View previous topic :: View next topic  
mutski

City/Region: Homer
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Just Us
Photos: Just Us
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject: Trimming for head and following seas Reply with quote

A friend recently pointed out that trim tabs can push the bow down, but only motor trim can push the bow up. That was a break-through in my understanding of how to trim my 22-Cruiser for following seas. I had been simply raising the trim tabs and finding the bow still dug into the wave ahead. But using motor trim to lift the bow, I find I can cruise downwind in 3' seas with no tendency to broach. Much better!

Going into the wind, I can use both motor and trim tabs to bring the bow down and achieve a reasonably smooth ride at 12-15 mph. Even running into the chop, motor trim seems to have a much greater effect than the trim tabs. It seems the trim tabs are most useful for leveling the boat from side-to-side while the motor is most useful for raising or lowering the bow.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get the best ride also add a Permatrim foil to the motor.

Some like more weight in the bow---and that can be contraprodutive in following seas. It is harder to trim the bow up.

There is always a balance--and the reason that the trim has to be worked just like the throttle and steering, especially in challenging seas. There is a reason that offshore race boats have a helmsman, and a throttle man who tends to both throttles and trim. Full time job in these fast boats.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I see Bob made much the same point while I was typing.)

Another thing to remember about trim tabs and foils is that their effects are related directly to the speed of the boat. In neutral, or at anchor, or sitting at the dock, you can adjust the tabs and foils all you want and the attitude (pitch, roll, or yaw) of your boat will be unaffected. On the other hand, at WOT you need to be careful how quickly and how far you adjust tabs and foils. The effect of a sudden change in foil angle at high speed can be dramatic! At moderate speeds, the effects of tabs and foils are, well, moderate.

The lesson I take away from this is that you should do everything you can to keep your boat in good trim with weight distribution. You might put a lot of weight in your bow to help keep the nose down when going into chop thinking you will rely on your foil to raise the bow as needed when going with the waves. If the seas are in such a state that you really need to slow down, guess what - at slower speeds your tabs and foil will have less effect on controlling your bow. The same principle applies in side-to-side balancing.

When I was heavily loaded for long range cruising, I tried to keep significant weight in gear and supplies in duffel bags that could easily be moved around to assist in trim control.

C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find my trim tabs to be very effective above 20 mph and I just about always travel at slower speeds. So I enlarged my tt's with stainless steel plates and they are much more effective at my usual speeds of 12-18 mph. Had to make my own Permatrims to avoid interference between the tt's and pt.

MTCW, Jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: