The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Axle location

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailor-d

State or Province: Other
Photos: Sailor-D
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Axle location Reply with quote

Have ordered new Road Runner 4500LB to replace my EZLoader and want to get it right this time.
I have looked a many album pictures and see that on a tandem trailered 22 Cruiser the forward axle hub is generally in line anywhere between the cabin bulkhead and 8"or so forward.
Given a million variables on either side of the ethereal centre of balance has anyone found the sweet spot to give the 10% or so ideal tongue weight?
I suspect the most accurate dimension would be from the bottom edge of the transom to the centre of the forward axle presuming that the bunk/roller is flush with the edge. Are there any other variables; eg relationship of bunk/rollers to the frame that come into play? My physics are weak.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Dave
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

My front axle centerline is 95" from the transom where it sits on the bunk. The tandem axle pair center rocker is 78" from the transom.

I think my tongue weight is a little over 10%, but I don't know exactly what it is.

On edit: My 22 cruiser is equipped with a 70hp two-stroke(250lbs) and an 8hp two-stroke kicker(70lbs). If you have heavier motors the axle carrier probably has to be moved aft some.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Brooks Cooper

City/Region: Camas
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: Coop's Cruiser
Photos: Coop's Cruiser
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't really need to move the axle's. Move the Bow stand forward or back until you get to the proper tounge weight. If you can't get the proper tounge weight then mess with axle's or if the boat hangs to far back off the end of trailer. I just went through this when I re-trailerd last summer. Brooks
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea Brooks!.........you must be one of those clever Firefighters who dig boats.
I had to do some major foolin around with my trailer. Both the bow stand and sliding the axel. Granted only a single axel. I'd recommend to clearly mark the start location with a sharpie marker. Then adjust and until you get the desired results.

Chris
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also went through the winch post slide and then the axle slide several times on my new RoadRunner single axle railer until I got the correct balance. That was a giant PITA. I have marks-a-lot marks all over the frame trying to get it right. After getting it right I installed fairly large side bunks and that screwed it all up again.
It was worth it though as this set-up roads much better than my old EZ Loader.
The thing that concerned me is that the RR main members are smaller than the old EZ Loader. It turns out that because it is a welded frame the RR is much stiffer.
A picture of it is in my photo album.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: