The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Engine Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John&Robin

City/Region: Freeland
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Biscuit (was Wanda Fuca!)
Photos: C-Biscuit
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Engine Help Reply with quote

Hi-
We have Honda 40's on our 22, about 300 hours. I've just started doing the maintenance myself. Last oil change the starboard engine was milky and over-full. I put it down to condensation from lots of idling during crabbing, refilled and hoped for the best. I'm now having a small oil sheen on the water surface, both idling and with the engine off at the dock. I'm planning to pull the boat out to investigate. Any thoughts on what to look for?
Thanks,
John

SnowTexan

City/Region: Carlton
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Miss Maria
Photos: Miss Maria
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like water in the oil. Thermostat, head gasket. I’d cross my fingers and check to make sure theres not some thermostat hanging half out or something goofy. Is there oil on the surface of the motor anywhere? Some gasket or part designed to keep water OUT has likely failed.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a problem with my oil. I would see a sheen when the boat was still in the water.

Turned out that I didn't tighten one of the rocker cover bolts last time I checked the valve clearance. Had oil all down the inside of the engine covers. However, this did not allow any water to get into the oil.
SnowTexan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to clarify the thermostat comments i made pre-coffee. Your thermostat is unlikely to be allowing water in through leakage, but it is possible it is failed in the open position. This would be an easy and relatively inexpensive fix. If you have trouble locating thermostats I have twin bf40’s and I believe a couple of spares and will be on the west side next week for an airport run.

Nigel
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water in the oil from the thermostat sticking open is from condensation and generally minimal. There should not be lots of it if the oil change interval has been followed. A small oil sheen on the water often happens after a fresh oil change - lots of reasons for it, mostly because you just can't get it off everything all the way. And the oil from the filter generally drains downward into places you can't always get to. It would not surprise me at all this is where the sheen is coming from.

Since it doesn't sound like you've really torn into anything, check the basics. Is the drain plug tight? Did you use a new plug washer? If not....they are a one time usage item because they can leak. Is your new filter tight? Did you accidently double gasket the filter? Is your oil still looking good after a few hours usage? If it is, and it's not filling up on you and getting milky, I suspect the sheen will disappear in short order on its own.

If you are getting water in your oil and it is not from the drain plug or condensation from a stuck T-stat, which you should check and change, then it must be a crack in your engine block/head or the head gasket. I hope it's not that. Head gaskets do fail and blocks and heads crack - mostly with engines that have been overheated.
John&Robin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are great and I really appreciate the expertise available here. I replaced the stats during this last service but suppose one could be bad... I like the waste oil idea best and will keep fingers crossed on that. Nigel, your offer of thermostats is extremely kind, thanks! I ordered Boats.net parts to stock everything that went into the servicing and have replacements, but some parts had long delays.
SnowTexan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John&Robin wrote:
You guys are great and I really appreciate the expertise available here. I replaced the stats during this last service but suppose one could be bad... I like the waste oil idea best and will keep fingers crossed on that. Nigel, your offer of thermostats is extremely kind, thanks! I ordered Boats.net parts to stock everything that went into the servicing and have replacements, but some parts had long delays.

Hope it turns out to be a small thing!
Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A failed thermostat will cause water to condense in the oil, and depending on circumstances, the amount of condensation can be far from minimal. The good news is if that's the source, there won't be any salt.
T.R. Bauer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almas Only wrote:
A failed thermostat will cause water to condense in the oil, and depending on circumstances, the amount of condensation can be far from minimal. The good news is if that's the source, there won't be any salt.

It can happen, you're right. But it is pretty rare if the outboards are also run normally and not just idled all the time. I did say generally. An oil analysis from Blackstone Labs does check for sodium levels. If the problem continues that is where I would be sending my oil, because if salt is in it, then one can rule t-stats, prolonged idling, and the resulting condensation that only happened on one engine. It sounds like the t-stats were just changed, so I doubt that is it...probably just residual oil from the last oil change is causing the sheen. I know my boat does that no matter how clean I think I get things after changing the oil. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious.
John&Robin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled the boat leaving some crabs for the rest of you and I found oil leaking from the joint above the extension case, through a gap where the under cover rubber is missing. About half of it is gone. It's a slow but steady ooze. Is replacing the seal enough or should I be looking for something additional? And what might cause the seal to be missing? Here are some photos:
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album3444&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Many thanks for your thoughts!
John
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure on the 40s, but on my Honda 90, the exterior covers are for decoration. If oil is getting on the outside of the cover, it means that oil is spraying on the inside of the cover from someplace on the engine and it is running down the inside 'til it finds a way out.
John&Robin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it turned out to be another self-inflicted wound- the oil filter was leaking. I couldn't see it without a flashlight and careful watching while running. I couldn't tighten it enough to stop the drip so changed the oil and replaced it with a new one. This was the first NAPA Gold filter I've used on the boat and now I'm back to Hondas. I've read here that the NAPA Gold filters are solid but I think I'm going to stick with Hondas now. Ready for more summer fun.
Thanks again to the brain trust!
John
T.R. Bauer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great news and I'm glad you got it figured out Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: