSt

City/Region: Santa Rosa
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

Burnewiin and Day Break's setup is impressive. I hope to duplicate much of it overtime.

There are a couple of track systems that are interesting but I have realized that any additional height/obstruction to the gunnel makes it pretty difficult to climb into the trailered boat. Although they are versatile, they take away a clear/clean gunnel, otherwise a great place to sit and for kids to jump off into the lake, etc. Not sure I want to give that up.
Safetythird

City/Region: Hopkinton
State or Province: MA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer flush mount because when I'm fighting a fish and if I have to follow it, I don't want any obstacles in the way.

That and a lot of the fish fighting is done by my kids, and they have limited height still.
JMacLeod

City/Region: Stuart
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-Shalom
Photos: JMacLeod
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for flush mount.

I started with the cheaper rail mount ones and they didn't hold too well and scratched/dented the railing when any big mahi or tuna hit the line.

I switched to the style on the left to avoid the scratches, but they still like to rotate a little on the rail if something big gets on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: