The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Greetings and Head Question: How important is it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have towed a lot of boats in the last 65 or so years, with all sorts of vehicles up to a 42 foot RV towing a 22 or a 25.

The size and type of tow vehicle does make a difference. I towed 25's mostly with a 30' RV V 10, with beefed up transmission and frame for class IV hitch. The other was a 3/4 ton Diesel Excursion. Then more recently with a 1/2 ton Yukon XL, then a 3/4 tone diesel Pick up. Yes the 1/2 ton vehicles will tow, especially the newer ones like Colby has. But the 3/4 makes it safer and a better tow experience.

There are some good older pickups and large SUVs which will be great tow vehicles. Consider the 25 has having a tow weight closet to 7500 #, maybe up to 8500# depending on fuel, water and gear. The brakes are very important, and the Electric over hydraulic are a real plus on the larger boats. More modern trucks will get much better mileage. I had trucks in the past which got 8 miles per gallon when towing boats. More modern are in the 16 to up to 20 mpg.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to consider a "dry flush" toilet such as a Laveo. Not composting, but disposal of the waste might be less unpleasent than a porta-potti and easier than finding a working pump out.

https://dry-flush.com/

The only question is how the authorities in some places will take it.

BTW, I have no experience with this toilet, just noting that it is a potential option.
gobdav@yahoo.com

City/Region: Powell
State or Province: TN
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting points and a huge thanks to you for making them. It gives me hope that I can tow the 25 with a F-150 but I'll definitely be cognizant of the type of brakes, transmission, and engine. I think I might focus on getting a slip at first. Lot's of waterways in TN that I can explore for the first year or so. I just don't know if I can afford a huge truck and a 25.

This middle-class teacher/firefighter combo has larger dreams than our pockets, lol.

I wish I had an opportunity to get on one, but we're in an area that has lots of boats, just not types like these. I read all these posts to the wife and she definitely thinks the 25 is worth it. She doesn't want to deal with me having an "emergency" somewhere on the water. And when we buy something, we keep it for a LONG time, so if we buy a C-Dory, we don't plan on selling it until its run aground. We will go with the 25 then find a way to tow it.

Now just gotta find one we can afford!

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, there is a gathering of C-Dorys at Prizer Point Marina on Lake Barkley at Land Between the Lakes, the first week of October, if you can get there. I'll have my 25 and hopefully there will be a showing of 22's and Tomcats. Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marie (Wife/Admiral) and I will be at this gathering, at least unless something stops us. You may want to have your wife talk with Marie about selection of boats (I have to admit she likes the Tom Cat the best, but I will clue her in about the 25!. Although Gigi's experience is limited, she will be happy to clue any other canines about the advantages of the C Dory 25.

We will be in our RV, (25' "A" type on a Sprinter Chassis at the camp ground, but on the waterfront.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had originally wanted a 22. We (The Admiral) and I went to a boat show. They did not have a 25 available. We stepped into the 22 Cruiser that they did have at the show. First thing out of her mouth "Oh...this is way too small". Second this was "Where's the bathroom/toilet?" Porta Potty? "Oh...hell no".

Once we did step into the cabin of the 25 that a dealer had, she was "sold". Having a head on board, with the option of using as a shower, makes a huge difference in comfort, convenience etc. The maintenance is pretty limited compared to the benefit.

The 25 also has more interior volume. Although, as some noted is heavier & larger to tow. I already had a 3/4 ton diesel p/u as I had an enclosed car hauler. So for us, there was no debating. Happy wife. Happy life.

Ironically, now we consider the 25 too small also. We are considering moving up to something larger that we can live on for 6 months a year once the Mrs retires.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having a 22 cruiser for awhile, my wife and I considered getting a 25. After searching the internet for 25s for sale and considering a couple of them, we decided that a 22 was perfectly fine for our use. We only used the boat for a couple of weeks at a time and decided that the added features (and associated hassles) of a 25 was not worth it. If we cruised on our boat for months at a time vs. weeks, we might have come to a different conclusion.
gobdav@yahoo.com

City/Region: Powell
State or Province: TN
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
After having a 22 cruiser for awhile, my wife and I considered getting a 25. After searching the internet for 25s for sale and considering a couple of them, we decided that a 22 was perfectly fine for our use. We only used the boat for a couple of weeks at a time and decided that the added features (and associated hassles) of a 25 was not worth it. If we cruised on our boat for months at a time vs. weeks, we might have come to a different conclusion.

We are currently going back/forth as well, and I think we are going to go with the 22 or the 23 Venture being probably the end-goal.

I would love to get to the gathering at Land Between The Lakes to meet some of you fine folks. Talking about it with the wife, we just can't make it with our schedules. (teacher and firefighter)

If any of you'all pass through Knoxville, decide to make a pit stop and are comfortable with us poking around your boat, we would love to just take a look. 22-25.

Again, I appreciate everyone's thorough responses here.

Dave & Sandra
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: