The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New guy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim-in-delaware

City/Region: Southern
State or Province: DE
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject: New guy Reply with quote

I'll just wanted to take a minute and go ahead and introduce myself. I'm 62 and one week away from retirement. Very Happy

I'm looking for a boat that my wife and I can travel the country with. I would love to have a C-Dory 22, Venture 23, or even a C-Dory 25 (although likely outside my budget). I'll likely seriously start shopping for a new (to me) boat in a couple of weeks.

Jim

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard! Congratulations on retirement. It is a wonderful time to catch up on all those great things in life that you didn't have time to DO...After you are retired, you wonder how you had time to Work.

I have a suspicion that the used C Dory prices will come down a bit. But if you hear of, or see a good boat, don't hesitate--check out the boat and buy it even if miles away. Some of the C Dory's sold in a week or less. The last two I sold, were sold in a couple of day...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
crowleykirk

City/Region: Friday Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2020
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Life
Photos: C-Life
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject: Try to sea trial one Reply with quote

Hello, congrats on your retirement. Highly, highly recommend going out on a C-Dory in the size range you are thinking. It all depends on your use. They are great boats and build very well.

But...and this is a big one and most here will debate. Just make sure a C-Dory is enough boat for what you indent to do. They are amazing with some limitations.

We purchased a brand new 23 Venture. Loved the boat. Until we took it into mixed swells and waves. We did not get to use it as we originally intended. And when that changed to more open water we really disliked the C-Dory. Not big enough or capable enough. Really had to time the weather, which is always the case but even more so in a C-Dory. Obviously the larger you go this will change some what.

Now many here will argue, but the proof in the puddings is getting the boat in the conditions you think you'll be in. She is a fair weather boat. Does not like waves over 3 feet, wind over 12 knots and she is a complete bobbing cork in a mixed swell with waves and wind.

On flat and mild days she is such a pleasure. Doesn't eat much fuel and handles like a dream.

Like I said she is well build and a great boat. Many here have taken their boats in very rough water and do so often. All depends on what your comfort level is.

We sold ours and are looking to buy another NMI boat but this time a larger SeaSport.

The community is amazing for C-Dory owners. You will get every opinion under the sun and most are very valid. All I can say is just get out on one in your intended cruising ground and preferably on a not so good day. You may fall in love or you may decide on a different boat.

We regretted buying a C-Dory. Our intended use changed and that is on us. Nothing wrong with the boat in mild to good conditions.
Just research their capabilities. Learn how they are built. Learn about her hull and you will understand what she is designed for. And decide what comfort level you would like. Or your spout would like, that is another huge consideration. I was much more comfortable than my wife.

We all do this in life, buy something and not use it as intended because that's what we could afford or some other reason. I really think this is where a C-Dory lies.
She is a total compromise boat. We did it too. We could not afford the boat we really wanted so we settled. And paid the price. And I stress and take full responsibility for this, as I stated our use changed.

NMI is an amazing company to work with. They completely support their products.

Good luck in you search and if you decide the C-Dory is the perfect match for you and your needs I know you will be very happy. And like I said, I think C-Brats is one of if not the best boating community online you will find. Super friendly and positive and helpful folks.

I wish the SeaSports had a community like this.

Smile

DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kirk and good to hear from you again. Looking at our photo album, your 23 Venture was one of the nicest and most outfitted I have ever seen. Sorry that the purchase did not work out for you.

Kirk makes some good points. We are still quite pleased with the ownership of our 23 Venture. Our use is mostly 15 to 25 miles offshore out of Newport, Oregon to fish. We do look for the best ocean conditions and when those are marginal, we are still able to go out but at a slower speed. Once at the fishing grounds, we find the larger deep V boats are bobbing about more than us due to our flat bottom C-Dory design. They travel much faster than us when there is chop but we enjoy a more stable fishing platform. One thing I appreciate about the C-Dory is that it is a relatively light boat and easily trailerable. The fuel economy is at-least 50% better than a similar sized deep-V. I also like that they can be outfitted with a smaller and lighter motor over a Sea Sport for example. My favorite boats are a Sea Sport Explorer 2400 or a Skagit Orca 24 XLC Extended Cabin but for now we will stay with a C-Dory. NMI is a great boat builder and they do make quality and tough designed boats.

We have video in our photo album showing what it is like traveling in a C-Dory with going out and coming back from Newport, Oregon at absolute worse conditions for a comfortable ride if anyone is interested.

johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Try to sea trial one Reply with quote

crowleykirk wrote:
Does not like waves over 3 feet, wind over 12 knots

Smile

No 22 to 25 foot boat is going to thrive in 4 foot waves.
duff

City/Region: thompson falls
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 2008
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good point, Kirk makes a good point to know what your primary use of the boat is going to be. If your cruising lakes and river and inlets with a little boaterhoming there is no better boat than a 22 or 25 Cdory. For lots of ocean boating crossing channels. My Dyer 29 lobster boat was way better for that than my Cdory 25. Big waves in the Dyer were no big deal in my 25 CDory you could do it but if thats your primary use of the boat is crossing the Dixon entrance or lots of open water wind against current stuff there are better choices. That being said I just sold my Dyer 29 because now my primary cruising will be lakes and rivers and an occasional trip to the ocean.
And guess what im going to go back to a CDory 22. That’s if i can find one.
Just one man’s thoughts on the matter.
Duff.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a boat that may be better for rougher water, you might want to look at the Eastern Boats Cape Breton 22. It's basically a 22' version of the 246. There are pros and cons about the interior compared to a 22 cruiser, but it does have a different hull.
jim-in-delaware

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all of the replies. Apologies, that I haven't responded sooner, but who knew post-retirement life could be so busy? Although, part of it is do to moving into a newly build home and having what seems like a thousand projects to do.

My budget would rule out a new boat. That's okay as I would be perfectly happy with an older, well cared for boat. Budget has also been recently cut as I have decided to take my wife on an extended retirement trip next year.

My boating will be mostly rivers, bays, and occasionally near shore on nice days. A 22' boat would be the perfect size for both my needs and budget.

I am ready to start my search for a 22 C-Dory. Being on the east coast, however, does limit the number of boats available. I'm hoping to find a boat in the Eastern U.S. (including the Great Lakes region) as it's a long drive to and from the West Coast.

Jim
duff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that use there is no better boat on the planet i believe. Ive tried a number of different ones and for lakes and river inlets a little camping. I just used my 25 as camper to. Would pull in to a state park or KOA then pull it down to the river or lake pull out to an island. And you have the best of both worlds. Take a few minutes or hours and read about El and Bills Travel on their CD 22 on this site, opens up a whole world of fun.
Have fun.
Duff
jim-in-delaware

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being an easily to trailer boat for overnighting is one of the main reasons that I am interested in the 22' C-Dory. I would love to be able to hitch it up to my truck and just go away for one or two weeks. High on my bucket list would be to transit the Trent-Severn Waterway and spend a week on the Georgian Bay. Very Happy

Jim
duff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Fun. There is a 2006 listed at a dealer in Florida for 49000
If they would take 40000 it would be interesting. There is an add for in on this sight in the for sell section.
Have fun.
Duff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: